Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla, TSLA & the Investment World: the Perpetual Investors' Roundtable

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
The people behind the post on github claim that the default (easily guessed) WIFI password cannot be changed and that WIFI cannot be turned off - and that the device broadcasts its network name, one with enough entropy that when you see a matching one, it will quite likely be a Tesla PowerWall.

This sounds _really_ bad - and only more so considering the list of possible abuses.
Considering how Tesla's cars fared among penetration testers, it also sounds incredible.

Edit: If the posted info is correct, malicious attackers (can anyone be imagined?), can just code up a script (possibly just modified from the github one), cruise around in a vehicle with a laptop with an amplified WIFI signal - and compromise any PowerWall installation that they happen to come within range of. In California that would probably amount to something quite quickly - and considering how poorly the grid there handles irregularities, I would expect notable consequences. So I am absolutely sure Tesla is working 100% now to determine whether this is actually a problem and if so then fix it ASAP...

Thanks, you explained it better then I could have...

I don't see the 146k reservation tally as that great. For context, the Model 3 was at 276k pre-orders after 2 days. The Cybertruck isn't quite at 2 days yet but is at 146k through 1.7 days, so it likely to be around 160k at that point. So it's on track for about 60% as many reservations despite being in a much larger niche with a much smaller down payment.

Given that the pickup niche is 2-3x that of a compact sedan, I think 500 - 700k reservation would indicate similar popularity (2-3x * 276k), but then the downpayment is much smaller now. Since $100 is much easier to part with, I think roughly 1 million reservations at this point would indicate similar reception. So arguably reception is only 15% as good as the Model 3.

I think Tesla could improve that with some moderate changes to the design. Some tweaks to the rear flanks and adding side windows into the vault (to give it more of a pickup silhouette without actually having one) could do a lot to break up the very blunt rear half in the side profile.

Last edited:
Friend comes home to his son saying "Dad look at my Cybertruck"

imagejpeg_0_01.jpg

Don't worry @RobStark somewhere some boy made an F150 out of magnetiles too

I don't see the 146k reservation tally as that great. For context, the Model 3 was at 276k pre-orders after 2 days. The Cybertruck isn't quite at 2 days yet but is at 146k through 1.7 days, so it likely to be around 160k at that point. So it's on track for about 60% as many reservations.

Given that the pickup niche is 2-3x that of a compact sedan, I think 500 - 700k reservation would indicate similar popularity, but then since the downpayment is much smaller now, I think roughly 1 million reservations at this point would indicate similar reception. So arguably reception is 15% as good as the Model 3.

this isn't meant to sell F150 numbers. the design choices make that clear.

I don't mean country tough as in strength, I mean in aesthetics. The cowboy/construction worker/farmer I doubt will want this; this is has an urban aesthetic. That said, great vehicle. And a good niche product. Elon has already said he's not counting on this as a mass market vehicle but rather it's a passion project. If he wants to sell mass volume he said they can make a more conventional truck.

A steel exoskeleton with a working body is an urban aesthetic? What urban locale do you come from that it would fit with the aesthetic? If the Tesla truck had been what I expected (a cross between the semi and a strongly cab forward design) I could understand that claim based on it being a strongly aerodynamic body. But this? Its almost straight out of Mad Max. Next thing you'll be claiming a heavy duty brush guard is an urban aesthetic.

In order to protect that "country tough" aesthetic I expect truck pulls to introduce rules require a minimum of six cylinders in order to participate. Don't want to have any EVs embarrassing those "country tough" pickup owners :eek:
From literature I gather one important feature in a Middle America Vehicle is capability for a gun rack. Tough!

Well, how about stuffing a grenade launcher in the Cybrbed? It would be concealed except when activated, and I guess the firing elements computing hardware might cost a bit extra too, but that would surely put Fear Of Elon into the hearts of some of those All-Hat Cowboys? :cool::eek::rolleyes:o_O

What says our Resident Artillerist Major (ret)?

Me, no artillerist. My time is out of joint. :(

I don't see the 146k reservation tally as that great. For context, the Model 3 was at 276k pre-orders after 2 days. The Cybertruck isn't quite at 2 days yet but is at 146k through 1.7 days, so it likely to be around 160k at that point. So it's on track for about 60% as many reservations.

Given that the pickup niche is 2-3x that of a compact sedan, I think 500 - 700k reservation would indicate similar popularity, but then since the downpayment is much smaller now, I think roughly 1 million reservations at this point would indicate similar reception. So arguably reception is 15% as good as the Model 3.

Anticipation for Model 3 was greater.

Pickup truck buyers arent your common EV supporter market.

Ergo, this number is bullish

Trucks are a “much larger niche”.. in the US.

Given that they could do something somewhat similar for every garage door opener in existence, it's not something I would lose sleep over.

Imagine a neighbourhood in California, lots of PowerWalls, somehow all hacked, dumping their power one second, full charging the next and on and on and on...quite different than opening and closing garage doors...

EDIT: Anyway, let's hope it is untrue and if true, that Tesla is on it...

Last edited:
  • Funny
Reactions: Artful Dodger
this isn't meant to sell F150 numbers. the design choices make that clear.

that remains to be seen. Once the cybertruck is on the market and Tesla forces everyone else to make similarly crazy looking trucks because the specs are unbeatable at that price, they will just be advertising for Tesla.

The Ford Mach E proves that out...