Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla, TSLA & the Investment World: the Perpetual Investors' Roundtable

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Nissan North American HQ is in Nashville and they’ve been very public today about planning a mid-May restart of production. This matches up with a May 18 restart date that was apparently negotiated by the UAW with their automakers. May 18 would represent 8 weeks for Fremont. That capital raise was well-timed with what appears to be the right amount of liquidity.

• Helpful
Reactions: Artful Dodger
I am not a tax accountant (just a run of the mill CPA) but here is my understanding on how stock based compensation is taxed in the US:
For restricted stock grants (when you are given actual stock) - Taxable when vested
For stock options (when you are given an option to buy stock) - Taxable when exercised (not when vested).

The CEO award is Stock Options with an exercise price of $350.02/share.
My understanding is that Elon would not have to pay taxes now when they vest....only when he exercises these options.

Elon has until January 20, 2028 to exercise any portion of the CEO Performance Award that has vested.

There is some optionality/other consideration re: your RSU and stock options understanding - (1) RSUs - you can elect 83(b) to recognize the FMV over exercise price as ordinary income immediately upon transfer (this potentially offers more capital gains treatment) vs. the general rule of when the RSUs being taxable when transferable and there is no substantial risk of forfeiture (i.e. vested); and, (2) stock options - if they are Incentive Stock Options ("ISOs"), which these are likely not given it's executive comp and thus presumably exceeds the $100,000 ISO treatment limitation by miles, the options are not subject to ordinary income treatment at all rather a Form 3921 is filed to the IRS upon exercise to provide exercise price which will be used as a stock basis proxy for capital gains treatment (plus other costs capitalizable to cost basis).

First Girl right?

As recently as February, they weren't saying the gender to allow the child to decide for themselves.

Edit: Not sure if the funny ratings are for them or me, but in case people think I'm joking:
On Friday, while discussing her pregnancy during a YouTube livestream, the singer told one fan who asked whether she was having a boy or a girl that she won’t say their gender because “their privacy should be protected”.

“I don’t want to say the gender of the baby… because I feel like their privacy should be protected,” Grimes said, according to People. “I don’t think they can consent to being famous or being in public.

The 31-year-old also said that she doesn’t want to “gender them” in case that is not how the child identifies.

“And I don’t want to gender them in case that’s not how they feel in their life. I don’t know, I just feel like it doesn’t need to be known.”
Grimes explains why she hasn't shared the sex of her unborn child

Last edited:
Bottom line I do not worry about the taxes if I get my trade-in right.

Well, you don't know if you got your "trade-in right" until well after the fact, right?

So, it's kind of like saying, "As a beginning skydiver, I don't worry about my 50-year-old parachute gifted to me from my grandpa as long as the chute doesn't rip or tear after I pull the ripcord."

The difference is YOU. Do YOU want to support a system that incentivizes lying? If everybody is lying is that fine with YOU?

There are powerful interests that want to make lying just like privacy. Just give up, just surrender, just get over it. Everybody is doing it. It is a childish, weak defense of a pretty high moral failing at the heart of Silicon Valley.

Nobody is perfect. But we get the world we support.

YOU have a right to expect accuracy and truth. When you give up your attention to sites that are happy to give up aspirations to a decent moral standard and to a system that does not incentivize accuracy and truth and DOES incentivize lying and deceit then we all slip a little bit toward decay.

There is nothing personal in this, this is just a response to the "everybody is doing it" quibble.

Some EV site are striving and some are not. Some I don't go near any more YMMV.

Based on success in the fine art of balancing public priorities in California since March 24, I'd be disinclined to offer up $160M in State income taxes (12.4% of $1.3B) as things stand. Literally their loss. o_O

How do you figure it's the State's loss? The taxes are going to get paid regardless of who owns the houses. In fact, if the homes have appreciated since Elon bought them, the State will probably get more taxes than if he held them. Elon is doing this for himself, not to punish CA or the County.

• Funny
Reactions: hacer
hmm up more than 4%. Because Elon is distracted this morning?
Macros have flipped to GREEN.

NASDAQ-100.chart.2020-05-04.10-05.png

TSLA @ $742.52 +41.2 +5.87% (10:07:42 AM)

Nissan North American HQ is in Nashville and they’ve been very public today about planning a mid-May restart of production. This matches up with a May 18 restart date that was apparently negotiated by the UAW with their automakers. May 18 would represent 8 weeks for Fremont. That capital raise was well-timed with what appears to be the right amount of liquidity.

???? Has there been any indication from Alameda county that they will allow Fremont to reopen in mid May? I think 12-14 weeks is more realistic.

How do you figure it's the State's loss? The taxes are going to get paid regardless of who owns the houses. In fact, if the homes have appreciated since Elon bought them, the State will probably get more taxes than if he held them. Elon is doing this for himself, not to punish CA or the County.

They are talking about the taxes on his compensation plan, not the sale of his house(s).