Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register
  • Want to remove ads? Register an account and login to see fewer ads, and become a Supporting Member to remove almost all ads.
  • Tesla's Supercharger Team was recently laid off. We discuss what this means for the company on today's TMC Podcast streaming live at 1PM PDT. You can watch on X or on YouTube where you can participate in the live chat.

Tesla, TSLA & the Investment World: the Perpetual Investors' Roundtable

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
So the power cut is big news all over. Question. Although home charging is obviously a no go for those affected does anyone know if there is any effort made to power the Superchargers in a situation like this?

Thanks in advance.

He heard you. Just now:
114B88CD-77A4-4E08-926A-42B84F5A1B25.jpeg

That is a claim Maarten from Clean Technica is making.

I give it about equal weight of it being true as Elon's prediction of 8500/week out of Fremont.(If that is what he said, I don't remember him saying so.)

From the Q2 earnings call:

Joseph Osha
And just as a follow-on then, could we see you manage to make 8,000, 7,500, 8,000 Model 3s in Fremont by the end of the year you think?

Elon Musk
Yes.

Joseph Osha
Okay. Thank you very much.

Elon Musk
I mean I feel confident it's -- let's just say that the trend is very clearly towards being able to get to 10,000 vehicles a week of which that would be -- there is rough numbers like 8,300 to 8,600 Model 3s and the balance in S and X. So, there's sort of 1,600 to 1,800 SX. In round numbers 8,500 3s, 1,500 SX per week, but probably a bit more than that.

There might be an obvious answer to why this isn’t the case, but wouldnt gas stations presumably have diesel generators as backup?
in Florida yes... I don't think they are required in California.

But beyond pumping gas... a stations tanks only hold a limited amount of gas. and they get sucked dry quickly when everyone runs out to fill up their tanks.

• Helpful
  • Informative
Reactions: Lessmog and madodel
Tesla announced its earnings date about 45 minutes before the disappointing news about the trade talks. The TSLA after-hours share price held near its closing price until the Chinese news.

It's been my experience that companies announcing early in an earnings season usually provide more welcome news than those announcing later. However, in the case of Tesla I see no pattern. Earlier announcements can be a sign of a more mature company that can assemble all of the necessary data relatively quickly.

It's my own observation of the last few quarters that it looks like Tesla has their internal financial / accounting system in enough order that they can report on a prescheduled cadence, and it seems like they're doing that now.

Even though I haven't yet seen them announce what their reporting schedule will be (and maybe they just won't).

When I first started following them, they would report at nearly the midpoint of the next quarter - 1st or 2nd week of the 2nd month of the quarter. Now they seem to be reporting in the 3rd week of the 1st month of the quarter - much better.

Maybe another quarter or two of that sort of reporting schedule to get confidence in the internal processes, and they'll tell us what the schedule is so we can know ahead of time all 4 reporting days in the next year. That's at least how the company I work for does things - I think we're using the 3rd Thursday, but there also seems to be an additional curlicue for where the 3rd Thursday would be the 15th day of the month :)

It's been my experience that companies announcing early in an earnings season usually provide more welcome news than those announcing later. However, in the case of Tesla I see no pattern. Earlier announcements can be a sign of a more mature company that can assemble all of the necessary data relatively quickly.

You've got it backwards.

Do we have short memory?

Tesla moved it up 1 week early for Q1 ER, and most people here were giving high fives expecting earnings would bump the SP higher. Then people tried to come up with reasons why Tesla is late to the call on Q2.
Early or late ER doesn’t mean anything with Tesla.

He heard you. Just now:
View attachment 464396

Will it really help much for charging cars? Each Powerpack is what 250kWh? So could supply 5) LR S/X cars with a 50%. So if they put 5 at each site they can charge a whole 25 cars during a power outage? :rolleyes: Doesn't seem like a good use of capital for just that.

However, it will probably cut their peak demand charges significantly. Hey they might as well upgrade them to V3 sites at the same time to get the better efficiency and integration with the Powerpacks...

Will it really help much for charging cars? Each Powerpack is what 250kWh? So could supply 5) LR S/X cars with a 50%. So if they put 5 at each site they can charge a whole 25 cars during a power outage? :rolleyes: Doesn't seem like a good use of capital for just that.

However, it will probably cut their peak demand charges significantly. Hey they might as well upgrade them to V3 sites at the same time to get the better efficiency and integration with the Powerpacks...

Yeah, won't help much with longer-term outages although in such scenarios they could limit the frequency/amount of charge cars can get. Couple that with solar and it could help some...

Tesla has not announced it yet, but "market expectations" are for the Q3'2019 ER to be on October 23 - similar as last year.

(The Q3'2018 ER date was a surprise: it was set to 1 week earlier than Q3'2017, and only announced on October 20, three days in advance.)
Elon saw the Ford ad that trolled Tesla and Musk (aired during NFL games day before the announcement). That's why it was pushed up to the same day F had their call. My conspiracy theory o_O

Last edited:
That is a claim Maarten from Clean Technica is making.

No, Maarten does NOT make any such claim. He makes the case that 2019Q3 Model 3 Production was 7K/wk after allowing for 1.5 wks downtime. That's history, not a prediction.

At no point does Maarten claim that Model 3 Production is 'Maxxed out' as you attempt to infer from his story on Q3 production.

Long article in the WSJ today discussing Panasonic and Tesla relationship on batteries and GF1. It is interesting and almost like real journalism! Worth the read. Shocking stuff, from the aspect that the WSJ would print something that is not simply another attack piece.

Tim Higgins, one of the reporters on this article, is writing a book on Tesla.

So am I.

<Dr Evil muhahaha laugh>

Beyond just a few packs it is a very poor use of capital, unless they do double duty and arbitrage power too.

Elon Musk
I mean I feel confident it's -- let's just say that the trend is very clearly towards being able to get to 10,000 vehicles a week of which that would be -- there is rough numbers like 8,300 to 8,600 Model 3s and the balance in S and X. So, there's sort of 1,600 to 1,800 SX. In round numbers 8,500 3s, 1,500 SX per week, but probably a bit more than that.

That would be 18,000-21,600 Gen II and 99,600-102,000 Model 3.

I would be ecstatic with 117k produced and 106k+ delivered.

We shall see.

Not convinced that a factory has a physical capacity. Photocopy machines keep getting faster. Capacity grows as human involvement is reduced and as the robots/machines get faster.

In the short term it has a set capacity. That is what we are talking about.

Getting workers in and out. Getting raw materials in and finished cars out.

In 2219 with Alien Dreadnought 662.0 I am sure it will produce more personal transportation devices.

• Funny
Reactions: alloverx