Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla, TSLA & the Investment World: the Perpetual Investors' Roundtable

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Yeah, take a sedan, make it longer, but also make it a bit taller, where the width is the smallest and practicality gain is the highest. Add in an extra row of seats if it gets too big.

Exact naming doesn't really matter: we can call the larger one the Model "X" and the smaller one the Model "Y".

Done, that's all that Tesla needs instead of a hatchback!

I think we should tell Tesla that we've figured out the most effective form factor strategy for them? :D
I was unaware of whichever prior model they added a row to (EDIT) to make the model X... what model Tesla was it?

Sounds like all you're saying is no station wagon is needed.

I was unaware of whichever prior model they added a row to (EDIT) to make the model X... what model Tesla was it?

Sounds like all you're saying is no station wagon is needed.
Man, a Model X with a 2nd row seat delete would be awesome for gear transport. Falcon Wing doors allow for large item loading via the side that you can't get with a traditional car door.

The taxes are based on profits from output from the China factory,
I think it's based on production, not profits. Mostly VAT, which applies whether you make a profit or not.

He is intentionally lying about the China factory. Over and over he says Tesla is MOVING production to China when in fact they are expanding production in the USA. He implies that were will be US job losses when instead their will be job gains in the USA.
IMHO Model 3 production in Fremont will drop as Shanghai comes online. They'll fill the Fremont gap with Model Y production.

I think it's based on production, not profits. Mostly VAT, which applies whether you make a profit or not.

IMHO Model 3 production in Fremont will drop as Shanghai comes online. They'll fill the Fremont gap with Model Y production.
Funny thing is the VAT gets paid whether or not the car is made in the US. I expect making them in China actually significantly reduces the taxes China collects.

This article talks about Panasonic's profit being down, and mentions "exclusive battery cell supplier for Tesla", but doesn't connect the dots. I will try to research whether some, or any, of this shortfall is Tesla related. The rest of the article implies that it's mostly related to Chinese market trade tension.
Panasonic's Q1 profit down 44%, misses estimates

Later edit: Yes, the reference to Tesla is FUD. The report (Q1 of FY2020) is available here: IR Information - About Us - Panasonic

The automotive segment actually grew 6% YoY.
Automotive battery revenue obviously grew because Tesla built 87k cars instead of 53k.
Battery operating profit did not improve, despite the higher volume. They don't say it outright, but this almost certainly means they again lost money on their Tesla business. Fiscal Q1 last year was a total disaster, which they attributed to ramp-up problems (aka manufacturing hell).

Funny thing is the VAT gets paid whether or not the car is made in the US. I expect making them in China actually significantly reduces the taxes China collects.
Great point. I don't know about 'significantly reduces', though. I see a small reduction per vehicle, hopefully more than offset by higher sales volume.

• Informative
Reactions: Fact Checking
By who and how? I'd love to know more.

48e2fd14-0a31-41a3-9a8c-b6f959e52bdd-jpeg.398698

Going with 4 seats - no second row

3rd Row Seats Inoperable when 2nd Row seats are removed

The last few posts gave me an idea. Somebody needs to build a stretched limo version of a Model S. Stretch it out and add another 1-2 full battery packs. ;)
Man, a Model X with a 2nd row seat delete would be awesome for gear transport. Falcon Wing doors allow for large item loading via the side that you can't get with a traditional car door.
Depending on the items it might even be easier than a Sprinter van.

Yes, but then you'd have to put it up on blocks.

Trailer-Trash-1.jpg
That poor flag. :(

A while back when gas prices were high, GM rushed a hybrid Tahoe to market, hoping the higher MPG would enable them to keep selling their high margin big SUVs. It didn't sell. People who bought hybrids wouldn't consider a Tahoe, and people who bought large SUVs looked down their noses at hybrids and the people who drove them. There was no market. We'll see if this is predictive re: electric pick-ups.
Back then, hybrid versions of conventional vehicles were only saving their owners around 10-20%, at most, in gasoline costs. It was hard for most buyers to justify the added cost of the hybrid drivetrain, and people worried that the added complexity might translate into larger repair bills down the road. In terms of driving experience, hybrids offered no real advantages.

