Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla, TSLA & the Investment World: the Perpetual Investors' Roundtable

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Tesla has always paid wholesale on trade-ins. That hasn't changed. Using returns as service loaners is just good business because the cost is lower and it frees up a new car sale.

My buddy has a P85 that he was thinking of trading for a P90D. A few months ago he go a trade in quote of 33k i believe but didn't go through with trade in. A few months later he saw anothe P90D but this time his trade in value was at 21k which is a steep drop considering only two months difference. He was dissapointed and will be keeping his drivers edition P85 until the wheels fall off. Tesla is turning off lots of cureent customers by terrible trade in values hence the low demand for S and X IMO

DBFE548E-64BB-430F-B499-623FEDADC0AF.png

Ark buys some more Tesla

Give Tesla credit for one, they are efficient when designing vehicles. Note this from the Model 3

"From initial sketches to production launch was about two years. We made three prototypes, two of them operating vehicles. Once the mission was defined, our orders were to hurry."

The Man Behind the Model 3: Franz von Holzhausen | Automobile Magazine

Tesla's cash outlaw in developing vehicles in small compared to legacy auto makers. Try to imagine Honda only making three protoypes of the next generation Honda Accord.

The Blue running Y will probably be the only prototype. Tesla did state at the beginning of the year, they have gotten smarter in spending capex.

LG Chem's attitude of blackmailing its customers (they did it to VW) is not going to go over well. They also appear to be a high cost producer. They'll be around for a while, but I'm sort of writing them off now.

BYD is serious, of course. CATL is very serious and I've even been tempted to invest.

Is there any good thread on battery companies and current and future supply as well as car manufactures investment in those future supplies? Seems a key element to keep track of as an investor.

Five people managed to disagree with something I guess they don't know about and didn't bother checking it.

View attachment 409960

The source is Eli Burton

That may have been true when he produced that content, but it is no longer the case.

Did you expect him to take the video down once the hurdles were past and Tesla could deliver vehicles? :rolleyes:

Good points!

Even in the U.S., the on-going FUD (fire stories, AP crashes) combined with stock price in free fall will clearly scare off some buyers and as a by-product lessens demand.

Even though Elon's email was twisted by the press, the question is whether it needed to come out at all. Just institute an enhanced expense review and low-play it.
Anecdotally, I believe this to be true in the US -- buyers being scared off by the bad news and fear of Tesla going bankrupt. I have heard it from friends both in person and friends on social media. Even if there is interest, when there is doubt, people just wait.

The big question is what Q2 (and Q3) shipment numbers will be. They will tell the story with data. Hopefully they will not be surrounded with a bunch of qualifications, explanations, and excuses like Q1's numbers were.

Let's be real, if the CEO of a multibillion dollar issues a company wide email saying he is going to personally review every (10th) expense report, that's a huge cause for concern about the company's current financial state and how it's being run. I think my Model 3 is the best car I've owned (in 50 years of owning cars) and I really want Tesla to succeed as a company, but they are certainly testing our faith.

Last edited:
Let's be real, if the CEO of a multibillion dollar issues a company wide email saying he is going to personally review every (10th) expense report, that's a huge cause for concern about the company's current financial state and how it's being run. I think my Model 3 is the best car I've own and I really want Tesla to succeed as a company, but they are certainly testing our faith.
Didn't they review expenses pretty seriously in the past? I vaguely recall reading something in the last year or two.

This isn't exactly news except the poorly worded email with hyperbole. What else would you want them to do? Continue wasting money and blow through the capital raise?

Did I say no demand? Don’t make ridiculous straw man arguments.

The disaster that was Q1 and the follow up messaging about robo taxi, plus email last week, mixed with China issues led to this.

It’s troubling people react so strongly to mild criticism of the company even after one of its worst quarters ever.
I do not think you can objectively call Q1 2019 "one of its worst quarters ever". Take a look at earlier quarters.

Agreed. It has not only gotten in the mainstream public but also institutional buyers.

Definitely. As crazy as it sounds, this extreme FUD even seeps into the minds of hardcore bulls like Ross Gerber and me (and others here on TMC). Don't remember which one of these, but Ross basically hints at this in some of his comments about his Fremont factory visit with his wife in our recent podcast chat:

https://cleantechnica.com/2019/04/1...tions-cleantech-talk-with-ross-gerber-part-2/

https://cleantechnica.com/2019/04/1...-desk-cleantech-talk-with-ross-gerber-part-3/

I also referenced it in my first review of the Model 3 (which Elon retweeted): https://cleantechnica.com/2018/07/1...-better-than-i-expected-cleantechnica-review/

This is why very obsessive messaging (done by the FUDsters, the USA's giant orange con, a certain historical figure named Hisler or something like that, and plenty of marketing directors) is so effective. Even if it is illogical, incorrect, and blatantly self-promotional, it seeps into human minds and gets absorbed to varying degrees over time.

I still think Tesla should be doing a much better job writing a daily (or so) blog in order to do a better job shaping the narrative and giving tech/business writers something to cover in between big news. If they are being fed nonsense from short sellers & their friends on an obsessive basis and they are expected to write about Tesla quite a lot because Tesla brings in views, better to have more substantial material from Tesla (about its products, its manufacturing processes, its R&D, its employees, its customers, etc.) that can help give them an ongoing narrative and source of data/information.

(Just sayin', of course.)

yeah that's what bothers me too. my investment thesis of Tesla becoming a bigger and bigger cash cow (post achieving roughly 5k a week on the Model 3) after each successful model introduction is a bit shaky right now.
Really? That thesis seems perfectly sound, and is still my thesis, but they haven't surpassed 5k/week Model 3 consistently yet.

directly related to softer demand than Tesla anticipated. Musk basically conceded as much when he said that "people want to buy the Model 3, but the price is just too high" (I'm paraphrasing).

Musk was referring to the lower trim/range version of the Model 3 not being available yet. He wasn’t conceding that the prices of the available editions were too high.

About demand. I still see people in the Benelux fb group unhappy that their car is not on the current, or not even on the next ship. That doesn’t look like a short term demand issue.

And about long term demand: I have four friends that discussed with me their potential plans to buy a Model 3. They all have perfectly fine cars now, they are not in a hurry to replace their current car. They all have in common that they don’t want to spend too much money on a car.
One of them is probably closest to actually buying one. The second one is very interested in a Model 3, but it needs to have a similar tco as his mid range car. He’s now more or less convinced of that. The third one has a max purchase price in his mind that is just a little bit lower than the currently cheapest model. The fourth one considers a Model 3 to be similar in price as his current one.

I’m pretty sure eventually this will lead to 2 to 4 Model 3 sales. They will figure out reasons to spend more on those cars, they will delay their purchase by maybe a year or 2 to increase their budget. The point is that they don’t drive premium cars, and yet they want to buy a Model 3. There is no (long term) demand problem.

Point is, Elon didn’t even have to write that email or include such details. Also a CEO running two company’s should not be revieweing expenses individually. It signals red flags to the market

Reviewing expenses personally is something Musk actually has a good record at, unlike most CEOs. The value engineering of the Roadster was very important, for example.

This is old. The regulatory hurdles were cleared and people started taking delivery last week.
If this is true, and I sincerely hope it is, why have we not seen VIN #s and only one verification of a Raven received on TMC? IMO, the timely delivery of Ravens could make all the difference in Q2 deliveries. TIA.