Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla, TSLA & the Investment World: the Perpetual Investors' Roundtable

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
But it’s just so tempting to gamble and try to sell at the peaks, and then buy back at the bottom with these huge price swings we’ve seen in the last few years. It’s a psychological battle for me. With today’s price action I’m feeling like we hit the peak and will start heading back down. Still waiting to see more of a trend though, but this is the first time my gut is telling me to get out since the run up after the Q3 earnings report. Hopefully the gut’s just being paranoid. This stock has given me a bit of PTSD over the last four years. I guess that was your point. Just buy, hold and relax.
Maybe you need to listen to your gut for a while. I am quite sure the result will be costly and turn you into a buy and hold investor. Just an idea.

Maybe you need to listen to your gut for a while. I am quite sure the result will be costly and turn you into a buy and hold investor. Just an idea.
I find that thinking in term of probability helps me with staying buy and hold
(1) Do I think Tesla is going to be the most important companies worth trillion(s) in the future? Yes.
(2) That would make Tesla's SP go up to at least $6,000
(3) We're not there yet.
(4) Therefore, everyday I wake up, there's a higher than 50% chance that SP will advance toward that PT, NO MATTER what today's SP is.
(5) And because I can't tell the future, I will default to listening to the simple argument in (4), instead of pretending like I can.

Last edited:
This is an interesting trend, lithium prices have more than halved in 2019 after the Chinese halving of the EV subsidy:

This should eventually roll into Tesla's battery prices with the 12-month trailing formula they are using with Panasonic.

A very coarse approximation of the effect of this on margins:
  • If ~80 kWh cells in a Model 3 LR contain about 63 kg of lithium-carbonate, the ~55 kWh SR+ pack contains about 43 kg, and if the sales mix is 50%/50%, then the average per unit consumption would be 53 kg of battery-grade lithium-carbonate powder.
  • The Model S/X battery size is 100 kWh, ~78 kg of lithium-carbonate.
  • With 92,550 Model 3 deliveries and 19,450 Model S/X deliveries Tesla used approximately 6,400 metric tons of lithium-carbonate. If prices dropped from the $23,000 peak to $9,000, then the cost of that went from $147m to $57m - a $90m improvement in margins at current production levels.
  • If we assume that due to the 12-months trailing average the shift in spot prices was delayed, this would give Tesla an about $20-$30m improvement in GAAP profits per quarter - certainly not peanuts.
If that and the drop in the price of other raw materials like is what drove the Model 3 margins improvement in Q3, then I'd expect Model 3 margins to further improve in Q4. So after initially disagreeing, I now concur with @KarenRei that further margin improvements are a potential upside to Q4 earnings.

While the drop in Li carbonate price is a welcome development for Tesla I do not believe that the price drop is directly related to the cuts in EV subsidies in China. The lithium price began to fall even as EV sales were continuing to set records in China, and it wasn’t until the fall of 2019 that the magnitude of the affect on EV sales was known.

Commodity prices are hard to forecast, especially in a rapidly evolving market. I have been following the REE market closely but not the Li mining market. But what can happen is a bunch of speculative producers pile on into a commodity whose demand is growing but bring too much supply to market - so they’re met with crashing prices instead of profits. And some will not survive - crashing supply as demand keeps growing. Causing prices to spike.

With an exponential growth in EVs I don’t think it’s safe to assume commodity prices will remain low forever. This is why Elon Musk is pondering putting a stake in the mining business so Tesla is not suddenly hit with price spikes of a critical commodity. That might be 5-10 years away.

Last edited:
OT:

Regarding this week's price action, I want to point to the post from @Fact Checking from a while ago showing huge open interest in calls ranging from 400 to 520 expiring in 2 days. It is very unlikely these will be taken delivery on. the speculators will take profits and the market makers will sell shares they are using as a hedge against these calls.

While this happens every week, the situation is amplified as this expiry is a leaps series and has been open for a long time. Expect the price to be a bit weak next couple of days as the market accommodates these sales. We are likely to drift towards 500. This will be behind us next week though.

In other words if you are looking to pick up some exposure for the long term, it's hard to get a better opportunity, all else being equal. That said the run Monday and Tuesday was phenomenal and I was expecting a much worse week last week. The Chinese subsidy extension and the upgrade helped quite a bit in absorbing the supply from near-ITM calls.

