Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla, TSLA & the Investment World: the Perpetual Investors' Roundtable

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
D7k3UW5XsAAWdYe.jpg:large
Can you do the above graph in gigawatt hours please, or perhaps w/o PHEVS
Many thanks

Possible for EU, unlikely for China. We have multiple reports of China sales being not that great - so this adds to the evidence.

The FUD in China is strong:

Model S fire.
Model 3 build quality, blah blah blah
Autopilot safety concern, blah blah blah
Range Anxiety (people are so misinformed)

Plus, paid negative online comments have a long history in China. Sigh.

Screen Shot 2019-05-30 at 1.09.52 pm.png

Astonishing 'like' ratio on these two tweets.

I mean, really, there's little difference between having a private jet and having a private jet with a salary. Compared to the importance of the FUD war, it's practically irrelevant.

I would assume that anybody aware of the FUD campaign would summon the energy to click the heart on the upper tweet, yet it draws about one seventh the 'likes'.

This is telling us that even among Musk's followers, the majority don't have a clue what's going on.

Respectfully disagree with the bolded part above - there are plenty of winning stocks in past bear markets, and Tesla is also no longer the “Speculation play”i t used to be 5+ years ago - today it earns enough revenue and operating cashflow, and is growing at a rate to warrant a market cap in the tens of billions.

I think the most important takeaways are:
1. Don’t own TSLA on margin
2. Don’t invest money needed in the short term in TSLA

The more I drive my Model 3, the less I want "more". I had to drive a rental Buick for the last 4 days while out of town. Hated, hated, HATED it. Chrome, buttons, knobs, gauges, displays, switches, crap everywhere. Really made me miss my 3.

Dan

Remember, people said the same thing about the iPhone when it first came out... "People want BUTTONS, where are the BUTTONS!"

It is unbelievable at this stage tesla still does not consider charge higher delivery fees for the remote markets. Customers understand the extra fees due to higher delivery cost.

I have to say somebody with better financial/accounting background in tesla should stand up to Elon. Please give up the stupid ideas of uniform pricing(except for tax reasons) across all markets. It is really for the sake of the mission.

Cost cutting is nice but be realistic how much cost you can cut if you are limited by production capacity in 1 year?

New email from Elon, via electrek.

Tesla needs to catch up on deliveries for record quarter, focus on cost, says Elon Musk in leaked email - Electrek

“While our demand is strong, we have a lot of vehicle deliveries to catch up to in order to have a successful quarter.”

“We also need to address the total cost of getting a car from our factory to the customer. Last quarter, there were many expedites fees and routing inefficiencies that led to higher than expected delivery costs. This makes it much harder for to* break even.”

“Per my earlier email, if we execute well, Q2 will be an all-time record for Tesla vehicle deliveries and an awesome victory!!”

Last edited:
He also opened the *first* question of a Tesla conference call asking about Mars and Tesla applications on Mars. Musk said "Mars? Really? That's your question?" And basically said, no, Tesla has nothing to do with Mars.

Jonas also, if you remember, valued Tesla Network (still vaporware) at multibillions, while simultaneously valuing Tesla Energy (which was producing profit right that minute) at zero. This is an idiot.

Don't forget about his doozy about Tesla self-driving hardware going Skynet on us during a CC.

On Musk's $2.3B 2018 salary hit piece:

What is so blatant about this particular FUD is, these guys are not even broaching on a subject of a matter of opinion.

For example, if you write a hit piece that company is going bankrupt, on an highly skewed analysis based on some imagined -ve future conditions. That is a matter of opinion. You can let it go. But how can you write utter rubbish on a black and white fact? Musk's contract is public information and it clearly says he will not get a dime unless the stock triples.

Once Charlie Grant from WSJ wrote that lie, every other outfit picked it up and amplified it with their own embellishments. None of them have retracted their story so far.

Outright lying is fair game for MSM.

If they can lie and get away from such a plain simple fact that is easily verified by anyone, just imagine the dishonesty these guys would exhibit on issues that have shades of grey.

The Chinese economy is a lot weaker IMHO, than many think.

Not sure how China's economy really is, the communist party is good at hiding things and possibly cooking up stuff.

But one thing I'm pretty sure is that they don't want to lose face and they want to show their strength to the Chinese people (it's so sad that many have been successfully brainwashed).

So I think it's going to take quite some time, especially when the counterpart is an idiotic US president.

It is unbelievable at this stage tesla still does not consider charge higher delivery fees for the remote markets. Customers understand the extra fees due to higher delivery cost.

At least here in the USA it is illegal to do that. Everyone has to pay exactly the same destination charge. For other markets they do charge more.

But starting up production of the Model Y in 2019 allows Tesla to tap into the growing SUV segment sooner rather than later ...
Musk had earlier thought they would build Model Y in Nevada. That would mean brand new equipment in brand new factory etc. That would obviously take a lot of time.

But now that they have apparently decided they will build Model Y in Fremont, is it really possible to expedite the production and start making sample cars in 2019 itself ? I know many had hoped that they would make Y in 2019 and were disappointed when Tesla announced 2020 date. But 2019 feasible - even for Tesla ?

Expecting Elon Musk to change based on what you think is right is just insanity. Excerpt from Ashlee Vance book:

View attachment 413392

As a shareholder, I am fine with this approach and I don't want him to change. It does not make sense to have a tight internal goal and a loose externally published timeline because the employees will realise that they will get additional time and slack off.

F Wall Street and their short sighted and short term view - Worst idea to force a square peg into a round hole.

I am not fine with this approach as the pee will spray back all over his pants and the floor. Relax Elon