Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla, TSLA & the Investment World: the Perpetual Investors' Roundtable

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
What I am reading are complaints of an apparent and clearly illegal market manipulation.
It's only illegal if the governing body prosecutes. Since the governing body has shown zero interest in protecting anyone but Wall Street and the Market Makers, it's perfectly fine to do these kinds of manipulations.

OT
Statistically, they will fail more often than they succeed. A random investor is not as "well armed" in this battle as funds with bots.

That's literally the opposite of what I said. I said if you're not buy and hold, you should buy on the way down / sell on the way up - not the opposite. Which is just basic math.

Example. Let's say the stock is $700, goes to $900, and you practice each strategy at $50 increments, starting after it first makes a move (because you're not a bot / MM, you're not going to know the instant it's going to move significantly in one direction, or how far it's going to go).

Buy on the way up / sell on the way down:
  • $750: Buy X shares ($750*X)
  • $800: Buy X shares ($800*X)
  • $850: Buy X shares ($850*X)
  • $900: Buy X shares ($900*X)
  • $850: Sell X shares ($850*X)
  • $800: Sell X shares ($800*X)
  • $750: Sell X shares ($750*X)
  • $700: Sell X shares ($700*X)
Net result: X*(-750-800-850-900+850+800+750+700) = You lose $300 * X, where X is the number of shares you bought/sold at each increment

Now we invert it: sell on the way up / buy on the way down:
  • $750: Sell X shares ($750*X)
  • $800: Sell X shares ($800*X)
  • $850: Sell X shares ($850*X)
  • $900: Sell X shares ($900*X)
  • $850: Buy X shares ($850*X)
  • $800: Buy X shares ($800*X)
  • $750: Buy X shares ($750*X)
  • $700: Buy X shares ($700*X)
Net result: X*(750+800+850+900-850-800-750-700) = You gain $300 * X, where X is the number of shares you bought/sold at each increment.

Don't be dumb and bet against basic arithmetic...
Have to point out the assumption for “sell up, buy down” to work is either you can time the peak perfectly, or you have unlimited capital to work with.

For an average retail investor, it might look like:
  • $350: Sell X shares ($350*X)
  • $400: Sell X shares ($400*X)
  • $450: Sell X shares ($450*X)
  • $500: Sell X shares ($500*X)
  • $550: No more shares to sell
  • $600: No more shares to sell
  • $650: No more shares to sell
  • $700: No more shares to sell
  • $750: No more shares to sell
  • $800: No more shares to sell
  • $850: No more shares to sell
  • $900: No more shares to sell
  • $850: Too high, won’t buy
  • $800: Too high, won’t buy
  • $750: Too high, won’t buy
  • $700: Too high, won’t buy
This is exactly how one misses the bus.

Do y’all realize that the top 4 TSLA trading days by volume are all this week. And there have only been 4 days this week so far.
There’s a lot of storylines taking place. I think Tesla had been stepping on toes in the past, but ever since we had Larry Fink come out with a statement against investing in fossil fuels and Cramer making remarks that those stocks are dead, Tesla has now threatened to run over entire industries. Or in the short term they are taking the investors money. For short sellers they just happened to have their demise sped up in an insane push forward.

So I think this week has been the culmination of people taking sides, old enemies trying to protect their stake (probably Saudi’s) , and new shorts who will bank off old tactics of prior short sellers to make a profit.

Point of this is Tesla would always be good at creating enemies, they are the ultimate disrupter, EV’s are about to take center stage and nobody stands more to gain from this than Tesla, the company that has spent more than a decade preparing for this.

edit: I should say that many companies ultimately will be part of the disruption but Tesla is the mascot, the general, and the poster for this change so they will be targeted the most.

Last edited:
With options breaking Tsla right now, who knows what is going on. I am not getting enough sleep knowing my net worth + - hundreds of thousands per day. Can't wait for this nonsense to stop.

Sleep deprivation is bad for you. Here's my sage advice:

1) Reset your expectations. The "nonsense" volatility will not stop for years. Big Boys profit from it, and Tesla's potential will be disputed for years. Ignorant/stupid people can't understand it. FUDsters might understand it but won't admit it. People who understand it will keep the share price ahead of current financials, which will cause other people to sell/short the stock on any pretext.

2) Make a list of the trillion-dollar markets that Tesla is targeting. (Hint: There is more than one.)

3) Make a list of the competitors that can stop Tesla from dominating those markets. (Hint: There is less than one.)

4) Look at the share-price history of other disrupters (Amazon, Netflix, etc.) who had fewer advantages than Tesla, such as only one target-market and many potential competitors. (Hint: AMZN dropped 90% twenty years ago.)

