Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla, TSLA & the Investment World: the Perpetual Investors' Roundtable

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I was just surfing the Tesla website to see if they had changed the pages since I last went through them and noticed the buttons on the driver side door. They haven't always been there right? I'm not an S or X owner, but I do keep up with everything....am I losing my mind? Did the early versions have these or did they add them over time?

hero%402_3.jpg

hero%402_1.jpg

nah, they've always been there.

Look... Tesla DOES advertise. Just not in the traditional sense.

Don’t you think other companies would LOVE to have free word of mouth, countless YouTube videos made by fans, 33 million followers on Twitter (albeit not all friendly) and a car orbiting the sun for Pete’s sake? Of course they would. It’s only because the other companies do not have this, that they need to pay through the nose for it.

Musk's roadster in space was pure F'ING genius. All my co-workers were talking about that.

NO amount of advertising dollars could've one upped that!

I was just surfing the Tesla website to see if they had changed the pages since I last went through them and noticed the buttons on the driver side door. They haven't always been there right? I'm not an S or X owner, but I do keep up with everything....am I losing my mind? Did the early versions have these or did they add them over time?

hero%402_3.jpg

hero%402_1.jpg

You're losing your mind.

(sorry.....but you did ask. :))

The media is becoming less and less relevant, so it doesn't really matter if it's emotional decision-making or not. If you can sell all you can produce and have waiting lists, all advertising does is drain money that could be better spent elsewhere. Anyway, it's not as if Tesla doesn't have advertising in the form of a robust Supercharger network, and owners that promote Tesla--and even a few billboards.

To me it is clear as day. Advertising will make Tesla money. The purpose of advertising is not just to move metal. The purpose of advertising is to guide people into buying more expensive metal. The right advertising, done for maybe 10 million, will move more expensive versions of the cars such as the P versions. The ones Tesla makes huge margins on. Ads would possibly be targeted against the buyers of the most expensive Lexus and Mercedes. And they need a very low take rate to work. Advertising has a bell curve. The first bit of targeted advertising has a HUGE payback. As you throw more money into it, you get less out of it. GM/Ford are throwing that last bit that probably only gives a 10% return. I don't advocate for that. I advocate for just the part of the curve where the payback is LUDICROUS.

i wasn't advocating for emotionless posting, i was advocating for emotionless decision-making.

From a purely rational perspective, your belief that more advertising than Elon has elected to do would position Tesla in a stronger position implies one of two things:

1) that Elon wants Tesla to fail or;
2) that you know more about what's good for Tesla than Elon does.

Rationally, I think we can eliminate possibility #1. That leaves #2.

While it's a good thing that you have avoided becoming emotional about this topic, with the sole exception of accusing others of the same (without providing any evidence), your position does appear to be more than a little arrogant because it assumes the company would perform better if Elon allowed you to decide what portion of their annual budget was spent on advertising instead of the man who has spent most of his adult life carefully culturing the brand that is known as "Tesla".

I will admit that I don't fully understand how Elon's promotional style has managed to effectively reach the youngest members of our society. For example, when my wife and I exit our rather plain-looking white Model 3 in public, it is most often the children who get excited and this is not a new phenomenon so I can only imagine it is about to pay huge dividends as many of these kids have grown up and are now coming of car-buying age. You see, Elon knew his plan would take decades to grow and prosper and he was already thinking of brand recognition and how he could most effectively capture the hearts and minds of his intended customers before you were even aware of who Tesla was.

And that is my 100% non-emotional take on your belief that appears to defy logic.

Last edited:
Possibly meaningful for TSLA.

Michael Moore just released a movie called "Planet of the Humans" on YouTube. It seems there's some negative bits in there about TSLA. I currently have it on now.

I'm normally a gigantic fan of Moore. As we well know, our hers always F up form time to time. lol

This seems more like a movie he produced instead of directly made. He's not narrating it and it's a bit "low rent".

Michael Moore's 'Planet of the Humans' asks: what if green energy cannot save the planet?

For those interested..

From a purely rational perspective, your belief that more advertising than Elon has elected to do would position Tesla in a stronger position implies one of two things:

1) that Elon wants Tesla to fail or;
2) that you know more about what's good for Tesla than Elon does.

Rationally, I think we can eliminate possibility #1. That leaves #2.

While it's a good thing that you have avoided becoming emotional about this topic, with the sole exception of accusing others of the same (without providing any evidence), your position does appear to be more than a little arrogant because it assumes the company would perform better if Elon allowed you to decide what portion of their annual budget was spent on advertising instead of the man who has spent most of his adult life carefully culturing the brand that is known as "Tesla".

I will admit that I don't fully understand how Elon's promotional style has managed to effectively reach the youngest members of our society. For example, when my wife and I exit our rather plain-looking white Model 3 in public, it is most often the children who get excited and this is not a new phenomenon so I can only imagine it is about to pay huge dividends as many of these kids have grown up and are now coming of car-buying age. You see, Elon knew his plan would take decades to grow and prosper and he was already thinking of brand recognition and he could most effectively capture the hearts and minds of his intended customers before you were even aware of who Tesla was.

And that is my 100% non-emotional take on your belief that appears to defy logic.

your argument boils down to "if elon's not doing it, then it must not be good to do". it's absurd and comically myopic to assume Elon's actions are inherently perfect.

Speaking of advertising, I think the next crewed launch will do a tiny bit amount of good press for Elon Musk and Tesla by association which I much prefer

Don't underestimate the power of being the first private company in the history of mankind to transport astronauts to the International Space Station. If done successfully, this will put Elon a very tall pedestal in the eyes of most people. Failure (death) will bring a lot of negative publicity but remember the old saying, "Any publicity is good publicity".

Possibly meaningful for TSLA.

Michael Moore just released a movie called "Planet of the Humans" on YouTube. It seems there's some negative bits in there about TSLA. I currently have it on now.

I'm normally a gigantic fan of Moore. As we well know, our hers always F up form time to time. lol

This seems more like a movie he produced instead of directly made. He's not narrating it and it's a bit "low rent".

Michael Moore's 'Planet of the Humans' asks: what if green energy cannot save the planet?

For those interested..

Im not going to bother watching. What is negative about TSLA?

• Funny
Reactions: ev-enthusiast
Big drop to 718. Any news?
Hoo cares. I just want to talk about why Tesla doesn't spend a bunch of $$$ on a bunch of F$g advertising that wont do a damn thing. The cars sell themselves and they sell every one they make. Will continue to do so for years. Enough already. Geezus.

Sorry Ludicrous One.