Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla, TSLA & the Investment World: the Perpetual Investors' Roundtable

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Everyone? Are you saying someone who sold at $950 wasn't able to time the market?

We need to relax on this "buy now, buy tomorrow, buy @ $1200" nonsense. We get it, you like Tesla.

I guess the point is that it can be hard to time the market, and that many of us end up buying it back at a higher price later on.

Everyone? Are you saying someone who sold at $950 wasn't able to time the market?

We need to relax on this "buy now, buy tomorrow, buy @ $1200" nonsense. We get it, you like Tesla.

Nope, with taxes factored in, a member pointed out that selling at that price level will require the share to drop below 701 just to be worth it, and anything above is a net loss or break even.

Post-hoc reasoning. “Timing the market” is close to random chance. Someone is always going to get lucky on the timing of their sale(the price wouldn’t be that, if someone didn’t sell at it), but trying to consistently time the market that way is just as likely, if not more so, to lead to financial ruin.

Most people here have their idea of a fair valuation of the company. I believe Karen et al are just saying sell at that vs trying to get the timing right on the day-to-day swings.

@jhm: kind of like like muscle memory, once you've lifted a certain amount of weight? it's easier to come back to it even after a long period of inactivity. Once you're mind has determined that your body is capable of doing something, it'll be easier to do it again. $900 registered in people's mind makes it less of a resistance in the future. Do you think it'll have the opposite effect on some shorts? If this is now a "$900" stock, many of them won't want to touch it at this level?

I am trying to file a SEC complaint, but I see no category for common TSLA stock in the pulldown menu. Can anyone help?

Correct, someone is selling in large volumes (compared to available liquidity) on Frankfurt Xetra to keep the TSLA price down - this could be in coordination with the Nasdaq open in about 8 minutes for a bear attack.

There is no news anywhere, manufactured or otherwise, to justify such a move. I believe hedge funds that wrote calls might be worried about this Friday's expiry and started a price and market manipulation bear attack when TSLA was getting close to $970 yesterday.

Note that the market used by the bear attack is the Xetra exchange, not Frankfurt:

View attachment 508089

Note the very high volumes, while both Frankfurt and Stuttgart exchanges barely registered any trading. So the short who launched this short attack is working through Xetra to have maximum impact while using one of the least liquid European exchanges that trades Tesla.

Edit, here's how the illegal market manipulation bear attack transitioned over to Nasdaq pre-market trading:

View attachment 508090

The first chart is 4 minutes into Nasdaq pre-market trading which started at 4am ET - the chart lined up below is Xetra, 10am CEST at the same time:
  • The short attacker, shortly before Nasdaq trading opened, started closing the short position (the bounce-back), and volume died down.
  • There was no genuine, legitimate selling pressure on Xetra - the whole point was to depress the TSLA price in Nasdaq open through the use of a single low liquidity European exchanges, using just around 70,000 shares of volume.
  • On Nasdaq volume is now lower than the European one - I suspect the bear attacker is using limit orders to keep the price fixed at significantly lower prices than yesterday's close, to establish a negative sentiment going into the open.

#2nd edit, 15 minutes more of the same charts:

View attachment 508091

Here you can see from the Xetra volume that whoever manufactured that price dip, very likely reversed the Xetra short position almost completely and moved operations over to the Nasdaq pre-market. While we are guessing here, regulators have access to transaction logs and can identify whether it was the same trading entity creating the dip and then recovering the short position.

Also note how Xetra volume effectively dried up after this price manipulation event - suggesting that whoever did this didn't have any legitimate EU investment purposes, but the sole purpose was to manipulate the Nasdaq early-hours opening price.

There is very few legitimate reasons for such trading activity - pretty much the only purpose is to manipulate and distort the market.

#3rd edit, this is yesterday's "$100 TSLA flash crash" event:

View attachment 508095

That is a 30sec chart from Nasdaq on 02/04/2020, where unknown entities manipulated the TSLA price at around 15:49 ET and the surrounding minutes to drop $100 in a short period of time, by using aggressive, abusive market orders or far-below-bid sell limit orders to 'mark down the price' without any real intention to sell effectively.

In this case too no rational investor in Tesla securities would execute trades in this fashion (because they'd lose tens of millions of dollars executing sell orders in such a poor fashion), and there was no Tesla or macro news driving this action.

Time for Tesla shareholders to file SEC complaints I suspect. European regulators should have no trouble finding out who was selling short those shares well below yesterday's market prices.

Here's the place to file a SEC Investor Complaint - European shareholders can file complaints too:

After filling out personal details, I'd suggest a variant of this for the "Tell Us About Your Complaint" field:

On or around February 5, 2020, 4am ET, a "short and distort" campaign was launched against Tesla (TSLA:NASDAQ) investors in European trading, on the low liquidity Xetra exchange (TL0:XTRA), and on the Nasdaq early-trading system.

The purpose of this attack was to illegally manipulate the Nasdaq early trading opening price, by unknown parties suspected to be options writers for $800+ strikes on Friday's 02/07 TSLA options expiry series.

A timestamped, annotated summary of events can be found at this link:
Code:
https://teslamotorsclub.com/tmc/posts/4451429/

The link also contains description of the "$100 TSLA Flash Crash" market manipulation event that occurred at around 02/04/2020 15:49 ET, when unknown parties executed large and deliberately ineffective order flow in an effort to mark down the TSLA price and trigger "stop-loss" orders, which caused harm to TSLA investors.

All of these abusive, illegal actions have harmed the market value of my TSLA shares or options.​

Only file a SEC complaint if you agree with the contents, of course! :D

Also note that even if this SEC administration decides not to inquire into these market anomalies, there's an election at the end of the year and the next administration might. All investor complaints have to be archived and stored indefinitely by the SEC I believe.

Nope, with taxes factored in, a member pointed out that selling at that price level will require the share to drop below 701 just to be worth it, and anything above is a net loss or break even.

wouldn’t it also depend on whether you hold the shares long enough? America does FIFO with shares, so if you bought Small increments of shares at a time, and last Jan you bought # and then sold that # of shares at 950, only to re-buy now, you’d have to pay that flat tax associated regardless if the profit was small or large.

• Informative
Reactions: Eugene Ash
The 3 month chart now looks infinitely more rational and we can climb from here. I do think we'll see more spikes before Memorial Day considering short interest is STILL high.

The only real impetus for this weeks spike was the Blackrock/Cramer effect combined with modest short covering and a shareholder base unwilling to sell. Battery Day will be stronger IMO. (not that I'm enjoying these spikes)

The link he provided did not say what he said it did. Not even close. I made that clear. No one used the word "liar" except for you. End of story.

We don't need people spreading FUD, especially during volatile periods. You are wrong to attack people like me who are factually correcting the record.

I’ve lost track of who ‘he’ is, but M3rider correctly quoted the Teslarati article which misquoted Grace. The link was to the teslarati article.