Alright, that was not OT.

OT:

Regarding this week's price action, I want to point to the post from @Fact Checking from a while ago showing huge open interest in calls ranging from 400 to 520 expiring in 2 days. It is very unlikely these will be taken delivery on. the speculators will take profits and the market makers will sell shares they are using as a hedge against these calls.

While this happens every week, the situation is amplified as this expiry is a leaps series and has been open for a long time. Expect the price to be a bit weak next couple of days as the market accommodates these sales. We are likely to drift towards 500. This will be behind us next week though.

In other words if you are looking to pick up some exposure for the long term, it's hard to get a better opportunity, all else being equal. That said the run Monday and Tuesday was phenomenal and I was expecting a much worse week last week. The Chinese subsidy extension and the upgrade helped quite a bit in absorbing the supply from near-ITM calls.

Any chance thats what we saw today?

• Helpful
Reactions: Mobius484
/OT

When the Middle East oil producers switched from FREE natural gas (waste product of oil refining) to solar, for powering their oil field pumps, because it's cheaper!!!, well that pretty much ends the argument. "How can that be?", some may ask. The natural gas generators, though fueled with free fuel, still need costly maintenance and repairs. Solar panels are relatively maintenance free to operate after installation.

This VRPO documentary shows this transition, and is one of my all time favorite YouTube videos.

/OT and now back to our regularly scheduled broadcast...

thanks for sharing that video - an enjoyable watch. Would like to see a followup episode since that is 4 years old.

Reactions: SunCatcher
But it’s just so tempting to gamble and try to sell at the peaks, and then buy back at the bottom with these huge price swings we’ve seen in the last few years. It’s a psychological battle for me. With today’s price action I’m feeling like we hit the peak and will start heading back down. Still waiting to see more of a trend though, but this is the first time my gut is telling me to get out since the run up after the Q3 earnings report. Hopefully the gut’s just being paranoid. This stock has given me a bit of PTSD over the last four years. I guess that was your point. Just buy, hold and relax.

It isn't always easy to think of a $1xx share price and a $5xx share price as being approximately the same, but part of what helps me get there is that I really don't have the energy for short term (3-6 month time scale and shorter) trading. It also helps that I lived through the 20s/30s run to the 130s/180s, that has since contined to the 280s/380s, and now into the 500s.

And it's easy now - those $350ish shares we bought didn't look so good at the $1xx price. But our total share count didn't change at $1xx and it hasn't changed now at $5xx.

I think my wife and I have the opportunity to create much more wealth than we've previously thought possible just holding the shares we have now, over the next 5-10 years. I think the likelihood that we fail is far more likely to me mucking with the plan (buy and hold Tesla for 10+ years, with line of sight to owning these shares on the day that the second of us passes from this mortal coil).

So yes, that is indeed the point. If you're so inclined, think of all the time and energy you can free up to do something that has nothing to do with the stock market. Maybe go show off your Tesla at EV events, and help others see what an EV can do for them :)

If you've got enough shares owned outright, then you just need to wait.

As an example, if you have 1000 shares, then a $5k share price is $5M some day. With a 4% withdrawal rate, thats a $200k/year income to live on in retirement. In any rational definition of well to do, that qualifies (using the worldwide population as the baseline). I know for certain that I'm not going to trade in and out and do better than that, and I really don't want to spend the time and energy on the off chance I'm wrong. I can do nothing; given that my overall investment thesis in Tesla is correct.

It's that latter point (about strategy, and execution against the strategy) that I'm looking for all the time.

One other thing worth adding - in 8 years of following the company pretty closely, where following the company is focused on strategy and execution, especially the last year or two, the company is constantly beating my expectations relative to the strategy. The strategy and progress against strategy have been fantastic (my opinion), and has kept my horizon at 10+ years, along with an expectation that I'll own the chunk of the company I own until I die.

Responding to @StealthP3D's comment to @Vines

If the current price action is causing you to question your buy and hold strategy, that suggests to me that you really aren't comfortable or ready for buy and hold. You are instead a day or at least short term trader (in my lexicon, any trade that is influenced by this particular quarter's execution, numbers, results; that's short term). Any trade influenced by daily changes in share price - that's a short term trade.