5) Think about #2-4 until you understand that your net worth is rock solid, regardless of its current number, as long as you hold TSLA shares. If the worst happens (global recession, earthquake, assassination) and TSLA drops 90%, this will not stop Tesla. Elon has built a brain-trust that will outlast him. The best engineers want to work for Elon's companies, or create a startup that is acquired by Elon's companies. He has drained competitors of the best minds in manufacturing, electronics, materials, software. Now he is doing it for Artificial Intelligence.
Elon Musk on Twitter

I make a plea to those of you who, like me, are retail traders and not pros.
I am a very young retail trader from Italy, this is not financial advice, and you have no reason to believe me.

I know you are going to question my motives. I implore you to believe me that this is seriously done in good faith.
Feel free to dislike this x20, but please at least read my warning.

This forum is filled with tons of insight from tons of smart people from tons of different professions.

But being smart doesn't make you immune to greed. Isaac Newton lost a ton of money in the market. It's not because he was dumb. He was one of the smartest people alive on the planet.

If your Tesla position (or ANY position) in your portfolio is >20%, ESPECIALLY if it's massively up because of the recent run up, even more critically if it's an option position, ALL CAPS IF IT'S IN SHORT TERM OPTIONS, ALL CAPS ITALIC BOLD UNDERLINED IF IT'S SIGNIFICANT MONEY TO YOU:
please consider REDUCING IT to more prudent risk levels.

If 20% sounds like too small of an allocation to Tesla, and you're not just playing with dollars you can afford to lose: PLEASE, PLEASE, PLEASE. BOOK SOME GAINS.

I'm not asking you to sell your Tesla investment here. I'm not saying that this valuation is too high. I'm not saying higher risk cannot mean higher returns. I'm not saying Tesla is a bad company. I'm not saying ANY of those things.

I'm just asking for some risk management.

I've read about so many investment boards full of smart people analyzing companies. I've seen thousand-page threads about investment theses. They all made sense.

And then for whatever reason the shares take a big hit, and people are suddenly posting about their life savings having halved. People don't know how to tell their partner. People post about their children's college fund being gone.

Even if the price action is driven by short sellers. Actually, especially if the price action is driven by short sellers!

Please, consider the possibility that you will lose money due to market irrationality, manipulation, short selling, short gamma bloodbaths, huge market corrections having nothing to do with Tesla, your broker glitching out. Please be safe.

Sorry, I do realize this sounds extremely condescending. I don't think I'm smarter than you. I do think someone might read this at the right time and just maybe be more prudent, and it might matter.

Sorry,
MFran123

On paper, Elon has broken into the top 10 of wealthiest people in the world.

And, as he eventually ascends to #1, I wonder how this affects perception of wealth attainment among people globally? Many would call him apart of the traditional "club" but it seems more like he's disrupting the club, as he is doing in multiple industries. His complete dedication to his companies/employees/investors and holding nearly 100% of wealth in stock *he will never sell* as well as consistent noble mission from day one of helping humanity through accelerating sustainable consumption and production of energy, he is unlike anyone in that top 10 today or of yesteryear.

He may as well redefine this too, what it means to obtain the highest prize in individual capitalism (to be wealthiest person on earth) and this is a revolution/disruption unto itself outside the general disruptions created by his companies.

His example to current and future generations is to have a complete dedication to a noble mission to prevent global calamity and ensure future self generating sustainable prosperity. From the meatheads to the delicate introverts. That achieving to highest level of wealth has to be done to improve the globe and think globally of the impact of your ideas on sustainability. The example of having a high personal ethical constitution in pursuing that. Getting serious about these big ideas, being committed to fundamental physics/science of anything you attempt to tackle and build up from there. Communicating pure intention (master plan) to others to build an adaptive, dedicated team, to execute on these pure intentions with this growing team, not succumbing to outside forces attempting to bend that trust built with this team. Chewing that glass while walking into the abyss. Accepting the fact legacy forces will attack you. Believing, the hurricane-like force of integrity around the noble master plan (which disrupts the stagnant, lacking noble integrity economic forces) goes beyond the team and *becomes apart of the broader community.* Over time, people not involved in the team, just average people, will give general support and root for your success, which is not normal for a for-profit company directly because they are taking on these stagnant forces, to improve all our long term human condition directly or indirectly. Profit to them means furthering the cause, not aggrandizing the riches of a few at the expense of the rest, but changing of how we view economic activity for all people globally. It actually turns into a human spirit connecting activity.

