Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla, TSLA & the Investment World: the Perpetual Investors' Roundtable

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
In fact you can sell puts at:

desired_price + put_premium

For example if $350 is a good price to you, you can sell $450 puts and get about $100 premium per share.

If you get assigned you get the shares at $450-$100 = $350 effective price, because you keep the premium. If you don't get assigned you have up to 22% return on the cash backing.
This is almost precisely my scenario. Was wondering how I would feel about this worst case scenario. Feeling pretty great doubling down at ~$362.

The Fremont factory will be forced to close for at least the next three weeks. Six counties in the Bay Area will be shut down, including Alameda County (where Fremont is located in). From the article: "Everyone is to work from home, or stop working, unless they provide an essential service, which includes health care workers; police, fire and other emergency responders; and utility providers such as electricians, plumbers, and sanitation workers."

Officials will be announcing the Public Health order at 1pm PDT.

Details here: Bay Area 'shelter in place' expected: Only essential businesses open in 6 counties with 6.7 million people until April 7

Live stream:
I am pretty sure that local government crap like this will make an impact when it comes to other companies trying to find a place to put a plant.
I don't know what I would do if the government told me I could not make a living...unless they paid me for depriving me of the right.

• Disagree
Reactions: EVCollies
Tesla cars will shine during a lockdown provided that they don't lock down car travel.
No need to conserve gas usage for fear of shortages.
Entertainment while charging
Work on your laptop all day at a sunny spot in the country side.
Bio weapon defense mode in the cities where millions of droplets rain down on the road from apartment dwellers high above.

Tesla cars are made for this.

I am pretty sure that local government crap like this will make an impact when it comes to other companies trying to find a place to put a plant.
I don't know what I would do if the government told me I could not make a living...unless they paid me for depriving me of the right.
There's no choice. Hospitals could get overwhelmed. They need to cut transmission rapidly. Better to suck it up for three weeks and get processes in place to start functioning again.

Tesla cars will shine during a lockdown provided that they don't stop car traffic.
No need to conserve gas usage for fear of shortages.
Entertainment while charging
Work on your laptop all day at a sunny spot in the country side.
Bio weapon defense mode in the cities where millions of droplets rain down on the road from apartment dwellers high above.

Tesla cars are made for this.

San Francisco is stopping car traffic.

• Informative
Reactions: SOULPEDL
"We still aren't just testing for the virus"

I believe that is starting to change with many areas now offering drive-in testing (In Collier County, FL where I live one of the major hospital groups just enacted a drive up test and Lee County to the North has a hospital group doing the same). In NC, where two of my sons are located they have just started the process too in Charlotte & Raleigh areas (my son is a Dr. at UNC Hospitals). My son is moving to the Cleveland Clinic this summer and while up there last week, he saw there is drive up testing commencing this week at both the Cleveland Clinic and University Hospitals. Just three examples but my sense is that the ramp up in testing is occurring in many municipalities this week.

As I've written in the Corona-thread, according to an article in the NYT [Kindle version], testing in the US is supposed to be massively ramped up during this week, with [from memory] 2'000 private labs using automated equipment participating in the federally organized effort. We shall see.

This would be - if so accomplished - a critical inflection point regarding available data.

#Europe #Carmakers #Debt
Also today... automotive manufacturing plants closing down all over Europe. Via the FT.
Subscribe to read | Financial Times

A very interesting table from the article above:
http%3A%2F%2Fcom.ft.imagepublish.upp-prod-eu.s3.amazonaws.com%2F185e9940-67ac-11ea-800d-da70cff6e4d3

FYI - I was discussing the Tesla factory being in danger of shutdown over a week ago because of the virus, but it was deemed not an appropriate subject for this main investment thread.

just saying, stifling conversation about Coronavirus in the main investor thread was a mistake.

We got a lot of naysayers here even just a few days. If this shutdown doesn’t wake up those people, not sure what would. Maybe someone in their close circle being hospitalized or the police telling them not to leave their home? Because both are potential outcomes in the near future if people continue to not accept the gravity of the situation.

But, I did well on my down bets today :)

Edit: The virus doesn’t care what Elon or Trump has to say.

Last edited:
Reactions: Thekiwi
Maybe I'm stating the obvious, but the short term financial ramifications of a 3 week shutdown would be quite significant, correct? Like on the order of a billion dollar Q1 loss? And this would obliterate any chance of S&P inclusion for maybe a year.

I'm not trying to promote FUD if someone could better estimate the costs of a 3 week loss of product, that would be informative...

I don't know, I am really regretting not selling some when it was at 900-800. I have 104 shares at a price of 270.
With everything going as it is, wouldn't you think a price of 350 is in the cards short term? Holy crap, I could have almost doubled my position had I seen this coming.
Do I hold or sell some and buy back in if it gets lower? Its getting hard to lose 10 grand every day.

In 2018 I bought the equivalent of stock (TSLA) as it cost for a three year maintenance package on our X. Since then it has gone up and down, but so far still higher. Meanwhile maintenance is no longer required every 10K miles. Bottom line ~ I bought more stock (yes, a small amount) and I keep digging for the pony in all this poo:rolleyes: High vs Low is relative ~ I personally can not win.

PS ~ hope that made sense.:eek:

Thursday, get my over payment (tax refund) due to installing solar panels and our Tesla batteries. Might be able to con my wife into reinvesting for a future cruise :D We were supposed to fly out this morning:oops:

Note: Tesla is reviewing their maintenance program. I was told that it is no longer required at 12K, and they are looking more down the road ~ i. e. no mileage requirement. Compare that to my fossil fuel Toyota pickup every 5K. The current sequester will save me big time. Now, if Toyota would establish roving maintenance like Tesla, I might consider getting the truck serviced.

I do not know when to buy or sell, just go by the seat of my pants.:confused: Wear out jeans frequently:eek: FYI ~ this not a suggested buying or selling strategy ~ ever;)