Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla, TSLA & the Investment World: the Perpetual Investors' Roundtable

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Panasonic only says they could ramp to 54GWh, but they didn't say they will.

We're waiting for Tesla to tell us the answers to all these things. I'm guessing battery and powertrain day.
You don't have to guess. From Q2 ER CC:

Martin Viecha

Thank you very much. The second question is many of us who follow Tesla closely are incredibly excited about Battery and Powertrain Investor Day and its technology implications. Can you provide us any more detail on when this will be and what will be covered?

Elon Musk

Yes, I think for Battery Day, we're going to do a comprehensive review of cell chemistry, module and pack, architecture, and a manufacturing plan that has a clear roadmap to a terawatt-hour per year. The time for this probably is about six months like maybe February or March next year, show and tell [ph].

Panasonic staking out a negotiating position?

Seems to me that we should have already seen indications of what is happening. Y is coming very soon.
Panasonic appears to be saying they have the technical expertise to get to 54GWh as they previously had hiring problems, but no actual announcement of an increase to support Y. Almost like PR to get Tesla to make a decision...

Financial Times: Panasonic says Tesla gigafactory plant labour shortages resolved

To build its team, Panasonic recruited chemical engineers from non-battery sectors and trained them to handle lithium-ion batteries. Now it has 3,000 people who operate the machinery and about 200 technical assistants from Japan to keep the plant running 24 hours a day, 365 days a year.

“For us to move to [54GWh] should not be so hard. We now have the know how to do it in quite a high volume environment,” said Mr Swan.

Securing engineers is a critical step as Tesla plans to use batteries produced at the US gigafactory for its Model Y sport utility vehicle when it launches next summer, according to people with knowledge of the plan.

Panasonic declined to comment on battery plans for Model Y. Tesla could not be reached for comment.

But whether the Japanese company, whose $1.6bn commitment only covers capacity to 35GWh, will make an additional investment is far from certain. In November, Kazuhiro Tsuga, its chief executive, said the company’s focus was in reaching the 35GWh target and that it had no plans to build a new battery plant for Tesla in China even despite the US company’s deepening relationship with local battery producers.

Last edited:
Strange that 11M+ shares changed hands with TSLA green, and an hour later volume is at 13M and we're -$10. Seems irrational.

Likely a result of TSLA sell-side mega bull downgrading just based on valuation.

Tactically downgrading to a Neutral rating, raising price target to $525. We are moving to the sidelines, admittedly battle-weary after a hard-fought several years, including ~20% outperformance over the last year. We think risk/reward is more balanced following recent stock appreciation; expectations (particularly on the buyside) appear to be fairly calibrated and we think the positive estimate revision cycle is in its latter stages. That said, we would not short the stock and remain positively biased over the long run.

After several years at an Outperform rating, which included contentious arguments with (evidently) high-conviction bears, we recommend profit- taking. While we remain constructive on TSLA’s long-term prospects, we now believe estimates are properly calibrated (particularly on the buy-side) and valuation appears more balanced. Admittedly battle-worn after a contentious two- year period (reach out to hear our best stories) we will wait for further execution to get more positive on the name.

We would not be short the stock; even the most purportedly sophisticated short theses have been proven incorrect over our near decade of coverage. While we are tactically Neutral as TSLA works to execute and meet (elevated) investor expectations, we do not believe the stock is a long-term short. Despite (overly dynamic) short arguments since inception, the company has continued to grow and execute (albeit on a slower timeline than projected, at times); we expect this will continue.

Shares now fairly reflect future execution, in our view, including a smooth Model Y ramp; while this is certainly achievable, we believe there is some risk (as with any product launch). While there are many variables which can swing profitability higher/lower, we do believe TSLA is in the latter stages of the positive estimate revision cycle. We think the stock is pricing in a smooth Model Y ramp; while possible there is always a risk with new product introductions. Separately, we think there is a near-term risk from one-time margin impacts (particularly related to China) and/or seasonality, which could impact Q4:19/Q1:20 results.

While we think risk/reward is more balanced at current levels, we do see some upside risk and it is possible TSLA surpasses (raised) estimates. The company does have several levers which could drive better-than-expected results, including: 1) better-than-expected volumes from Shanghai and/or Model Y, 2) stronger gross margins, and 3) continued OpEx management. See details section for more information.

Tactically Neutral and battle-worn after a contentious several years (including ~20% outperformance vs. the S&P 500 LTM), but we remain positively biased over the long run. We are moving to the sidelines for the near term, but continue to like TSLA’s long-term prospects. We view the name as a major disruptor in the auto/energy industries, and think new product introductions, production ramps, and further development of innovative technologies will drive growth.

upload_2020-1-9_8-58-5.png

Hope Jack took some profits yesterday / this morning. ... Doubt he did. :Þ

Maybe I'm weird, but I'm strangely happy to see some profit taking going on. I'm somewhat excited about the possibility of getting a low enough price to justify re-increasing leverage some.

The last time I remember you getting excited about dips, we never got back to 310. LOL

The price consolidating at this level and establishing support is great for the long term, IMHO. Decreases the chances of a rapid retrace on nothing other than trading behavior.

As for my positions, yesterday before close I rolled all of my remaining March '20 calls (include my twelve bagger $450s!!!); some to June '21, and some to September '20. I capped the September calls with spreads to take a bit of profit, but left the rest uncapped to catch a potential further rise out of ER.

I do think Elon and the Tesla team have remaining cards to play.

MODERATOR WARNING -

Certain posts that absolutely did not belong here were entered yesterday. They were locked out with the instructions to (yet again....:mad:) take all discussion that pertained to Mr Musk's personal life to the "Elon Musk" thread.

Moderation posts are consistently written in impossible-to-miss colors. Anyone foolish enough to post something that is not relevant to this thread without first having checked through any pages that have appeared since he or she last was present is likely to get his or her head handed to him or her. In other words: ignorance is no excuse.

So:

1. Read and Heed Moderators' instructions whether you like them or not. Including the contents of this post.

2. In order that ALL have the opportunity to GET THIS MESSAGE, this thread will be locked for the next ten minutes. Or so.

~~~Vetinari~~~