Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla, TSLA & the Investment World: the Perpetual Investors' Roundtable

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
There is also a resistive heater in the local heating loop for cold temperatures.
No, there isn't. There is a resistive heater in the local loop to assist in starting the heat pump in sub -10C temperatures. Do you think the resistive element continues to draw power AFTER the heat pump is running?

That COLD START is the innovation. I recommend you listen to Elon again. Then perhaps you'll appreciate why Elon has a Model Y heat pump on the dressing room table in his bedroom.

But you didn't answer my question as to why you claimed the Model Y "won"
You haven't grok'd the purpose of the heating loop, or its advantage in cold temps, which is the subject here. Comparing the Model Y to an 'S' was a confound; the video should have used a '3'.

Model Y is demonstrated 10% more efficient than Model 3. Model 3 has a resistive heater. Elon says the heat pump makes the difference for the Model Y. This result didn't come from magic.

Heat pumps will always win in efficiency against resistive heaters, so long as they are able to start. The heating loop in the Model Y means the heat pump can start down to at least -20 C temp.

Once its running, it will always be more efficient than a pure resistive heater, even if it requires some augmentation from a resistive element, because that will always be less energy required than 100% resistive heating.

Come Wintertime, some intrepid 3rd part should do a proper comparison test between the 'Y' and the '3'. Numbers will help make this advantage clear.

No, there isn't. There is a resistive heater in the local loop to assist in starting the heat pump in sub -10C temperatures. Do you think the resistive element continues to draw power AFTER the heat pump is running?

That COLD START is the innovation. I recommend you listen to Elon again. Then perhaps you'll appreciate why Elon has a Model Y heat pump on the dressing room table in his bedroom.

You haven't grok'd the purpose of the heating loop, or its advantage in cold temps, which is the subject here. Comparing the Model Y to an 'S' was a confound; the video should have used a '3'.

Model Y is demonstrated 10% more efficient than Model 3. Model 3 has a resistive heater. Elon says the heat pump makes the difference for the Model Y. This result didn't come from magic.

Heat pumps will always win in efficiency against resistive heaters, so long as they are able to start. The heating loop in the Model Y means the heat pump can start down to at least -20 C temp.

Once its running, it will always be more efficient than a pure resistive heater, even if it requires some augmentation from a resistive element, because that will always be less energy required than 100% resistive heating.

Come Wintertime, some intrepid 3rd part should do a proper comparison test between the 'Y' and the '3'. Numbers will help make this advantage clear.

The Model Y heat pump gives more range when running, I'm sure Elon didn't make that up..

I have my doubts about a stationary test like this nothing in the car is running to generate heat, if the outside air is cold the heat pump is at a disadvantage.

IMO a better test is 2 cars set out from the same location at the same time, and drive to another location in cold weather...

I think you are both right, but because you are "the mod of mods" you win of course.

Why ? Because the general public will remember the clear skies ... and they will buy EV ... and Tesla is way ahead of its competitors.

My view ...

Agreed. There is irrefutable visual evidence to the entire population of the damage combustion vehicles are having on city air quality - IMO it makes the argument to transition to EVs far more strongly than any scientific paper, research, comment by experts, etc.

Once people go outside and start smelling fumes again I think there will be an acceleration of the general public's desire for cleaning up city air.

TSLA opens at 733 (USD) in Frankfurt
Futures are trending towards a positive start Dow is at +200 currently

late night/early morning update for those who don’t sleep

No it didn't. It opened at 659.70 Euro, which is $717.32. It dropped to ~$715 right after too.

Now, however, at 678.60 Euro is about $737.87, and seems to be on an up trajectory.

• Helpful
Reactions: Artful Dodger
Tesla finally gaining traction in S Korea.

Lots of foot traffic at stores for 2 plus years without many sales but lookie here...

SK.jpg

EV Sales: South Korea March 2020

This was also refreshing to see.
"And, Vice President Biden has committed that Biden for President will not accept contributions from oil, gas and coal corporations or executives."
"Biden for President" is the org specially run by Biden. It is not run by the DNC, though certainly the two will be collaborating to get him voted in.

