Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla, TSLA & the Investment World: the Perpetual Investors' Roundtable

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
At some point Ford will announce they are cutting their dividend "To focus on...blah blah"
That is when you know their dead.

I bet it is within 2 years.
It will be the last resort. Their insane dividend is why their stock price is over 5. The dividend yield is only because of the drop in stock price. I find it funny that anyone would risk their capital for that dividend. A 30% drop in the stock will make anyone have severe regrets over chasing a dividend

The new and dramatic reversal in investor sentiment on TSLA parallels a very recent positive change in media reporting on Tesla.

It stands to reason that there is also a parallel recent positive change in consumer sentiment about electric cars. Millions of people who, as recently as last quarter, were completely dismissing Tesla, now have awoken to the inevitability of electric cars.

Which may mean that the declining sales of ICE cars is about to get much, much more dramatic.
Gotta say your post makes me angry...at least at certain levels. It just points out how influential the main stream media is on the perceptions of a generally uneducated, misinformed public. However, with the positive spin lately, let's hope it has a corresponding positive impact on public perceptions...both of Tesla and EVs in general.

By the way, I don't mean this as an attack of your post. On the contrary, it is it's accuracy that angers me!

Dan

Earlier this morning CNBC was running a crawl that indicated that auto sales in China were off > 90% in the first half of February if I have that correctly.

I think this is bullish for Tesla MIC in that this holding of sales overall will accrue to the benefit of Tesla as they build up production capacity.

If you learn to wait, then you also learn that you can wait a little longer to get a Tesla. This will not work so well for ICE manufacturers IMO.
I haven't seen the article, but it seems to me it would make sense that car sales are down in February in China. The entire country was on lock down for Christ's sake! They had a little thing going around if I am not mistaken. LOL!

Dan

Gotta say your post makes me angry...at least at certain levels. It just points out how influential the main stream media is on the perceptions of a generally uneducated, misinformed public. However, with the positive spin lately, let's hope it has a corresponding positive impact on public perceptions...both of Tesla and EVs in general.

By the way, I don't mean this as an attack of your post. On the contrary, it is it's accuracy that angers me!

Dan
Wow, not to dredge up this chicken and egg debate again, but the historical anti-Tesla slant of the mainstream media reflected the historical anti-Tsla sentiment of the investment community.

Perhaps you would like the denizens of the press to be more enlightened than the hacks on Wall Street, but I don’t live in that dream world.

What made this forum incredible over the years is that the relatively few people in the world who saw all this coming assembled together here to circle our wagons.

Now that our views are going mainstream, I fear this forum will become more ho hum. Fortunately, we’ve made enough on our TSLA bets to afford new entertainment options.

At some point Ford will announce they are cutting their dividend "To focus on...blah blah"
That is when you know their dead.

I bet it is within 2 years.
tell-me-oems-dc27192b52.jpg

Now that our views are going mainstream, I fear this forum will become more ho hum. Fortunately, we’ve made enough on our TSLA bets to afford new entertainment options.

The amount of TMC members will grow, as it already has, but we are still a relatively small group with a high ratio of interested people researching and discussing ideas.

Therefore I believe we will stay ahead of the mainstream understanding of what Tesla is and where it is going, just like Tesla is staying ahead of its competitors.

I dunno, when the SP goes to $480 after that 10:1 split, I think it will be pretty exciting.

Question for the raging bulls with a hold 'em till the wheels fall off strategy.
Would you or do you ever put your shares at risk with selling covered calls? The recent gouging on buying calls has me thinking about selling short term, low probability calls. The way I understand them, at worst, I am forced to sell my 100 shares at the strike price and keep the fee. At best, I still keep the fee and my shares.
The example I'll use here is 3/20/20, $1,200 strike pays $1,600. Would it really be so bad if I sold 100 shares at $1,200 a month from now knowing what I do today.

A % of my stocks is always up for sale via covered calls. ( 30%) - this is for the MM who are delta hedging :). I have another 20% planned to try to take advantage of short squeeze if prices go over 1200. (Limit order, because I cannot manage my account all day). 50% is what I will not touch no matter what.

At the same time, I am willing to add scaffolding to my positions by buying other calls around the sold covered calls, to negate the delta.
For lower SP buying back would be OK, but now Covered Calls are more expensive to buy back. So I buy other calls instead.
Once the current ones are negated, I then sell even further out Calls once again.
I current have $900 calls which have been push from covered calls I sold in 320 range. What I learnt is this is all manageable if you have other funds in your account. In my personal account with less funds, I had to get rid of shares and calls, since the SP went up so high, and it was basically dead money.

So might not always work, but it can be made to work.

based on Tesla's road map, my current thought is to always make sure i can manage the Covered Calls and not let go of core holdings(even the 30%). Rest is just "safety valve" and gamesmanship. Cheers!!

I for one will wait till this extreme problem has been rectified.
Should't be hard. In a life-support system test I participated in with NASA many years ago, we easily converted part of the water recovery system into a brewing kettle/fermenter. Came out pretty good.