Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla, TSLA & the Investment World: the Perpetual Investors' Roundtable

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Sad to hear the passing of an NBA legend at too young an age. This is one of his quotes that can be applied to TSLA longs...

“Learn to love the hate. Embrace it. Enjoy it. You earned it. Everyone is entitled to their own opinion and everyone should have one about you. Haters are a good problem to have. Nobody hates the good ones. They hate the great ones.”
-Kobe Bryant RIP

My recollection is that the goal of gross margin is around 50%. Do you have a link Elon saying that he plans to reduce prices to maintain gross margin?! I am fairly certain that he never said that and absolutely certain that he never thought that.
What is the gross margin going to be once FSD is fully working? I don't think Tesla will constrain themselves with an artificially low gross margin.

I completely disagree with pretty much everything in this post. 2021 before the SP hits 600? Ridiculous. This is not 2019 again. I say we hit 600 by Thursday at the latest, maybe tomorrow.

Specifically, I am betting (about 1% of my TSLA investment) that the Q4 GAAP net result is 266M $ or better, so any positive Q1 result will imply S&P 500 qualification - and that such a result will cause the SP to jump at least 10% over the intraday ATH (equivalent to ca. 650$). Other scenarios could cause the SP to jump, the two that would lead to S&P 500 qualification already with Q4, but since that would require a Q4 result closer to four times the 266M $ limit, these scenarios are clearly less likely.

We should have about 75 hours of waiting left now ...

I know a lot of you have strong expectations for the ER and have blue-skies-ahead predictions for this year, when Tesla deliveries and profits grow QoQ and all will be great.

However, let me remind you of the date!
We have now entered 2020. This is a key year, when all those Tesla killers we have been warned about will roam the markets and the streets! As a reminder here is the presentation with 152 pages of warnings:
Mark Spiegel - Tesla Motors Inc (TSLA) Is A Zero [Slides]

So, trade carefully...
Yeah, there will be lots of zeros in TSLA, like: $600 next week
And even more, like $1000 later in the year ;)

I wonder how much of the projected GF4 water consumption comes from employee bathrooms?

Rain water could be collected from the roof and stored just below, for flushing the toilets. No pumps, just gravity would make this work - this would not require changes to the sewer lines.

(For residential water usage, water for flushing toilets is about 25%).
Most commercial building has waterless toilet for man

My last two posts here were deleted and honestly I fully understand why and I'm not mad about that.

However if we can do a little bit of weekend OT here, I am just in a much better place than I was at a year ago when I was broke and skirting homelessness in Los Angeles. I was attacked a couple weeks ago in my own room so I realized it was time to take a little (a shockingly small percent, I am so much better off now) of my Tesla money and move into a new spot. I am on the come up right now and very excited. I am indeed producing a new track wherein I loudly reference the Cybrtrk and you can watch me performing it here. My beat my lyrics 100% me.
The lyrics are not safe for work.
The name of the song is
PENTAGON "SUGAR"

Brendan Lounsbery on Instagram: “#PENTAGONSHIT ”

According to a CCP owned news outlet Bejing [edit: bus traffic] will be under a "soft lockdown" as of tomorrow:

This will impact travel of GF3 employees, at minimum - but might impact suppliers as well.

Next step is that the city of Beijing is closing schools/kindergartens indefinitely:

Kids, students stay at home after the spring festival, which ends in a few days.

Also, latest Chinese estimates of virality has increased (not peer reviewed paper):

Preliminary estimation of the basic reproduction number of novel coronavirus (2019-nCoV) in China, from 2019 to 2020: A data-driven analysis in the early phase of the outbreak

"Findings: The early outbreak data largely follows the exponential growth. We estimated that the mean R0 ranges from 3.30 (95%CI: 2.73-3.96) to 5.47 (95%CI: 4.16-7.10) associated with 0-fold to 2-fold increase in the reporting rate. With rising report rate, the mean R0 is likely to be below 5 but above 3."​

Incubation period is estimated by Chinese health officials to be 1-14 days, 10 days average, and the infectious period starts early on - I.e. there can be asymptomatic patients infecting without any of the early symptoms of cough and fever.

As a comparison:

download.png

The Wuhan Coronavirus is highly contagious at this stage.

Last edited:
I mean no disrespect, but this request reminds me of the scene in WALK THE LINE where a prison warden asks Johnny Cash to not remind inmates that they're in prison.

1:32 here:

"Hope for the best, plan for the worst" is my philosophy.

Elon Musk was once asked directly about this, and his answer was that he could be expected to take the necessary steps to maximize his lifespan. Considering Elon Musk's problem solving skills, I think we can leave it at that.

I think people are really underestimating the potential impact of this virus in china. If this had happened next month I wouldn't feel this way, but everyone is home for Chinese New year. Labor is back in the country side. If most cities are quarantined over the coming week those cities will be economically stagnant. The global impact to this could be pretty unprecedented. If china labor can't get back to cities you'll see various product segments unavailable at the store. China's cities are very specialized as far as manufacturing. I hope I'm wrong and nothing bad happens. But the global economy could be up for quite the ride.

