Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla, TSLA & the Investment World: the Perpetual Investors' Roundtable

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I would love to take one of your Minis, Peugeots,Vauxhall, etc down one of our Texas back roads.

Warning: OT

25 years ago I had a Subaru station wagon, bone stock, all-season radials. It looked new with no scratches or dents. It looked just like this (except in newer condition):
green91Loyale2.jpg

One spring day my wife and I were returning home from a weekend trip to Eastern Washington in it. I had been studying the DeLorme Atlas for interesting backroads to take home. There was the lowest class of road that climbed up a huge ridge and traveled along the top of it for about 15 miles before descending out of the mountains again. My wife is always up for a car adventure (we had done a lot of off-roading together in a Nissan Patrol) and so when I suggested we take the "scenic" route she was game. I told her we would probably have to turn back due to heavy rains that spring and a lack of ground clearance on the bone stock station wagon and it would add hours to our trip even if we made it but that didn't phase her.

I carefully picked my way around the edges of huge flooded mud bogs, crabbing to stay out of the deeper stuff, and squeezing by the trees lining the route. Fortunately, the little turbo-charged 4-cylinder automatic wagon was equipped with AWD because the route became steeper and was still slippery from a long winter. As the road climbed in altitude it became more rugged and rocky. I carefully picked my way around the washouts and rocks, being careful not to become high-centered or slide off the rain-soaked embankments. As we climbed higher we broke out of the trees into brilliant sunshine and continued to make our way up the rocky ridge with beautiful views to either side. At the top, we came to a large open area in which there were about 10 or 12 off-road rigs, all short wheelbase CJ5's and Toyota Landcruisers, most of them beat up, all jacked up with monster tires, mud flares around the wheel wells and winches on the front. They had 5-gallon jerry cans mounted to the exterior, off-road lights on light bars, etc. We learned it was the local off-road club and this was one or their regular outings.

They were all looking at us in our shiny, newer, bare-bones stock station wagon, jaws hanging, as if we were aliens from another planet. As I pulled up I said "how are you guys doing" or something like that. He wanted to know what route we had taken to get there, jaw still hanging. I told him the main road, the only one that shows on our map. Another guy said, "yeah, that's the only way up here, except for the way they're headed". He just shook his head and voiced surprise that I was able to make it "in that thing". I think their egos were deflated a bit knowing they had spent thousands of hard-earned dollars on lift-kits, locking differentials, huge off-road tires, etc. They were probably telling war stories about their close encounters and how their locking differential or extra ground clearance really saved them on that extra-steep section coming up the ridge when we arrived.

I can only guess where our bone-stock Cybertruck will take us! :D

Vehicle advertising for decades has been directed toward associating vehicles owned with lifestyle/status. Your "Chelsea Tractor" is a perfect example. People buy for image, not practicality. Who the f*** actually needs a performance model Tesla? Stupid waste of money, standard models are already way more fleet than needed.

Not poking at you @wtlloyd, just using your comment to add on.

One of the brilliant things about Elon and Tesla (IMHO) is that instead of investing time in trying to tell or persuade people of what they should want, or what is adequate for their needs, he meets people where they're at and supplies products that they want.

You want a big pickup truck - here comes Cybertruck. Whether other people think you need it or not, whether it's use is ~99% on paved roads, too and from an office building, here comes an option for you.

You want a big luxury SUV / crossover - here's Model X. Whether you ever put 3+ people in it at a time (our Model X is mostly single person - me - and is sometimes me with 1 or 2 cats, and rarely 2 people), and whether you ever use it to carry kids around (we don't).

You want ridiculous performance - we've got variations on that (for a price!) on every model we sell, whether anybody actually needs that ridiculous performance or not.

The cool thing about driving electric is that me and my Model X is still more efficient at converting energy into motion than approximately every other vehicle I see on the road. You need many people in a gas burning vehicle and/or a different Tesla to be more efficient (89 mpge, there are a few exceptions in other electric vehicles).

It's a lot easier to provide people options that meet their needs as they define them, than it is to tell / persuade people to change what they think that they need.

It's unbelievable a long is attacking another long like this.

Is there a hard eligibility rule to be qualified as a tsla long here? like anything less than 90% of your net worth is invested in tsla is not a long?
To me it’s a trader not a long. A long believes in the company and holds the stock with a longterm view. A trader is just there for short term gains.

