Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla, TSLA & the Investment World: the Perpetual Investors' Roundtable

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
What I understood from a pretty convincing interview I saw with a professional trader was that in his experience that was not market manipulation, but a case of a bunch of limit sell orders being triggered at a popular target price (950-ish), which then caused a serious drop in SP, which then triggered cascading stop-loss sell orders.. The speed of the initial drop was according to him not something any MM could achieve all by themselves..

Such collective automated triggering can happen again of course.. so my remark was not in any way meant to be reassuring.. o_O

Not the way I remember it happening, I was on my computer with my mouse hovering to sell about $80k in weekly options that very quickly turned to $40k. I had a limit order in, when the price dropped from 968 to 962 I went to change it to market and it just fell. I have no doubt this was manipulated.

I just came across this Joe Rogan clip with a (ex-)SpaceX employee who worked closely with Elon. He makes a couple of interesting comments about the way Elon works. So all the Elon fanboys out there should check it out.

I like that Rogan ask him if Elon talks to him about simulation theory and stuff. He’s just like “no Elon will talk to an expert in that field...he doesn’t care what you think outside your expertise” haha

Refer to TMC Home Page articles for possible size reduction of Cybrtruk. Genius move. My biggest beef with the Cybrtruk was that it was too big. If true, and the vehicle is reduced, it will fit into a lot more garages, appeal to far more people, and already high demand will go through the triangular roof. I did not reserve a Cybrtruk....yet, however personally this change is making it more compelling. IMHO it looks better proportioned, better curb appeal based on images shown (like the flat back and true horizontal centre line). Expect more reservations.

Top - New Design
Screen Shot 2020-04-18 at 7.39.41 AM.png

Bottom - Original Design

Refer to TMC Home Page articles for possible size reduction of Cybrtruk. Genius move. My biggest beef with the Cybrtruk was that it was too big. If true, and the vehicle is reduced, it will fit into a lot more garages, appeal to far more people, and already high demand will go through the triangular roof. I did not reserve a Cybrtruk....yet, however personally this change is making it more compelling. IMHO it looks better proportioned, better curb appeal based on images shown (like the flat back and true horizontal centre line). Expect more reservations.

Top - New Design
View attachment 533558
Bottom - Original Design

Agree. I have a CT on order and while it would fit in the garage it wouldn't be by much. Making it slightly smaller is a good move.

Agree. I have a CT on order and while it would fit in the garage it wouldn't be by much. Making it slightly smaller is a good move.

We have a HUGE garage, but I was concerned about just driving. Just parking. Backing up.

The new size is welcome by me.

Also, anecdotal, dad has now said, “if you don’t want that cybertruck I’ll take it”, and he’s a Trump supporter until recently.

I do hope Missouri lands the manufacturing. Skill sets and infrastructure are here as I said loooong ago. We’ve had too many plant closures.

Attached anecdote.

Attachments

• CB33D409-E27C-421B-BCE8-CFC5A92C523C.png
    CB33D409-E27C-421B-BCE8-CFC5A92C523C.png
    501.9 KB · Views: 61
Last edited:

Top - New Design
View attachment 533558
Bottom - Original Design

The Model X has always been my favorite car, but this Cybertruck is really trying its hardest to win me over.

Then again, I don't have a driver's license, so it's not like I'm gonna actually buy one any time soon.

Unless... self-driving is here soon, Tesla expands to SEA, and most importantly TSLA stops being so damn attractive.

I have ~5% left in cash. Maybe it's time to buy ARKG even though I'm clueless about the industry itself and the companies involved.

Most investment advisors/fund managers are useless barnacles who charge management fees to underperform simple index funds. (Chanos and Spiegel fall in this camp)

Cathy/ARK on the other hand is one of the few people who routinely beats the market:
LE32U23.png

She's a smart lady

We have a HUGE garage, but I was concerned about just driving. Just parking. Backing up.

The new size is welcome by me.

Also, anecdotal, dad has now said, “if you don’t want that cybertruck I’ll take it”, and he’s a Trump supporter until recently.

I do hope Missouri lands the manufacturing. Skill sets and infrastructure are here as I said loooong ago. We’ve had too many plant closures.

Attached anecdote.

Cybertruck is going to be the "it" car of the 2020s.

I keep seeing people say "the used ICE market is crashing and rental car companies are likely to go out of business" but i can't find any of these stupidly cheap used cars. My wife wants and ICE, we are currently a one car - 2019 model 3 - household. But I've wanted her to get a car for quite some time.

Part of me wants evidence of these cheap cars as an investor.

But the other part of me actually wants to buy one.

Anyone know where these cheap used cars are?
Last time I looked I bought a new ice. There were 2 year old used cars with identical features costing more then new. 20% off msrp helped.

I've been confined to the house, initially because it's hard for me to walk, but now due to age and Covid-19. My much younger wife goes out every two weeks to forage for food and Depends for me so we survive. Just added 80 more shares of ARKG with monthly savings from not eating out plus $1,000 a month I plan for a local food locker. I don't know anything about the ARKG holdings but the prospectus seems solid. Not an advice.
@Intl Professor
OT ramble weekend
Spouse started working in molecular genetics ~46 years ago. (PhD in 95 from GWU)
First there was the promise, a leading indicator.
Molecular biology has had ~1/2 century to learn stuff
She sequenced 46,000 base pairs, A G C T by hand, using X-ray film, a ruler, a pen and pad
In both directions glucose-6-cerebrocidase from Gauchers syndrome
Which dot of 4?
Ok, that’s either A, G, C, T
Slide ruler down X-ray film, next line, repeat
Took years
Now a box can do that in less than a day or so,
Now, They can read out the sequence, and they can __write__ the sequence!!
I’m not just impressed, I’m somewhat stunned, sigh,

Last edited:
My personal opinion after checking Twitter again:

Model Y is going to be a home run.

Demand would far exceed Tesla’s production capacity, even if we got hit by a bad recession.

On third row podcast Elon kind of hinted it’s cheaper to make than Model 3.

The car has been out a month, TSLAQ has been trying really hard to pick bones out of that “ugly egg”, but all what they can say is about ventilators.

Now I feel I didn’t buy enough of the dip.

Not advice.

I keep seeing people say "the used ICE market is crashing and rental car companies are likely to go out of business" but i can't find any of these stupidly cheap used cars. My wife wants and ICE, we are currently a one car - 2019 model 3 - household. But I've wanted her to get a car for quite some time.

Part of me wants evidence of these cheap cars as an investor.

But the other part of me actually wants to buy one.

Anyone know where these cheap used cars are?

I have a brother in law who works for Cox Enterprises which is a private company. It is through that relationship and also being from metro Atlanta, I kinda pay attention to news concerning them.

I find it very interesting that they basically own the wholesale used car processing business. But does the average consumer know that? Here is a Wikipedia post for Cox Automotive.

Cox Automotive[edit]

Cox Automotive is a provider of vehicle remarketing services and digital marketing and software for automotive dealers and consumers.[12] Cox Automotive brands include Manheim, Clutch Technologies, Dealer-Auction Ltd, AutoTrader, Kelley Blue Book, vAuto, Dealer.com, Dealertrack, NextGear Capital, Xtime, Vinsolutions and a host of global businesses and brands serving auto dealers, manufacturers and financial institutions.[7]

I don’t see lower used car prices hurting them as they are just the middleman. But it does make me wonder with owning so much of the entire process, what is being manipulated.