EV pickups, on the other hand, will offer substantial fuel savings, home "refueling", improved performance and driving experience, remote power (120V/240V), and more available space/storage. Whole different ballgame.

I also profited nicely from part of the rise in ENPH, but I made the mistake of getting out too early. Subsequently, I sold puts on ENPH, and I closed out those puts for next to nothing today. Small consolation. Knowing the past volatility of solar stocks, there may be future opportunities to get into ENPH at a better price point.

On the other hand, if Tesla can substantially reduce costs on solar roofs, we might have some very nice solar exposure through our TSLA shares!

OT: Ever wish you hadn’t sold ENPH for $2 because you thought the Chinese were going to start making inverters for less. Good for you Enphase.

I bought $6k in Enphase just a couple of weeks ago. Just sold it for $9k. That’s 50% in 2 or 3 weeks. Best part of the $3000 I just made is not the money I made but I like to think of it as $3000 that people the likes of the Koch’s lost.

Reactions: DurandalAI
Frontal area and drag coefficient are both factors for flow resistance. I doubt that a well designed wagon based on 3 would have more resistance than Y. And battery density in terms of weight, volume and price will become better, thus flow resistance less important.
If drag coefficient would be an ultimate priority, Tesla's would be rocket shaped.
I love the look of that wagon. Always liked the classic Merc wagon and this looks better. When they improve their line production and can handle more then one product per line making 100,000 of these a year will be a no brainer.

I wonder if that could be one of the other positive spinoffs of the Maxwell acquisition. If you can improve energy density per cell, it opens up other design options. You can afford to be slightly less 'clean' aerodynamically, and still maintain good range, weight, etc.

I don't see a 20% cost improvement or increased battery power density fundamentally changing the benefits of an aerodynamic vehicle. Any vehicle designed to travel on highways for considerable distances cannot escape the reality of drag coefficients. As Karen pointed out, more efficient shapes reduce charge times and expense. There is no advantage to a boxy shape. If you need more cargo space, make it bigger, don't create a low-pressure area behind the vehicle that the motor needs to fight against. That's just stupid and a better/cheaper battery cannot change that fact.

You still have to generate the electricity consumed.

Love seeing these posts. Just hope they're real.

Test drove my dream car, the new Jaguar F-Type, and then the I-Pace. Friend who had a Model S delivered two days ago urged me to test drive it before making a decision, so I took him up on the offer. : teslamotors

Just posting this out of sheer excitement. For the last 4 years I've been saving up to buy the best spec Jaguar F-Type in cash, it has always been my dream car. Went into the dealership yesterday to test drive the new model, and loved it! While there, I also drove the I-Pace, and seriously considered it as I'm aware that ICE vehicles are not what this planet needs right now. The I-Pace was nice, but not nearly as nice as the F-Type, so I went home to do a bit more research.

A good friend recently had his new Tesla Model S delivered, and he urged me to try it out before pulling the trigger on my new Jaguar. While I was 90% set on the F-Type and 10% on the I-Pace, I decided I'd still take him up on it. Have to say that it was one of the best decisions I've ever made.

It felt like it was in a different league to the other vehicles. The speed was intense, had so much more tech offerings, which my friend demo'd, including AutoPilot which I loved. The car itself felt incredible to drive, in my opinion better than the two Jaguars I test drove. All the other benefits, especially the charging network, were the cherries on top.

Just put my order in for a blue Model S Performance! Best part is that it was more than $10K cheaper than the F-Type I had spec'ed out, even with the FSD add on. :)

Excited to join the EV world and community!

Fun note, my dad put in a deposit for the Model Y and he's very excited as well.