As eventually becoming the wealthiest man the planet has ever seen, Elon's example may have dramatic affects on how we see ourselves as a people. For those that say show me the money, they will not look to Gordon Gecko, but to how Elon does it. For those that show me humanity, they will look to Elon for democratizing energy by giving all of us the ability to affordably produce cheap kwhs and use those kwhs to "fuel" or cars and devices to improve our lives at the most fundamental economic levels. It *is* a rebalancing of wealth into the hands of the many from the hands of the few, by putting sustainable energy production and consumption into the hands of the many instead of just the few and its globally applicable. It empowers the individual, while strengthening the human community fabric.

Regardless of how any of use feel about wealth, money, and the current system, Elon at the top of the capitalist power list will fundamentally be better for us all than any of the alternatives in this real politik cut throat world.
This raises the question for me, if Musk were to sell his businesses, what would he put the money to? The easy quip is, Mars, but really his businesses are the best means to colonizing Mars. Moreover, a healthy culture and ecosystem here on Earth is absolutely critical to sustaining life on Mars.

Somehow when Andrew issues his opinion on TV, I have seen really huge moves in the stock right after. I don't know how he does it but he seems to be able influence a lot of MMs.

Yes that’s true - Andrew’s comments circa October 2018 appeared to have a huge positive impact on the stock price. I will remember this going forward.

Yes. Started yesterday ends today. Friday, shorts can act as usual.

Tomorrow is going to be very interesting. No more uptick rule, options expiring, etc.

I have hands of diamond on this last 4/17 600C. 70 days until expiration and counting.

The effect of the uptick rule has been overblown recently. I have not seen any significant correlation between its expiration and further sharp downswings the last several times it has been triggered. I think options expiration is the larger force at work here.

While not quite as impressive as the UK banning all new ICE vehicles by 2035, this is a step forward from the largest city in the US.

Mayor de Blasio to sign order for all municipal vehicles in NYC to be electric by 2040

Mayor de Blasio to sign order for all municipal vehicles in NYC to be electric by 2040

The first electric school buses will hit city streets this year after Mayor de Blasio signs an executive order requiring more than 20,000 on-road vehicles in New York City’s municipal fleet be plug-in electric by 2040.

The order, which de Blasio will announce in his annual State of the City on Thursday, will mean every single garbage truck, ferry, ambulance, police cruiser, bus, car and vehicle owned and operated by municipal agencies will have to be fully electric.

There are 25,104 on-road vehicles in the fleet now, just 8.5% or 2,134 are electric. The city also has 5,613 off-road vehicles like carts and light towers, and about 10% or 548 of them are electric.

The mayor’s office expects to see a 50% reduction in emissions from the fleet by 2025. The effort will cost $36 million next fiscal year and the city is assessing the price tag going forward.

“To address our climate crisis, New York City needs to stop burning fossil fuels and electrify everything," said de Blasio, who insists on being driven 12 miles in a hybrid minivan to his favorite gym on most workdays. “That’s why we’re making our entire fleet electric by 2040 – the equivalent of taking 750,000 cars off the street."

The order will require the city to buy the safest, cleanest type available anytime new vehicles must be purchased or older ones have to be replaced, phasing out non-electric models. The city would also have to identify long-term low or no carbon options for all vehicles and issue an annual report on the effort.

Not trying to be political, but I also suspect that if Trump wins again (seems likely) then Democrats will be more likely to pursue climate action at the local level as any hope for progress on the national level will have to wait another 4 years. (and will likely see erosion of current standards even)

I make a plea to those of you who, like me, are retail traders and not pros.
I am a very young retail trader from Italy, this is not financial advice, and you have no reason to believe me.

I know you are going to question my motives. I implore you to believe me that this is seriously done in good faith.
Feel free to dislike this x20, but please at least read my warning.
Nah, I'm good. I'm not investing to make a 8% return, I have the index funds in my 401k to make sure I don't starve when I'm old. Personally I'm taking a gamble that will result in me retiring on time with a comfortable but sufficient nest egg, or retiring early with more money than I need.

I don't think you will find many here that don't know exactly what they are getting into.

It's only illegal if the governing body prosecutes. Since the governing body has shown zero interest in protecting anyone but Wall Street and the Market Makers, it's perfectly fine to do these kinds of manipulations.
Heck, right now they could probably shoot somebody in the middle of 5th Street and get away with it.

Neither news nor macros support TSLA fade into close. You know who needs to keep TSLA under control until close of options on Friday. It's getting almost predictable.

I am missing something here. Let's say MM shorts the stock for the last 2 days, isn't that they have to buy the stock back eventually?
This will shoot the stock up. I am confused why Friday would be another down day then?