Another article about a Tesla bear turned Supporter. The tide is turning...

the “best days” of more traditional rivals are “definitely behind them

“Having an old auto name attached to an electric car is almost a label of doom,

Tesla’s top critic Aswath Damodaran is now its biggest fan

Can you elaborate as to his exact quote on Tesla (link is paywalled)? I googled around but could not find any other mention of it and he has not updated his blog.

Damodaran has a very big following amongst value investors (and he has been both short and long on Tesla at various times based purely on his financial model). If he is long Tesla at this point it would be amazing.

I think people are really underestimating the potential impact of this virus in china. If this had happened next month I wouldn't feel this way, but everyone is home for Chinese New year. Labor is back in the country side. If most cities are quarantined over the coming week those cities will be economically stagnant. The global impact to this could be pretty unprecedented. If china labor can't get back to cities you'll see various product segments unavailable at the store. China's cities are very specialized as far as manufacturing. I hope I'm wrong and nothing bad happens. But the global economy could be up for quite the ride.
If the death rate continues to be this high in China, it will be problematic for the economy. But the death rate may be lower in low pollution areas. It is known that people get sicker easier when exposed to diesel exhaust, and cities in China have bad air. The death rate will probably be lower in areas with less pollution.

This is another reason why we need to transition away from heavily polluting transportation.

Elon Musk was once asked directly about this, and his answer was that he could be expected to take the necessary steps to maximize his lifespan. Considering Elon Musk's problem solving skills, I think we can leave it at that.

(imagine the following in a Johnny Cash voice)

You think Elon has solved the problem of accidental death?
You think not-talking about it will prevent it?
:)

• Helpful
  • Funny
Reactions: SpaceCash and deffu
I know many of you have no reason to venture into the UK & Ireland subsection, but there is an interesting thread there covering the ID.3, based on a pre-launch event here in the UK yesterday - VW ID.3 Preview event in London on 25th January, fancy going?

Perhaps not surprising to many here, but it sounds like an overpriced disappointment. I'm not just saying this as a Tesla fanboi, I was generally expecting it to offer more for the money. I'm sure it will still have its buyers, but the Model 3 SR+ seems the much more compelling vehicle for the money.

If the death rate continues to be this high in China, it will be problematic for the economy.

There's no reliable data about the mortality rate, but at this point the WHO believes it to be relatively mild.

Dividing the number of reported deaths by number of reported cases is NOT a valid way to estimate mortality rate: both numbers suffer from heavy selection bias, even if we assume the Chinese data is reliable, which we cannot.

What we do know is that none of the ~60 international verified cases of the coronavirus have died, and several have already healed and were released from hospital. This is far better than SARS or MERS, where almost every infection resulted in a severe case.

Every passing day without international victims makes the Wuhan virus closer to the mortality rate of an unknown influenza strain we have no vaccination for.

Edit:

Here's the WHO's disease modeling expert said about this today:

Coronavirus: 100,000 may already be infected, experts warn (The Guardian)

Prof Neil Ferguson, a public health expert at Imperial College, said his “best guess” was that there were 100,000 affected by the virus

Ferguson, whose team have been modelling the disease for the World Health Organization, said they estimated the virus had a reproductive rate of 2.5-3, meaning that each person infected would potentially transmit it to up to three others.

“My best guess now is perhaps 100,000 cases right now,” he said, although it could be between 30,000 and 200,000. “Almost certainly many tens of thousands of people are infected.”

Most of the cases that have been exported to other countries from China have been mild, he said.​

With mild symptoms it's difficult to tell apart from regular flu season symptoms.

Basically what Prof. Ferguson says is that it's likely not possible to stop this strain, but that the current variants are comparatively mild in outcome.

What seems somewhat of a puzzle to me is why China is employing such drastic measures. It would seem that if indeed the disease is comparatively mild, the best policy would be to do nothing and let it run its course ASAP. By imposing quarantines they slow the spreading, but also prolong the outbreak.

Anyway, the impact on GF3 will probably be real - but it's also true that China vehicle sales increased by more than 10% during SARS, due to people desiring to avoid public transportation.

So if the parameters of the Wuhan virus verify (they might not, it might mutate, etc.), the impact on GF3 production might be negative, but the impact on both MIC Model 3 and Fremont S/X/3 demand (Biodefense Mode ...) could be positive.

Macros next week will possibly be negatively impacted, which might affect TSLA through standard correlations.

Last edited:
If the death rate continues to be this high in China, it will be problematic for the economy. But the death rate may be lower in low pollution areas. It is known that people get sicker easier when exposed to diesel exhaust, and cities in China have bad air. The death rate will probably be lower in areas with less pollution.

This is another reason why we need to transition away from heavily polluting transportation.

Deaths are tragic, but sick people who survive also bears a high economic cost. This appears to be very contagious. Let alone the economic impact of quaranteening a city with a population of 11 million