Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla, TSLA & the Investment World: the Perpetual Investors' Roundtable

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Excerpt:

But, as one portfolio manager -- an off-again, on-again Tesla shareholder -- told Barron's, investors can still buy in, so long as they believe in the long-term prospects for the company. They key is to manage risk. And risk with a stock as volatile as Tesla can be mitigated by position size.

Ah, but in that article I liked this quote way better:

The recent rally is, in industry parlance, ripping the face off the shorts.

If they are serious about this move toward sustainability, the significance for the planet and the investment world (and hopefully TSLA) cannot be overstated. Blackrock has $7 trillion under management. That's more than Germany's GDP and the UK's GDP combined.
I wish people wouldn't compare reserves to GDPs as if the units were the same. It's the same mistake as kW vs kWh. Comparisons are meaningless. Now comparing it to the US national debt might be meaningful.

The tough part will be to not chicken out if this continues
View attachment 500105

Idk, maybe I sell half (don't know which half though, they are asymmetrical) to not lose all before ER?

probably best to sell before ER? coz IV is VERY HIGH.
IV (and options premiums) will most likely drop big after ER.
want to try LEAPS but am waiting for post ER coz IV and premiums are out of whack.

Barron's - 12 minutes ago: Here’s What to Do if You Missed Out on the Tesla Rally

Excerpts:

Investors experiencing the fear of missing out, or FOMO, can still buy Tesla shares if they think that global sales of electric vehicles are at an inflection point...

But, as one portfolio manager -- an off-again, on-again Tesla shareholder -- told Barron's, investors can still buy in, so long as they believe in the long-term prospects for the company. They key is to manage risk. And risk with a stock as volatile as Tesla can be mitigated by position size.
Hi Curt, I marked their take funny (not yours!) because they seem to assume:

VOLATILITY == RISK​

It does not.

This is the same muppet crew that whined 'bankwupcy' mths ago:

the-muppets-strikes-back_o_2243191.jpg

Cheers!

Last edited:
My yahoo watch list allows me to see real-time changes to multiple stock tickers at once:

View attachment 500020

Thanks - CBNC has a similar facility, but it doesn't look as nice as that. Curiously, I use Yahoo's chart and options though, will try the list too.

upload_2020-1-14_20-23-18.png

Right, if the SP is driven up very quickly due to shorts covering, then it can be expected to come down again quickly.

But what worries me is that during this short time, the SP will run through the order books at an insane rate, so the bid-ask spread can become huge, so some tier-N retail traders like myself will be far from getting timely updates to the bid-ask - so there is a risk that one's limit order will be filled right at or very close to the limit, although at that moment the bid-ask may look very different.

Think about it, if the SP goes up (or down) at say 100$ every minute (and 10 times that for options), the average retail trader will likely enter a far from optimal trading order - and some market makers may have someone on their desk who tries to (illegally) profit from that, on the thinking that with the extreme volatility and volume overload no one will notice.

So while it is an interesting thought that we momentarily reach ArkInvest's 4k $ SP some time this spring, that moment could also be a moment were the ill-informed and ill-equipped retail seller who tries to take some profit gets completely screwed over.

So a recurring pattern of a 1-2% daily gain for a few days followed by some minor correction actually seems better, to me at least.

I cover this eventuality by setting sell orders on all my positions way above the current price. As the stock price organically moves upwards I reassess these and move them higher if necessary.

For example, when we were down in the $200's, my first sell order was $415 , next one $595, etc, up to around $1495. Yes, laughable now, but I thought it was commiserate in case of a squeeze back then. These have subsequently been "upped".

Same strategy on my options, but much more of a multiplier...

Like many other here, I'm stressed at the thought of a real squeeze and believe most of us retailer investors won't get the benefit of it, the big funds, with their bots will take all the gains. I prefer this long, sustained squeeze like we're getting now - +$100 every month for a few years and that suits me just fine!

that is the performance version so no real surprise. What will be interesting is the 4S.

Well... supposedly this year. But no word on range. It has a smaller battery pack with an option for the same size as the Turbos. (79 kWh vs 93 kWh)

I say it will be interesting because the low end, still more than $100k, may have worse range. Porsche has demonstrated a careless disregard for efficiency, but they do have a much lower power for the models.

Still, here's my guess:

Turbo S; $185k; 192 miles (IIRC)
Turbo; $150k; 201 miles
Turbo 4S; $110k; 250 miles (my guess)
Turbo 4S; $104k; 212 miles (my guess)

Taycan 4S with the expensive extended pack (same size as Turbo) might do 215 miles.

The garden variety 4S (still more expensive than a Model S performance, but worse acceleration and smaller interior than an AWD Model 3), might do 170 miles.

They may still add a base version, that would undoubtedly be even worse yet, if they can stomach the humiliation.

They’re pinning their hopes on European customers being suckered by the gamed WLTP ratings.

Reactions: sundaymorning