Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla, TSLA & the Investment World: the Perpetual Investors' Roundtable

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
How does one speak the truth but still please his overlords and secure a spot on CNBC.

Ladies and gentlemen:

DFF4E50F-8ACA-4D20-A203-FBDBD88FF1AE.png

Tesla considers cutting China-built Model 3 sedan prices next year: Bloomberg
“Tesla declined to comment when contacted by Reuters.“ lol

Reuters must have asked a Tesla security guard to comment on the story, in a timezone where it's midnight right now.

Teslarati has a direct denial from Tesla China:

"Update: Tesla China has refuted rumors of slated made-in-China Model 3 discounts, advising people to find their related information from the firm's website, the Beijing News reported."​

Tesla Change Tracker on Twitter

Auto tracker announced a new feature that's pending. I don't know if someone manually overroad the automatic function, or what this is, but I'm assuming it's a Ludicrous lite.

I would guess this is an upgrade for LR AWD cars to "Stealth P". Performance level acceleration for $2k.
I don't know if all LR AWD cars produced will be capable of this though. And it also risks reducing take up of the Performance model.

Sold the Ford stock when they killed the C-Max which was a great car crying for for a modest battery upgrade Ford would not do.

+1 C-max gave me false hope in Ford.

Although, buying one taught me a valuable lesson on how much liability is attached to the legacy dealership Model.

Multiple Ford dealers had zero knowledge, and openly tried to sell me ANYTHING else.

The experience definitely helped future-me become a more confident TSLA investor, and neutralized much of the legacy-auto-is-coming FUD.

The silly thing is the C-Max still needs oil changes, so I don’t know why they were so opposed. ;)

That said, unless Ford has big plans to incent dealerships, I can’t imagine those good ‘ole boys are any more enthusiastic about selling the Mach-e.

When we look at the best hopes for real advances we see embarrassing efforts from JLR, VAG, GM and Ford. None are really good enough. All are too expensive. The I-Pace, e-tron, Taycan and Mach-E are all very pretty and some are great to drive too. None have enough range, none understand the critical role of OTA, none actually have the capacity even if they had had none of the other issues. None can surmount dealer problems.

You had many excellent points in your broad post, but this particular paragraph was golden. You summarized nicely what the best of the competition is facing.

I would guess this is an upgrade for LR AWD cars to "Stealth P". Performance level acceleration for $2k.
I don't know if all LR AWD cars produced will be capable of this though. And it also risks reducing take up of the Performance model.

Man, I've got a RWD and I know that this would not be possible for my vehicle, but if they have any room for a smaller, less impressive (but less costly) boost, I'd still be interested.

Why don't they just detonate the bombs where they are. That will kill 2 birds with one stone.

This is often done for aerial bombs. In an urban setting (e.g. downtown Munich), detonating cord (or something slightly more powerful of that shape) is placed along the whole length of the bomb, which thus opens, greatly reducing both the power of the detonation and the amount of metal fragments.

With multiple bombs near each other, you would need to ensure that all went off in that manner at the same time, otherwise unexploded ordnance would have to be relocated/reassed after the detonation.

But the effect can still be that many Chinese that have planned to buy the MIC Model 3 will now wait for the price reduction that they have now come to expect.

From what I'm hearing come out of China, there is so much demand for the made in China Model 3 even a planted rumor like this won't impact sales. Model 3 buyers are largely educated people that can hold a decent job on the low end or very successful people on the high end. These people know the price will likely come down over time, just as it did in the US, but don't want to wait to drive the newest, most modern and best engineered made in China car. It's like a spaceship from the future and, of course, there is an early adopter fee.

What we will likely see is demand so wide and deep that prices will not come down as quickly as expected or as much as expected. Tesla will sell every car they can make as soon as they make it for a long time into the future.

I'm not impressed. January 6 is a long, long way away. They could check for bombs as they go and get to work right away. And they were ALREADY managing the tree farm as-is, so that shouldn't be necessary first anyway.

Hard to tell whether you are joking - but there's several factors here:
  • The winter has started with very mild weather in Germany, and it's still not freezing cold in Brandenburg. Even firs need several days of low temperatures to become dormant, and it's best to cut trees when they are dormant. Frozen ground is also easier to work on with heavy machinery.
  • The initial land purchase contract of Tesla got delayed, and the overall permitting process is unlikely to be done by January - if it's done by spring that will be a small German miracle already IMHO, so it doesn't really matter whether the area is cleared in December or January.
  • I presume there's different levels of mine sweeping quality: one declares it safe to walk and drive over, but to make sure it can be used for deep foundation construction it has to be cleared more thoroughly, mapping and destroying any intact underground bunkers, etc. Literally all of Brandenburg state is a live ammunition hazard zone - Berlin was one of the most bombed areas in WWII, it was the target of over 360 bombing raids over a ~5 years time-span, i.e. a bombing every 5 days - and almost daily bombing runs in 1944-1945. Actual risk is relatively low (but not zero) after 70+ years, but the area has to be declared safe for construction.
  • These guys will take care of it:
    • EMEUBpjWoAE-VK_

My theory with that is that there are different levels of screening for bombs for different applications. After all, a Tree farm usually only has non-humans in it if a tree somehow triggers a remnant bomb there. Even when harvesting, the number of people there would be minimal.

A car factory, however, will not only have dug into the ground for water, sewage, electricity and so on, but will have far more weight (heavy robots making heavy cars) and people in it on the day to day than the tree farm.

That's ridiculous! All bombs are made of steel. Once the trees are harvested it will be a simple matter to look for deeper bombs by dragging a large format metal detector over the area. They would not have planted the trees without insuring they could be harvested without a hitch. All the trees are the same age and were planted in a flat field. And, for all I know, they might have aerial solutions (like ground penetrating radar) that eliminates the need to drag a metal detecting array around the feilds.

This is a big nothing burger if you expect it to cause significant delays.

Who wants to watch a slaughtering on live tv?
Tesla has made it through its most difficult days, analyst says

Colin Rusch destroys the entire panel including Bethany McLean (Vanity Fair) she wrote the Elon is full of s*** article in August

favorite line “your point was relevant a year and a half ago maybe two years ago now it’s just not”

That's ridiculous! All bombs are made of steel. Once the trees are harvested it will be a simple matter to look for deeper bombs by dragging a large format metal detector over the area. They would not have planted the trees without insuring they could be harvested without a hitch. All the trees are the same age and were planted in a flat field. And, for all I know, they might have aerial solutions (like ground penetrating radar) that eliminates the need to drag a metal detecting array around the feilds.

This is a big nothing burger if you expect it to cause significant delays.
I think what's going on is that there are many posters who are unfamiliar with this and its a natural human trait to try and apply one's own analysis. Mine is simple: rather than speculate about the details -- on which I am as uninformed as most other Americans -- I rely on the fact that this is normal in Germany and the folks there have decades of experience.

Put another way: of course this is a nothing burger. It isn't like there hasn't been construction in Germany since WWII. Unlike for (many) posters there, this isn't a new problem.