Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla, TSLA & the Investment World: the Perpetual Investors' Roundtable

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Anyone else concerned about GF3 as super Typhoon Lekima is approaching the area? They are considering evacuations in parts of Shanghai. Does anyone have a source to track any damage or lost time?

Unlikely to be a big deal for GF3. Here's the projected path:
lekima.png

That area is pretty hilly/mountainous, which will rip the typhoon apart pretty quickly. Forecast winds not expected to be much above 50mph in Shanghai. Don't think it will even stop work at GF3.

Disclaimer: I'm a former meteorologist.

I was talking about the emails as well. Dear former and present board members? This guy is really nuts.

Sorry, I thought you were implying that Elon's responses to the mails are parody. But yes, the author of the questions is a hard core disbeliever. Which is exactly the reason why I question the value of Elon engaging directly with them. There is no positive outcome possible.

Unlikely to be a big deal for GF3. Here's the projected path:
View attachment 439641

That area is pretty hilly/mountainous, which will rip the typhoon apart pretty quickly. Forecast winds not expected to be much above 50mph in Shanghai. Don't think it will even stop work at GF3.

Disclaimer: I'm a former meteorologist.

Wind isn't the threat - water is. Shanghai is highly flood prone.

Shanghai tops 'flood risk list'

But the rain forecasts aren't too bad for Shanghai and upstream, so it should be fine.

Sorry, I thought you were implying that Elon's responses to the mails are parody. But yes, the author of the questions is a hard core disbeliever. Which is exactly the reason why I question the value of Elon engaging directly with them. There is no positive outcome possible.
Yeah, so maybe we’re saying the same thing ninwas guessing with about 60% certainty that he made up the email replies. It could be the emails delete forwarded to legal who came up with a common reply, but why would they bother responding to the short stalker at all.

I watched this earlier today, and I thought someone would have brought it up here, but apparently not:
So here are my thoughts:
  • the Taycan is shaping up to have nice driving performance; we don't yet know battery capacity and many other metrics, but in terms of acceleration and charging speed it will be good;
  • it will probably look good too (if you watch the video, it becomes clear that much of what we see with these prototypes is just covers to mask the actual appearance), and the interior will most likely be what your typical Porsche owner/driver is used to... maybe more digitised than other versions (read: moar screen space!)
  • they're marketing it around the idea of "consistently great driving performance from an EV, regardless how long you push it"
Many will possibly wonder how it compares with a Model S P100D (is it called just Performance now?), or indeed with a Model 3 Performance.

Well... IT DOESN'T MATTER!

Why? Because people typically don't buy cars by looking strictly at spec sheets. Not premium cars, at least. It's an emotional thing. And people who really want an electric Porsche because they love Porsche will buy the Taycan. Same with people who think that Tesla will probably go bankwupt, "haven't you heard?", and so there's no point to buy a car that you won't be able to service in the future, and so they'll only get an EV from a traditional OEM, you know, the guys who can "actually build a proper car".

But then there will be many people who never considered an EV as their next premium car, because they just want the finest things in life, and comfort is a big part of that, and they've been told that owning an EV is soooo inconvenient, you have to wait for hours next to the car for it to charge OMG... but now, wait, what is this, Porsche is making a pure EV? So the technology actually works? And THEN they start considering them, and getting informed, and who's to say how many decide to actually go with the more technologically advanced one (hint: the CEO is kinda unstable, goes crazy on Twitter, but whatevs). And then the gearheads get turned onto EVs, and they start looking at cars they can actually afford, like a... Model 3, perhaps?

This is one instance when real competition (or as close to real as a traditional OEM can allow themselves to produce without completely obliterating demand for their ICE models) is good!

So what this diatribe is trying to convey is that I expect this sports EV from Porsche - which will soon be followed by a similar one from Audi - to:
  1. expand the EV performance awareness & demand significantly
  2. go a long way towards ruining the demand for ICE vehicles
And with that in mind, as a TSLA shareholder, I welcome the arrival of the Porsche Taycan!

Anyone else concerned about GF3 as super Typhoon Lekima is approaching the area? They are considering evacuations in parts of Shanghai. Does anyone have a source to track any damage or lost time?
The entire area is prone to typhoons. I worry about them not at all because if Elon didn't plan for that then he, and I for investing in him, are the two biggest idiots of all time