Reactions: JRP3
It’s funny so many people are disparaging of TT007. If you follow his posts, it’s likely he’s made several million dollars this year in short term gains by betting big. Statistically speaking, that’s higher than the vast majority of people on this site. Some of these guys make fun of him and talk big but it doesn’t carry much weight because they hold like 42 shares and have never taken a big risk in their lives. Super hypocritical of most people. All that matters in the end is the $ or shares in your account. As someone else would say, Everything else is just conversation.

If I may, I have no problems with TT007 or anybody sharing their opinion. The problem is thinking one poster is more or less credible because of their supposed account value (ps this is the internet, WSBgod was fake, I'm sure many more are fake millionaires) Not to say he isn't well off, I'm certain he is if he's a doctor, but he doesn't need to buy stocks to be a millionaire doctor and we really don't know if his stocks have helped or hindered his wealth. I made a few bad trades trying to copy people ie TT007's and Option_sniper etc years ago, and you know what, that's entirely my fault. Indeed they only have good intentions in sharing what they think and may be really good traders, but it's up to you to decipher it and judge if its worth acting upon - they aren't going to share every detail with you and maybe they can afford to make riskier plays than you'd want to etc.

I took trading more into my own hands and have done much much better and am accountable for every trade I make. I could tell you all I have tens of millions and you should only listen to me but that would be dishonest (or to want that kind of attention?? hello, come hack my bank account anyone?) I've learned to be very cautious on any outlandish calls, in either direction. As much as I would love ARK's golden goose scenario, and am poised to benefit if it comes to fruition, in no way am I relying on those price targets. Likewise, in my opinion one of Tesla's most exciting years as they reach and maintain profitability going forward, all the "competition" is in very dire shape; along with exciting battery news and Autonomy on the horizon, more recently great earnings, analyst upgrades, battery day incoming, I just can't see a plunge to the 300's or 180. The bearish concerns in my mind are when does Fremont reopen and will the suppliers go bankrupt. These should be alleviated within a week or so when they reopen or at the least should have a new date they can plan for.

I leveraged up at 776 last week for battery day and giga texas announcement and am sticking to that. I missed the true bottom big deal, anybody claiming they saw those tweets/plunge coming is straight up lying, Take care of yourself out there, we're all for the most part trying to be helpful :)

The definition of long and short is basic. And you said you also want to learn. This is why I won't elaborate what you can learn.
With the deterioration of the quality of your recent posts, I see no reason to justify your attack on 007's posts.

Apparently not. When he posts he’s long that means bullish. I must make the assumption then that super long means super bullish.

Time holding TSLA apparently has nothing to do with it. Who knew? Right!?

Warning: OT

25 years ago I had a Subaru station wagon, bone stock, all-season radials. It looked new with no scratches or dents. It looked just like this (except in newer condition):
green91Loyale2.jpg

One spring day my wife and I were returning home from a weekend trip to Eastern Washington in it. I had been studying the DeLorme Atlas for interesting backroads to take home. There was the lowest class of road that climbed up a huge ridge and traveled along the top of it for about 15 miles before descending out of the mountains again. My wife is always up for a car adventure (we had done a lot of off-roading together in a Nissan Patrol) and so when I suggested we take the "scenic" route she was game. I told her we would probably have to turn back due to heavy rains that spring and a lack of ground clearance on the bone stock station wagon and it would add hours to our trip even if we made it but that didn't phase her.

I carefully picked my way around the edges of huge flooded mud bogs, crabbing to stay out of the deeper stuff, and squeezing by the trees lining the route. Fortunately, the little turbo-charged 4-cylinder automatic wagon was equipped with AWD because the route became steeper and was still slippery from a long winter. As the road climbed in altitude it became more rugged and rocky. I carefully picked my way around the washouts and rocks, being careful not to become high-centered or slide off the rain-soaked embankments. As we climbed higher we broke out of the trees into brilliant sunshine and continued to make our way up the rocky ridge with beautiful views to either side. At the top, we came to a large open area in which there were about 10 or 12 off-road rigs, all short wheelbase CJ5's and Toyota Landcruisers, most of them beat up, all jacked up with monster tires, mud flares around the wheel wells and winches on the front. They had 5-gallon jerry cans mounted to the exterior, off-road lights on light bars, etc. We learned it was the local off-road club and this was one or their regular outings.

They were all looking at us in our shiny, newer, bare-bones stock station wagon, jaws hanging, as if we were aliens from another planet. As I pulled up I said "how are you guys doing" or something like that. He wanted to know what route we had taken to get there, jaw still hanging. I told him the main road, the only one that shows on our map. Another guy said, "yeah, that's the only way up here, except for the way they're headed". He just shook his head and voiced surprise that I was able to make it "in that thing". I think their egos were deflated a bit knowing they had spent thousands of hard-earned dollars on lift-kits, locking differentials, huge off-road tires, etc. They were probably telling war stories about their close encounters and how their locking differential or extra ground clearance really saved them on that extra-steep section coming up the ridge when we arrived.

