Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla, TSLA & the Investment World: the Perpetual Investors' Roundtable

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Arguably it is the job of the Fed to counter adverse supply and demand shocks that might hurt the U.S. economy - which the coronavirus certainly has the capability to do.

So while Trump's motivation is to get reelected, he's right that the Fed should act - which the Fed today signalled that they are willing to do, via rate cuts.

The Fed will not be able to get people to leave homes if cases start to popup all over the country. People will just hunker down. If kids need to stay home from schools and parents dont get paid time off/paid sick time the Fed wont be able to help much.

The Fed will not be able to get people to leave homes if cases start to popup all over the country. People will just hunker down. If kids need to stay home from schools and parents dont get paid time off/paid sick time the Fed wont be able to help much.

True, but if the infections are simply slowed down enough, then the impact won't be nearly as severe, because the impact is staggered. Playing for time also helps because the virus will get weaker as it spreads.

China got shut down because the outbreak got out of control in a 5 million residents large city and a large province. The outbreaks in other places all seem to have a much smaller scale.

The Fed lowering interest rates could stimulate economic activity everywhere else, which counterbalances the negative effects to a certain degree.

Those who don't get paid sick time will just go to work and infect the other workers. Even if you have paid sick days, fear of RIF will keep many on the job. I wouldn't want to be the executive who instituted the no paid sick leave policy or the environment where folks feel they need to come in or be RIFfed.

Yes but they can keep people from defaulting on mortgages and debt as a result of not working.

Those who don't get paid sick time will just go to work and infect the other workers. Even if you have paid sick days, fear of RIF will keep many on the job. I wouldn't want to be the executive who instituted the no paid sick leave policy or the environment where folks feel they need to come in or be RIFfed.
So, the vast majority of companies then? ;)

Years of working in consulting has shown me that most middle and upper managers are incredibly short sighted.

This was spotted at the factory in Fremont just recently. It's happening! :cool::D

88097629_10158366624854203_2453749545310355456_o.jpg

88146799_10158366625004203_8764174560430915584_o.jpg

how so? Are they giving these people loans?
I don't know the how, but that will be the goal. Otherwise it's all for naught. The average American literally can't skip work for a week and still make rent. So people staying home from work, schools closed etc. If that happens they will probably start cutting checks to US citizens.

Wow your call spreads are actually far more bullish than mine

I don't necessarily expect to my newly bought 1200$ and 1300$ calls to go ITM, instead I expect to sell well before expiry.

I am merely betting that from TSLA's deeply depressed SP of today we will go (at least) a lot closer to ATH during spring or early summer, which should provide me with ample opportunity to sell with a healthy gain.

So I chose these calls because they run for 6-8 months and because they provide a lot of leverage - which I felt I needed today, because I had little cash available and still wanted to get something out of the day.

For Tesla to qualify for S&P 500 inclusion with 2020Q2, they just need that quarter to be GAAP profitable, and for this quarter to lose at most 248M$. Yes, with just a couple million dollars of Q2 profits, Tesla can afford to lose 1/4 billion dollars in Q1 and still qualify for S&P 500 inclusion.

So although my Aug. call option will have lost a lot of time value when Q2 P&D report comes out, it could work out OK - and even more so for the October one.

At least I got these options with a healthy discount today and will look forward to following the SP in the coming weeks.

In after-hours trading, TSLA has gone green, at least for the time being. The market wants to rally on Monday. The flip side is that a weekend is a lot of time for the virus scare to generate more bad headlines. Personally, I prefer rally.
Read Papafox’s TMC thread - check
make limit order $635 right at the lower BB while brewing morning coffee - check
make money - check

Shout out @Papafox and all regular contributors to this thread for your invaluable advices, rants and memes. Have a great week-end.

Maybe the Fed can convert $100 bills into N95 masks to alleviate the problem.

We bought a box of like 25 N95 masks last year (had to spend a week moving a relative out of a very moldy house) and we still have a ton of them and now we’re thinking, hmm, should we sell ‘em for a bunch of TSLA shares, or hold on to them for the zombie hordes... tough choice? Nah! :)

Since when did March 15th become "late March"?
The real headlines will be the comparisons between the Model 3 launch and the Y launch.
Reminder:
Model 3 launched with 30 vehicles, Y?
After a long time, experts managed to put their hands on Model 3-s, and they found the body manufacturing is bad, the quality of the car is really bad. Talking heads explained that Tesla should outsource manufacturing to legacy guys because they have no clue how to do mass manufacturing. Model Y?

We can guess at this point some answers about Model Y but I suspect that the conclusion will be that Tesla in less than 3 years has become from worse the best manufacturer.

Unless something changed, the Tesla contracted portion of the Moss Landing project was approved this week. It is 'only' a 182.5MW 4 hour 730 MWh system.
Overall project:
https://www.pge.com/en/about/newsroom/newsdetails/index.page?title=20180629_pge_proposes_four_new_cost-effective_energy_storage_projects_to_cpuc

The Dynegy/ Vistra portion approved last year Moss Landing mega battery project faces environmental challenge from union group. is the 300 MW / 1.2 GWh portion.

However, Dynegy/ Vistra may be using Megapacks also Tesla Megapack to debut at giant energy project in California - Electrek

See also :Tesla, TSLA & the Investment World: the 2019-2020 Investors' Roundtable

I'm interested in some speculation on Mass Landing and Hornsdale, cell sourcing pricing etc..

(Feel free to correct anything)

For starters just assuming Moss Landing is using 1 GWh of cells how many Model 3/Y would that volume of cells build and how much profit would Tesla make on the cars?

My rough guess 15,000 cars profit $150M.

Next question where are Megapacks to be made? My guesses in order Nevada or Buffalo

What would be the cost and profit margin on 1 GWh worth of Megapacks..

(My wild guesses sort of deduced from Hornsdale)

High: Revenue $600M Profit $120M, Low: Revenue $300M Profit $60M,

My hunch is closer to the low side, which means Battery Investor Day will reveal that energy storage cells will come from a different supply than automotive, no big surprise...

It may or may not also reveal where Megapacks will be made...

So in summary I don't think Tesla will be forgoing around $150M of profit on 15,000 Model 3/Ys, they will find a way to do both..

The Daily Short Selling Report is out from FINRA. It was another day of high volume naked short selling with the 'Uptick Rule' curcuit breakers supposedly protecting Investors:
  • 5.80% naked short vs today's non-exempt Short Vol
  • 137th Percentile rank naked shorting vs Feb 2020 data
But its the 1st time TSLA has managed to Close above its Open during this prolonged bear attack (Feb 2020).

DailyShortSaleVolume.2020-02-28.png

I'm not saying that the Bears won't continue their raids; I'm saying that they've dulled their claws. And thats a good thing for TSLA.

Cheers!