Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla, TSLA & the Investment World: the Perpetual Investors' Roundtable

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Panasonic has their own Powerwall product? That seems silly.

Panasonic launches new residential solar battery

So it begins...
I believe that all the big electronic/tech companies will have their own EV's in the near(10-15 year) future.
Apple, Samsung, Panasonic, LG, Siemens, and such.
They will copy Tesla as much as possible which will probably be fine since the market is so large.

trailhound-IMHO

Quote of the day, from the comment section of Jalopnik:

---
“...if I hammered the throttle, there was a tiny bit of hesitation before the electric thrusters shot the Taycan down the street.”

I think that’s called Turbo Lag.
---
Is that engineered in to make it seem just like what they are stuck with in their ICE cars like their fake engine sounds? I've never had a hesitation in my Model X. Thankfully Tesla doesn't have to downgrade the EV experience so as not to kill off polluting car sales.

When my sister buys a new car she knows she is going to buy a Honda or Toyota.

In our area there is a Toyota dealership right next door to a Honda dealership. She walks through the dealership and picks a car based on colors of exterior/interior and design details of exterior and interior. Something not too big nor too small.

Top Safety Pick Plus? MPG MPGe? That is a big nothing burger to her.
When I walked the dog down past the local surf spot I noticed a 30-ish surfer suiting up and pulling her board out of the back of a black Model 3. I casually ask how she likes her Tesla:
"It's amazing, the car gets software updates that make it better. I can control the AC for my dog when I step into a store. I used to always own Hondas. I wish everyone could have one of these".
OTA and Dog Mode FTW. You never know what it's gonna be:
MPGe, 5-star safety? environment? tech? OTA? AP? etc. But Tesla is on a path to remove any reasons for someone to buy any car but a Tesla.

Last edited:
Is that engineered in to make it seem just like what they are stuck with in their ICE cars like their fake engine sounds? I've never had a hesitation in my Model X. Thankfully Tesla doesn't have to downgrade the EV experience so as not to kill off polluting car sales.

Could it be ~200 ms of gear shifting lag of Porsche's 2-speed transmission: normally the car would be in 2nd gear for efficiency, but shift to 1st gear for acceleration?

Tesla doesn't have a transmission, so no gear shifting lag.

Why not special colors for BTO only? I once had a nice 330i with Mora Metallic paint. Off the book color from the "Individual" program and the order was BTO anyway. For the special color it took just two or three weeks more. Run a batch of a few hundred special color cars in a dedicated time windows each month. Let them pay through the nose (as I did). All happy.
Because Tesla isn't competing with BMW; they're competing with Toyota. As the great one's dad said, "skate to where the puck is going, not to where it is". ;)

Or reread Master Plan - Part Deux: (from July 20, 2016)

Expand to Cover the Major Forms of Terrestrial Transport

"What really matters to accelerate a sustainable future is being able to scale up production volume as quickly as possible. That is why Tesla engineering has transitioned to focus heavily on designing the machine that makes the machine -- turning the factory itself into a product. A first principles physics analysis of automotive production suggests that somewhere between a 5 to 10 fold improvement is achievable by version 3 on a roughly 2 year iteration cycle. The first Model 3 factory machine should be thought of as version 0.5, with version 1.0 probably in 2018.​

Elon really, really is not thinking about your colour choice. He's thinking about your choice of futures.

Cheers!

Actually "gas stations" barely show a profit from selling gas, it just gets the customers to their stores where they make money selling beer, smokes, fast food, etc. Movie theaters have a similar model, they don't make any money from ticket sales but make money selling high priced popcorn, drinks and other snacks.
OT;
So here's an idea (that has perhaps been thought of already): Why don't gas stations install high powered chargers (as high as they had voltage/amperage available...) and sell charging for a profit? No, I mean a real profit. I've noticed that when traveling I pay on the average the equivalent of about $1.00 a gallon for electricity (example-if driving a gas car 300 miles cost its driver $30, that same distance would only cost a Model 3 owner $10 (I know; rough estimate). If I needed to charge, and knew that there was a gas station was ahead (from my navigation app) where I could get charged enough to get me where I needed to go, I'd be more than happy to pay 3X as much for the privilege and convenience of using their charger. Still no more than what others pay for gas! And I think I'm not alone in this. Think about it. The gas station is there anyway, doing what they've always done; sell gas and food, etc. And they already have electricity. They just need to put a few chargers off to the side by the air & water hoses, and they can make profit from selling electricity as well! Heck, they could charge whatever they wanted. Let's face it; they already charge more for milk, beer, wine, etc. than the local supermarket does. That's why they call it a convenience store! Most of us wouldn't stop to charge there unless we had to, knowing that Superchargers charge less, and that it's cheaper to charge at home. Is my logic off on this in some way?

Imagine if there were as many charging stations when we travel as there are gas stations! More in fact, considering the large network of Tesla Superchargers, and other charging stations, which don't sell gas!

/OT

Reactions: JRP3 and 1101011
OT;
So here's an idea (that has perhaps been thought of already): Why don't gas stations install high powered chargers (as high as they had voltage/amperage available...) and sell charging for a profit? No, I mean a real profit.
/OT
I don't see why they would do that. Gas stations make almost no profit on gas, it's all about getting you in to buy a soda or cigarettes. EV drivers, even with V3 (or even faster future speeds) will be an even better source of revenue for that stuff because it will be a 10-40 minute charging session. Wawa is adding Tesla superchargers for a reason.

From the same article-

"One thing I did notice early on was that, when in “Range” mode, if I hammered the throttle, there was a tiny bit of hesitation before the electric thrusters shot the Taycan down the street.

Whether this was because of a downshift, I’m unsure, but in Sport and Sport Plus mode, hammering the throttle brought instant punishment to my neck muscles.

It's too late for Wawa, they're already way too deep into expanding their gas station model.

Starting about 10 years ago Wawa started buying up all the most premium locations, huge parcels of land, and put in "super-Wawas". Problem is, all the traffic and profit is dependant of gasoline.

A pivot to supercharging isn't a bad idea, but the volume of customers won't be nearly enough to justify the property expense. That and their hoagies have been utterly mediocre ever since they stopped slicing meats on-site.

Wawa will fold in about 2025.

That makes no sense. You claim that gasoline is what drives Wawa's profits but everyone is switching to electric. Then you say even if they attract EV drivers, there won't be enough of them! See what you did there?

Did you know for a small fraction of the cost to install legacy gas pumps they can also install Superchargers?

Wawa's not going bankrupt anytime soon.

Truck hauling electric vehicles catches fire on I-80 near Carlin

Tons of Teslas exploded the truck. Teslas are dangerous. Police are investigating to see if Autopilot was engaged.

451: Unavailable due to legal reasons
We recognize you are attempting to access this website from a country belonging to the European Economic Area (EEA) including the EU which enforces the General Data Protection Regulation (GDPR) and therefore access cannot be granted at this time. For any issues, contact [email protected] or call 877-551-6397.