Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla, TSLA & the Investment World: the Perpetual Investors' Roundtable

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Yet, only $8.3B into fighting COVID-19.
Not that you can keep on throwing money after money into the virus.
But, just gives you a perspective of how important the stock market is above all.
It is not in Federal reserve bank's mandate to allocate funds to cure anything. Their mandate is price stability and employment level.

Hopefully the 500B trickles down to where it is needed the most: small businesses, travel and hospitality industry. And it better do it fast before consumer confidence takes a hit, as it is long to repair and might spiral.

I don't think it's a low volume sell off.
All my brokers are reporting extreme high volume and sluggish interface in house.
Rather, the volume is probably really high with many unreported because the overall system is overloaded.

Anecdotal report.
People calling their brokers crying. Having lost their life savings.
I have to call in and blindly place orders based on my internal calculations because most of the price quotes are acting wacky.

I don't know how many are following the coronavirus thread.

MODERATOR:

The above is the SOLE portion of this thread that is allowed to remain. Moderators are going to enforce the continued prohibition regarding NON-MARKET posts by placing violators on multiple-day quarantines.

There is NO reason to continue this activity. However, if forum participants spend their entire time solely on this thread rather than making productive use of the VERY GOOD threads that are dedicated to specific topics then, quite brutally, those participants not only are doing themselves a disservice, but are diminishing the quality of other participants' time here.

~~~Vetinari~~~

Last edited by a moderator:
BTW... although I haven't seen anyone else say it, I assume I'm not the only one who's been thinking that the reason for Tesla's sudden about-face on raising capital might have been to internal concerns about the virus?

The more the market goes on, the more I think this. I even think that the Chinese government told Tesla more details than otherwise released publicly, since China wants Tesla to succeed--if only to ensure that they get as many electric cars as possible.

If you sold during this bear market why wouldn’t you do it again during the next one?

My answer, though I realize you're not directing the question at me - this one looks significantly and qualitatively different from every other bear market during my life.

More like the big bear market that my parents (as children) and their parents lived through. Thankfully those don't come around often.

Reactions: Eugene Ash
I have never seen such a sequence of terrible decisions by people in charge. Massive failure all around.
It is so bad I almost want to believe they had a plan to crash the economy rather than think they are so dim.
Sad. :oops:
Reminds me of something I heard as a 22-yr-old 2nd Lt:

Q: What's the difference between the Army and the Boy Scouts?

A: The Boy Scouts have Adult Leadership.​

Cheers!

I don't think it's a low volume sell off.
All my brokers are reporting extreme high volume and sluggish interface in house.
Rather, the volume is probably really high with many unreported because the overall system is overloaded.

Anecdotal report.
People calling their brokers crying. Having lost their life savings.
I have to call in and blindly place orders based on my internal calculations because most of the price quotes are acting wacky.

Lost their life savings? Market is back to ~Jan/Feb 2019 level. What's up.

This is the other thing I am interested in as investment for both myself and some shares I just sold. Any suggestions on the "healthly" market plays - besides face masks.
15840373508708482204546610461076.jpg

I don't know when you bought your original shares of TSLA, but I am curious about how you're handling the tax on any gain you may have had at $700. Did that enter in your decision to sell? I know it would in mine, but since my basis is pretty low, most of the cash I would receive would be long-term capital gain... lower rate yes, but still consequential for me.

If you feel like sharing, I would appreciate knowing how to that figured in your decision. Thanks!

It didn't since I have them in a retirement account that is only taxed small amounts when you move money in or out of the account. There is also a very small quarterly tax on the balance but overall it's a lot lower then normal stock taxes. So no immediate tax on any profit.

Not an American obviously.