Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla, TSLA & the Investment World: the Perpetual Investors' Roundtable

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
So.... I got margin called one of my positions, and lost some actual real cash (a REAL loss :D). This bums me out...because I'm pretty sure that it will all turn around pretty rapidly, once the model Y is in the news, and we get Q1 production/delivery.
The trouble is, I made a rule with myself to have a limit as to how much cash I'd put in my trading account, and i'm right at it now. I do NOT want to be one of those dorks who loses his lifes savings because he didnt know when to stop :D

I'm mostly playing with previous TSLA winnings anyway, so the actual loss is still zero.

If it carries on down tomorrow, I could be margin called even more, but I just cant imagine it continuing to fall without some deep pocketed long term investors deciding to scoop up stock at a bargain. Is that just wishful thinking?

I feel some here need to consider the option that TSLA does continue down if the market does so. If leveraged like we are, precautions may need to be taken. To be clear, there is Nothing wrong with Tesla! They'll sell all their cars, production seems to be unconstrained and operating very well, great timing on Model Y to keep demand sky high, great timing on cap raise to keep everything running. WE know this, and sometimes this is my greatest downfall. Expecting the market to know what we know here. They wont have a clue until Q1 numbers come out how unaffected Tesla has been. When they figure out half of what we know here it will coincide with a sharp rebound. That or the markets rebounds and TSLA should be one of the most sought after picks for sure. People literally think a 200 kWh battery from GM is competition for TSLA *facepalm*

I finally feel safe after hedging 25% of my account last week on various puts on the SPX, banks, ford, VIX calls etc. Instead of losing 30% of my account value today I gained 25% while still holding 75% TSLA leaps. Hedge gains being converted to TSLA positions as they grow.
Yeah it sucked to sell some of my position in TSLA, but it's nearly what it was again while keeping the hedge which is now larger.

I can't say if the DOW will go to 18,000 or 32,000 in the next months, but after today's success and slight re balancing, at worst I should end up neutral from here(slight macro/tsla gains over next months) medium would be sharp rebound from here I lose my current hedge but keep all call gains. At best the hedge pays off huge and I really get to accumulate which helps immensely in the long run. Hedge was mostly based on how the US is handling NCOV, worth following the coronavirus thread.

Not advice, just something to consider. Mostly the part where we have greater TSLA insight than the market and how difficult that can be at times to use to your advantage.

Aside from hedging, it seems wise to lessen leverage when things are high and use more leverage when things are undervalued as to avoid situations like this. I can't say if this is the bottom or not so going off margin now and missing a huge rise would be tragic, but I hit my pain tolerance and had to do something, which as of a few days ago was better late than never. Going off margin and re-entering when things start to clear up is an option, remains to be seen if it's a good option at this point. That's a call you have to make, I wish you the best and don't want to see our investors get burnt. (Leveraged investing is very different from you lifers who never sell, please don't all jump on this post :p) If not willing to make these kinds of judgement calls, non levered would be recommended though. HODL!

I have to return to work this Thursday. It will be interesting to see how busy the airport's are. Since I am based in Atlanta it should be easy to gauge how much travel has been restricted.

Wish I had more dry powder as I do love a good sale price. However the "do nothing" side of me is also pretty content.
My crystal ball ( not really all that clear these day's mind you) says by May the Debbie downers among us will be back to dancing a happy dance. And I will be feeling just as I am now...content and happy.

Peace

As if you needed any other reason for why Tesla will keep their EV lead:

I am a Sales Engineer for a space supplier and I have been working closely with SpaceX and traditional space companies like ULA, Boeing, and Aerojet since 2004. I can tell you that as late as 2015 the traditional space companies were still laughing at SpaceX as a joke. At SpaceX a new valve design takes 2 months to complete and testing can be done a month later. SpaceX engineers tend to be young and use the latest FEA and CFD tools to analyze the valves before actual testing. At SpaceX, the motto is "fail fast, learn fast". At the traditional space companies, a new valve design takes at least 2 years to design and another 2 years for evaluation. Many traditional space companies' engineers do not use FEA and CFD tools and rely on simple calculations and engineering intuition. While the traditional space companies are scrambling to design a rocket that can compete with the reusable Falcon 9 that has 50 consecutive successful launches, SpaceX is already moving ahead with the next generation vehicle, Starship. The problem is that most traditional space companies' engineers are older and used to the way business has been done for the last 60 years. People don't change.

I see the same case with traditional car companies and their engineers and established leadership too slow moving and too stubborn to compete effectively with Tesla. Of course, Tesla will not have 100% share of the EV market but I see them having no issue winning 15% to 20% of EV market share going forward. I hope that GM and Ford succeed with EVs. My next car will be a model Y.

Actually, I know a guy who was born with a silver spoon in his mouth! ;)

And the price of silver just kept going up. By age three his net worth had gone up 250%! o_O

Seriously though, that comment about the losses not being "real" losses because they came from other gains struck my funny bone as well. I totally disagree with that kind of thinking (which might seem odd coming from someone who doesn't view unrealized losses the same way as realized losses).

But then you mentioned the obviously wrong concept that we were all born with $0 in our hands so there can't be any losses in life. That got me thinking about how I view life and money. And I realized that very concept, that we came into the world with nothing (and will leave with nothing) is actually a valuable one even though I disagree that we should view losses as not being a loss. But I do think my detachment from money is closely related to that thought.

I can't really tie the ends together on this thought except to say that most of us take money far too seriously. And if you learn how to live well on less, then money becomes even less important. People's problem with money is that they think they need a lot of it to live a happy and fulfilling life. Or that the amount of money they have defines who they are. Neither of which is true. If anything, the desire for more money is a trap.
I am somewhat leveraged. My thesis is sound although I'm fairly anxious, not just with TSLA but with many other things in life. I can see how my psyche is interfering with my ability to stay 100% at peace during all this and I can only hope I'll improve with time. For now I'm telling myself to keep standing for something. I really appreciate your unwavering stance on this.

I'm driving the Jeep up to Buffalo for Battery Day and would love to take the top down for at least some of the ride. Pushing it back to mid-May is fine by me!

Edit: Lets be honest.....Elon was gonna be a couple weeks late anyway.
As an aside, I would love to attend as well since it'll be an easy drive down the Queens's Highway from Toronto. Do we need an invite normally, or do you just show up? Never been to one of these, so not sure about the process.

As an aside, I would love to attend as well since it'll be an easy drive down the Queens's Highway from Toronto. Do we need an invite normally, or do you just show up? Never been to one of these, so not sure about the process.

As far as I know all Tesla events are invite only. And for the autonomy investor day I think there were only like 30 people invited.

Also, I don't think the location for battery and powertrain day has been announced. The only thing that has been mention is a "company talk" at GF2 in April, but that is a different event. (That I think is just for employees.)

• Informative
Reactions: johnnybgood888
There is definitely an after-hours rise:

upload_2020-3-9_16-7-2.png

I'm not sure if this seems to be a market-wide increase though.

Just a new measure to prop up the markets.
“We are to be meeting with House Republicans, Mitch McConnell, and discussing a possible payroll tax cut or relief, substantial relief, very substantial relief,” Trump said..

How long will this last?

“We are to be meeting with House Republicans, Mitch McConnell, and discussing a possible payroll tax cut or relief, substantial relief, very substantial relief,” Trump said..

How long will this last?
Until Election Day, 2020 or 2024.

How long will this last?
Until the wind direction changes. (or the stock market recovers). Even if followed through, it does nothing for Seniors.