Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla, TSLA & the Investment World: the Perpetual Investors' Roundtable

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I hate to be callous, but the worst, worst case scenario for Coronavirus is that ~half the world population gets it, ~1% of those who get it (mostly economically inactive old sick people) die, and ~5 months later the world's population is already hitting new all-time highs...
That would imply 35 million deaths a year compared to the estimate of 650k deaths by the flu every year. (source)

Reactions: aubreymcfato
Given peoples heightened paranoia and fear, I can definitely see a day when the web designer at tesla goes in and highlights the BIOWEAPONS DEFENSE MODE option in large font bold. I would :D. Plus I'd argue a single touchscreen is way easier to disinfect than a hodgepodge of switches and knobs...

One person in my county has tested positive and is quarantined at home. And I drove to buy groceries today and did not even use Bioweapons Defense Mode. :eek::rolleyes:

Still I'm not selling my car nor my TSLA shares.

But I have been revising my plan for what to do if the markets continue down. Still too expensive for me to bring out the slow and not so easily accessible dry powder. Reading up on how to find the bottom of this. Not so easy.

So, you are saying a virus destroyed global markets?
I am waiting for the punchline...

4dd43e29e0d8c62679bd6fcd49c14d2454c3efc6.gifv

That would imply 35 million deaths a year compared to the estimate of 650k deaths by the flu every year. (source)

It's purposely overstated... "Worst, worst"

People are going to look back and laugh at this... "Remember in 2020 when the market lost >$4 trillion in value in a week over a new strain of the flu?"

Just buy and hold seems like simplistic advice.

Indeed! So simple that people can’t even do it.

Let’s take a hypothetical investor...

Let’s not and say we did.

@KarenRei is an intelligent being, who not only can regularly tap that intelligence but also appears able to control her money emotions - the latter that several here clearly can not. So what works for her/what she’s capable of doing is not, in fact, relevant or even a slightly good idea to try for those who can’t even follow a simple strategy like buy and hold.

Is advice.

Indeed! So simple that people can’t even do it.

Let’s not and say we did.

@KarenRei is an intelligent being, who not only can regularly tap that intelligence but also appears able to control her money emotions - the latter that several here clearly can not. So what works for her/what she’s capable of doing is not, in fact, relevant or even a slightly good idea to try for those who can’t even follow a simple strategy like buy and hold.

Is advice.

I would say those who can’t control their emotions and are not intelligent should not be investing in single companies or possibly even index funds at all.

Also portfolio re-balancing helps with emotions. It allows you to not mind huge drops like the current one as much. I deleveraged in the $800’s and $900’s and it is a comfort to be buying back TSLA cheaper even as my net worth falls. It helps to have a thought out plan in place exactly for events like now.

Of course its impossible to predict, but the last 15 minutes do suspiciously look like the bottom. I think people hunting for the bottom of this should either:
a) buy now, then not look for 72 hours
b) stay literally glued to your screens because the turnaround may well be quick.

Its interesting that market,s Gold AND bitcoin are all down. So people are NOT moving money away to other investments, they are literally sitting on cash piles waiting. They will not wait forever.

I would suggest fear is causing the markets to tumble.

Greed will return.

I’m buying.

Not an advice.

Agreed. I just posted a joke which sometimes helps navigate difficult times (at least myself).
Long term investors (like my shares positions) just need to hold.
Short term trades, well I think we need to see what happens but be 100% ready in a few weeks. April is an interesting month, when analysts may realise the 'blade' is still pretty sharp...

Last edited:
It's purposely overstated... "Worst, worst"

People are going to look back and laugh at this... "Remember in 2020 when the market lost >$4 trillion in value in a week over a new strain of the flu?"
ppl should look at China, where they tried to hide and let the virus spread freely for one full month, and they are at around 80k infected, and 2.8k death. You can debate whether the number is real or not, but that's official number. All the posts around here such as half of world population will get infected, 30 millions fatality, 20% of US population will be in ICU, all ridiculous and shameful.

Last edited:
Reactions: X Fan
Of course its impossible to predict, but the last 15 minutes do suspiciously look like the bottom. I think people hunting for the bottom of this should either:

Similar feeling here. But it is difficult to enter just before a weekend when one scary news may unleash more of this red ink into Monday...
Not sure if there is a typical pattern when fear goes into end of week trading.