Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla, TSLA & the Investment World: the Perpetual Investors' Roundtable

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
About 10 years ago, I met a VP of an university. I asked him what does he do, he said he is in charge of the endowment fund, and he just gave it to five hedge funds to manage. I knew that approach was not smart, so I suggested "Why not buy Berkshire Hathaway, it's like a great money manager managing for you without fees." He said Berkshire can drop $1000 in a day, that's too scary." (BRK's earning power more than quadrupled since then). That shows how little they know about investment.

Hedge fund industry collectively is a big scam. Out of 10,000 hedge funds, very few are competent. Collectively they underperform index by 5% per year. It's mathematically impossible to beat index in the long run when they charge 2+20%. They couldn't beat index even before fees are applied.

Compounding at 5% per year and 10% per year can make a big difference.
$1 billion compounding at 5% a year for 40 years turns into $7 billion (hedge funds)
$1 billion compounding at 10% a year for 40 years turns into $45 billion (index)
Never discount human psychology. People generally prefer taking a guaranteed 5% loss than taking an even bet on a 20% loss and a 100% gain. When it's not your money, that compounds. If he lost a bunch of money he get's fired. If he gained a bunch...he get's a thank you email maybe? (made up numbers)

Last edited:
Not sure if worker councils and unions did play any role for German Automakers to go abroad, actually I don't believe it did as other reasons have driven that decisions like logistics costs, tariffs a.o. but Elon negotiating with German Unions and worker councils will be fun to watch.

I expect some clash of culture.
I'm sure a German employee with a lot of experience negotiating with unions will be leading the negotiating. AFAIK, Grohman hasn't had any labor issues, right ?

In terms of whether unions were responsible for German automakers going abroad - Tesla didn't go to China because of US unions … it is to insulate from trade / political issues. Same reason why Toyota and other Japanese manufacture most of their (US) cars in US.

Now, GM & Ford moving to Mexico is ofcourse because of lower labor costs.

...but it would be a big surprise if not at least one Bomb will be found on that ground maybe more as well as all the weapons soldiers did throw away in forests and lakes in the last days of that tragic disaster.
Atleast no landmines (ps : US is the only country that doesn't support banning landmines).

I don't think I understand the importance of this revelation. Can anyone help me out?
I don't think it is actually anything. Isn't it 'just' the usual logistic route for the S/X for assembly in Tilburg, Netherlands from Houston? As in, 3 cars packed in pieces into one container like they have been for years? Note the: "45HC CNTR :xxx" under "marks".
Could be wrong though. Not up to date with the S/X routes/logistics anymore.

I don't think it is actually anything. Isn't it 'just' the usual logistic route for the S/X for assembly in Tilburg, Netherlands from Houston? As in, 3 cars packed in pieces into one container like they have been for years? Note the: "45HC CNTR :xxx" under "marks".
Could be wrong though. Not up to date with the S/X routes/logistics anymore.
Tracking your Tesla from the factory to the UK

Good call, this article calls out train to Houston.

Concerning a future victory with Elon's brilliant move in the backyard of the German government this cartoon in a German Newspaper says more than 1000 words :)
Screenshot_20191114_101034.jpg

Last edited:
Mordor as in Lord of the Rings. The place that Sauron (the main enemy) ruled over.

Mordor - Wikipedia

Gentrify:
Gentrification - Wikipedia

Take over enemy lands and improve them/ increase quality of life (theoretically) (Germany auto industry?)

But Germany is not Mordor and Gigafactory Berlin is a done deal.

I think Elon's poll is about another factory, in the ... less enlightened parts of the U.S.

Michigan Gigafactory for the Tesla Pickup Truck secured?

Will Tesla upgrade the Big Three to the Big Four?

LOL. That's definitely weirder than my dream about a week ago, where the truck was revealed to be a shape-shifting vehicle. I then astutely asked Elon, "Does my reality shift based on the vehicle's form, or does the vehicle inhabit my reality?" END SCENE
Your real name doesn’t happen to be George Orr, does it?

Our problem as Tesla investors is figuring out how adept Tesla is at managing legions of suppliers. We almost never discuss that very much, but GF-3 and GF-4 are both more of a test in supplier management and recruitment than most of us perceive.

Same way that they always have;

If they can’t find a supplier to meet their needs, they do it themselves (seats, falcon wing doors, reprogramming of battery assemblage line, and a whole host of other things we probably don’t know about).

Renegotiating contracts with already established vendors as Tesla orders get bigger to reduce costs.

Continuously looking for efficiency gains in all departments including logistics.

Use Tier 2/3 suppliers until they could naturally attract Tier 1 suppliers, who finally realized Tesla was/is here to stay. Now just like talent, suppliers are likely begging Tesla for business.

Continually searching for suppliers who have more talent and skills - recent example was given by Elon that SpaceX outsourced the build of their landing legs.

So no, as an investor I don’t actually worry about the supply chain or Tesla’s handling of it. They’ve already handled a shootout at the Mexican border, a sunk ship, a supplier burning to the ground, several suppliers that didn’t deliver on required goods/services. All of these are part of ‘business’ that any company faces and deals with if they’re mfging a complex product. Tesla has proven over the years, they got this.

Now they just get it a bit bigger. They already have suppliers in Europe and China that they’d simply continue using and then they’d add more local suppliers as it makes logical sense in terms of costs. Not rocket science.