For buy and hold, what you're looking for are changes in company strategy and/or prospects for the company strategy to succeed. These changes don't happen on a quarterly basis, nor are they influenced by details in the quarterly results. In Tesla's case specifically, a car that isn't delivered this quarter is a car delivered next quarter. Assuming no incentives, the revenue and profit are the same.

I'm personally a buy and hold investor. A few months back when the share price was under $200, I wrote then that I was as concerned about the $1xx share price as I would be by a $4xx share price. I didn't expect to see $4xx or $5xx (I didn't include it in my example), but in both cases they mean the same thing - nothing. I own exactly as many shares of the company now as I did then.

I grant that waking up to a $5xx share price is more fun than a $1xx share price, but nothing has happened in the last few months to change my investment thesis for the company - it continues to be a 10+ year horizon and a belief / expectation that at some point the company will be trading at $5xxx - an order of magnitude from here. Since I've read an investment thesis that prices out to $5x,xxx by 2030, all of the price action the last few months qualifies as noise. Even in the $5,xxx outcome, recent price action is just noise (where recent encompasses the trip down to $1xx, and the current trip to $5xx). If you're short term, such an idea is outlandish.

The big thing here, and we can use Tesla as our example - back in 2013, the shares had been trading in a range in the $20s and $30s. People were getting into the groove, short term trading the swings back and forth. Life was good for short term trading. And then there was a surprise profitable quarter and the share price disconnected from its trading history. It took 6 months(ish) and the shares had established a new trading range - $130-$180. In today's share price dollars, that'll be a move from the $300s to the $1300-1800 range.

Have we experience the same disconnect from the previous trading history? Maybe. Maybe not. I don't know. I know that I expect it to happen sooner or later and I don't want to be scavenging for pennies in front of the steamroller when it happens (besides - I don't have the time or energy to trade short term).

I do know that I personally suck at short term trading (any trading that depends on quarterly results, or shorter term), and I know that if I noticed that stuff, then I'd have sold out of that last run that turned into my first 10 bagger.

And if I noticed that stuff today, then I'm confident that I'd be selling out of my next 10 bagger just in time to avoid it.

I write all that, to maybe help you see what a buy and hold mentality looks like, and what you'll need to wrap your brain around. There are plenty of situations where buy and hold isn't the right approach - I don't know what's right for you, but if you think buy and hold is right for you, then I suggest strategy over deliveries for the focus of your research and study.

I appreciate the feedback, and you describe the struggle I am going through quite well. I have become great at picking up pennies each week, but in the process I have cut off my own legs and left a lot of money on the table for much of increase from 230-500. While I made a decent 30% gain swing trading, that pales in comparison to what buy and hold would have netted me. I'll just keep listening and learning, and keep making money one way or the other.

I appreciate the feedback, and you describe the struggle I am going through quite well. I have become great at picking up pennies each week, but in the process I have cut off my own legs and left a lot of money on the table for much of increase from 230-500. While I made a decent 30% gain swing trading, that pales in comparison to what buy and hold would have netted me. I'll just keep listening and learning, and keep making money one way or the other.

One approach that many have articulated (and I'm thinking of adopting for myself), is to establish a core position (presumably in shares). The idea is those are your long term buy and hold - don't touch 'em for nothing.

Outside of that you have a (small or big) pot of money / shares that you use to trade the swings in the stock.

One reason to do that - it's sort of a game you play with yourself where you make the 30% on the pot for swing trading, knowing that the core shares will be there for the big move. The purpose of the game - protect the core shares while giving a target to one's desire / inability to avoid trading the swings :)

Mostly, the short term trading sounds like a lot of energy and time I don't have, so that helps.

Here is a fresh GF3 video from Wuva:

Interestingly, from 3m16s to 3m18s there are a few black/white checkered Teslas.
What are they?

Edit: The outermost is different from the three other checkered ones, it looks like a 3, could the others be Ys?

My guess is those are early preproduction cars that are not sellable. I bet they camouflaged a few of them so they could drive them around and test them without getting a bunch of flack for terrible paint or panel gaps.

OT:

So you are saying if I want to add some more to my position, Friday would be the best day to do so this week?

Reactions: 2virgule5