I can only guess where our bone-stock Cybertruck will take us! :D

goes to show how much skill can compensate for the tools at hand

• Funny
Reactions: Krugerrand
Don't take it personally. Most people don't mean to offend and either do so in sarcasm and just kidding around, and others just without any negative intent. I don't think this was meant to be offensive, just a jesting "Yankee" boast. And it should have been about 240 years now, so who's the idiot :) --> just kidding!.

Cliffski is a great poster and I hope he doesn't leave. I was just trying to point out that telling people what they ought not be driving and defining their vehicular needs from an ocean away is the opposite of "humble". It's kinda presumptuous.

If I may, I have no problems with TT007 or anybody sharing their opinion. The problem is thinking one poster is more or less credible because of their supposed account value (ps this is the internet, WSBgod was fake, I'm sure many more are fake millionaires) Not to say he isn't well off, I'm certain he is if he's a doctor, but he doesn't need to buy stocks to be a millionaire doctor and we really don't know if his stocks have helped or hindered his wealth. I made a few bad trades trying to copy people ie TT007's and Option_sniper etc years ago, and you know what, that's entirely my fault. Indeed they only have good intentions in sharing what they think and may be really good traders, but it's up to you to decipher it and judge if its worth acting upon - they aren't going to share every detail with you and maybe they can afford to make riskier plays than you'd want to etc.

I took trading more into my own hands and have done much much better and am accountable for every trade I make. I could tell you all I have tens of millions and you should only listen to me but that would be dishonest (or to want that kind of attention?? hello, come hack my bank account anyone?) I've learned to be very cautious on any outlandish calls, in either direction. As much as I would love ARK's golden goose scenario, and am poised to benefit if it comes to fruition, in no way am I relying on those price targets. Likewise, in my opinion one of Tesla's most exciting years as they reach and maintain profitability going forward, all the "competition" is in very dire shape; along with exciting battery news and Autonomy on the horizon, more recently great earnings, analyst upgrades, battery day incoming, I just can't see a plunge to the 300's or 180. The bearish concerns in my mind are when does Fremont reopen and will the suppliers go bankrupt. These should be alleviated within a week or so when they reopen or at the least should have a new date they can plan for.

I leveraged up at 776 last week for battery day and giga texas announcement and am sticking to that. I missed the true bottom big deal, anybody claiming they saw those tweets/plunge coming is straight up lying, Take care of yourself out there, we're all for the most part trying to be helpful :)

Ya, figuring out if someone is real with their claimed wealth is a pretty long in real life process. 99% of the stuff online is fake/embellished once ppl figured out they can make money off of internet ppl.

Reactions: Ameliorate
Ok whatever, why the hell is everyone so flipping aggressive here these days. I'll just stop posting. enjoy your arguments guys, i'm off.

Why is everyone so sensitive these days? Come on. It was funny. Don’t take yourself so seriously. I love a British accent and other than Canada and Australia you’re the only ones who speak the proper Queen’s English.

BTW, my grandmother was the spitting image of the Queen Mother. Truth.

It’s funny so many people are disparaging of TT007. If you follow his posts, it’s likely he’s made several million dollars this year in short term gains by betting big. Statistically speaking, that’s higher than the vast majority of people on this site. Some of these guys make fun of him and talk big but it doesn’t carry much weight because they hold like 42 shares and have never taken a big risk in their lives. Super hypocritical of most people. All that matters in the end is the $ or shares in your account. As someone else would say, Everything else is just conversation.

Well I know that shoe doesn’t fit me. I’m holding 63 shares! So, yeah!

He also lost all his money not too long ago betting big and taking those big risks you seem to be applauding and then stomped off the Internet to commiserate.

I’ve been pretty clear what the issue was from my end;

Friday SELL! SELL! TSLA losing 50%+ value!!

Monday BUY! BUY! TSLA gaining 50%+ value!!

You can’t see a problem with that?! Ok.

Also super hypocritical that Curt Renz changes his mind on the stock twice weekly and yet people Pretend he has a clue. Why is that, because he’s had this person or that person on his show? Hilarious

Curt cashed out because he’s of retirement age and the volatility was too high for this stage of his life. Up until then he’d held his shares since 2013.

And FYI, I called him a trader for getting back in shortly afterwards and then selling again quickly. As is usual, totally kidding, not kidding.

If you’re going to be critical at least come to the table with the facts.