However, the DNC do and are happy to continue taking big fat donations from fossil fuel companies.
DNC reverses ban on fossil fuel donations
Thus, those companies will donate directly to the DNC, and Biden's statement will maintain legitimacy. :\

Generally though I think supporting Tesla will be easy for the Biden government, it's a great banner to wave if you want to present yourself as "pro-green agenda."

When we see US taxpayers' money spent installing Superchargers, I will be happy.

I've been pondering the public response and thereafter the regulators' response to the obviously cleaner air when we get to the end of lockdown. I have this deep sense that the young 'Gretas' and health practitioners of the world will not sit by quietly whilst the world just re-pollutes its cities....

Clearly they can't just ban cars and trucks overnight or even 'force' people to buy EVs but they could introduce some incremental regulatory scheme.

For example, take London (already with its congestion zone and extra charge for diesels) London could introduce a small central area (the City square mile?) where only EVs are permitted (no ICE vehicles even with 'penalties'). Electric 'Last Mile Delivery' services would flourish and many companies would convert to EVs and move their ICE delivery vehicles out of town.

Each year this area would increase incrementally until it covered most of London in, what?, 10 years time....Financial incentives could initially be used if necessary.

Sure it would cost some funds and enforce some changes but we will need economic stimulus to get out of the Covid 19 recession somehow so it may as well be positive! Imagine the changed landscape if most of the major cities in the world, in unison, introduced such measures. Turn cities into EV zones quickly and move the massive stock of ICE vehicles (which will become cheap) out of town initially where they will do less harm and where they can be phased out as EVs take over 100%.....

This was also refreshing to see.
"And, Vice President Biden has committed that Biden for President will not accept contributions from oil, gas and coal corporations or executives."

That statement on the page is a lie, unfortunately. Biden attended a fundraiser of a fossil fuel executive. When pressed about it, he lied and said "He’s not a fossil fuel executive”. His campaign also has several other ties to the energy industry [1], [2], [3].

But of course he would be better than Trump in terms of climate change and given how incredibly well Tesla executed under the current political climate, the future looks bright.

To avoid a purely political post, looks like Tesla is rolling out stopping for traffic lights for early access users. This should help Q2 FSD revenue at least a little, but more importantly, it opens the door to gather a lot of valuable data.

Edit: I'm a bit confused with the rollout of this update, as we've seen a video of this feature before. However, the poster of the video, Out of Spec Motoring, said they couldn't share any details. Seemed to be even more secretive than the early access program, so this update now indeed may bring it to more people.

To avoid a purely political post, looks like Tesla is rolling out stopping for traffic lights for early access users. This should help Q2 FSD revenue at least a little, but more importantly, it opens the door to gather a lot of valuable data.

I don't think it adds that much to the data, since bits of FSD are continuously running in "shadow mode" on non-beta tester cars. I'd say they'd even get the affirmed responses, since non-beta cars have to press the accelerator pedal to move forward (might be why Tesla made that requirement for the Beta testers, actually, rather than a hand-affirmation).

I don't think it adds that much to the data, since bits of FSD are continuously running in "shadow mode" on non-beta tester cars. I'd say they'd even get the affirmed responses, since non-beta cars have to press the accelerator pedal to move forward (might be why Tesla made that requirement for the Beta testers, actually, rather than a hand-affirmation).

Yes, sorry - should've clarified my statement. This feature reminds me of the early implementation of Navigate on Autopilot. The car signals how it perceives the space around it (the adjacent lane is free for a lange change / the traffic light is a certain color). The user then has to provide feedback to confirm whether this perception was indeed accurate. This, I believe, should provide Tesla with the correct label for each interaction with the new update. But yes, in theory, all that could also be labeled in shadow mode. However, from what I've read from @verygreen shadow mode's data gathering capabilities might be not as vast as the rollout of such an update.

Nevertheless, excited to see the progress!