Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla, TSLA & the Investment World: the Perpetual Investors' Roundtable

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Tesla runs buses over to the central valley every day. The cost of living is much less there.

The bill of rights limits what the government can do not private organizations. If you work for a company and you don't like some aspect, you can quite.

Now just why are you here on an investor section of a forum? Are you an investor?
I hold common so last I checked, I fit the description of an investor. Does holding shares preclude someone from voicing concerns about a company's image? I used to be a Tesla advocate but now I'm just an investor. Loyalty and care are musts in my book. My relationship with Tesla remains purely financial until I get more clarity on these qualities from Tesla. This is coming from someone who would proudly call himself an Elon Musk's fanboy only a couple weeks ago.

Below is a screenshot from Fox news form today (I am a liberal, but it is always good to see both sides of the story).

OK, I realize these are most likely not correlated - a surprise win for the Republicans in the Democratic bastion California and Tesla being abused by Democrats in California.

BUT, it actually might have been an influence in the election, with Californians being pissed off at their government for kicking out Tesla out of the state.

But even if kicking out Tesla did not cause Democrats to lose the election, I am pretty sure the Democratic leaders (Pelosi et al) are very very worried that it might have been an important factor - and the presidential elections are only a few months away.

Which means that they will be much more careful and considerate with dealing with Elon now :)

At this point Elon has the best of both worlds - Republicans are very very happy with him, Tesla became overnight an all American brand even in the Bible belt, and Democrats are/will do everything to make Elon happy :)

View attachment 541366
Pelosi was pretty clear about supporting the reopening of Tesla.

Saint John Energy on Twitter

Tesla delivers MegaPack to Canadian Utility company. Looks big and happy to see that logistics are working at Tesla
Nice, but that's a Powerpack. Megapack is built and delivered in a shipping container format.

P.S. spend many an enjoyable evening at the '1880s Club' in downtown Saint John, NB. Night club/Bar built as a conversion of an old bank building. Wish more banks were that useful. ;)

Last edited:
To anyone that wants advertising: This is advertising

View attachment 541430

For those who don't follow space: Jim Bridenstine is the NASA Administrator.

Considering that this is going to be the first crewed launch from US soil in 9 years, the public interest should be incredibly high. This Model X will be plastered all over the news:D.
To give some perspective, the Falcon Heavy test launch had over 2 million live viewers on Youtube, and now has 24 million views in total. In addition, the launch made the evening news internationally, including Germany, which usually really does not care about american spaceflight. Considering that this is going to be a historic crew launch, the interest may well be even higher.
This is going to be fantastic advertising for Tesla.:cool:

Last edited:
Imho, not the post i was replying to.

Well, I happen to agree with the perspectives in the post you were replying to. Basically, when Tesla (or any company) for that matter hires you there is an implicit agreement involved. But it does not include the company promising to never re-locate. That is not part of the contract, either stated or implied.

Because if a company fails, there are all of a sudden zero jobs. When a company relocates, employees at least have the option of relocating. Remember, Tesla has to compete with cars made in Mexico, Spain, China, Japan, etc. If the economics of California become too burdensome to effectively compete with cars made in other locals, Tesla has no choice but to relocate. California is doing this to themselves. It's like they can see it happening but they don't really care. I hope they fix it but, if they don't, it will lead to some rude awakenings. And maybe more quickly than they imagine. Tesla is not as captive to the State of CA as its considerable investment in the State would appear to indicate. I'm all for them staying in CA, but only to the extent that it doesn't become a net negative.

Nice, but that's a Powerpack. The Megapack is shipped in a 40' container.

P.S. spend many an enjoyable evening at the '1880s Club' in downtown Saint John, NB. Nightclub/Bar built as a conversion of an old bank building. Wish more banks were that useful. ;)

This is incorrect, this is indeed a megapack. Compare the image in the twitter post with Teslas website, especially the top vent
EMQWghAX0AATfHp.jpg
EMQWgg_XUAAloNI.jpg
All-in-OneSystem-Closed_2880x1600.jpg

Contrast this with a powerpack, which is about the size of a server cabinet:
Powerpack-system-product-image.png

From this Twitter post it became clear to me just how compact the megapack is; truly very impressive from an energy density perspective. Compare this with GEs containerized storage, which is a 4MWh system that fills a 20' container, compared to the megapack, which is a 3MWh system in approximately half the volume.

Last edited:
Another real big surprise this morning. (NOT)

Remember how I had completely randomly figured out that no PUTs were being sold yesterday because THEY were planning (knew) there would be a big price push down today and it would be MUCH more profitable to sell those PUTs today? Well......

View attachment 541316
It should not be legal to look at this stuff and figure out exactly what some group is planning. Expect the SEC to pass a rule that investors are not allowed to point out obvious manipulation.
ROTFLMAO
Does anyone here have book recommendations so I could learn about options? All this options talk is foreign to me, and now that I have some free time coming up I'd like to learn about options trading, as well as how market makers influence/manipulate stock prices.

Thanks.

Reactions: CHGolferJim
Whatever, take the holier-than-though attitude elsewhere.

I run my own company, with employees in 6 states. CA is by far the the worst to deal with of all of them. I have employees in CA only because I have to, and I keep the head count in that state at a minimum. I'm surprised, as a businessman, that Elon even setup shop for manufacturing in CA. I would have thought he would have kept design/programming in CA and then put manufacturing somewhere more friendly.

There is a reason, a good one, that CA has been bleeding manufacturing jobs to other states, and the current issues with Alameda county are a prime example of that.

EDIT - I feel for the employees, but that's not reason enough to make bad business decisions. And there is a strong argument that staying in CA is a bad business decision.
As I've stated before, it makes economic sense to move production out of Calif. I think the idea of Tesla winding down Fremont is not fresh. I'm sure Shanghai opened their eyes to how much better building cars can be anywhere but CA. I don't think the state really wants much manufacturing of the type that other states allow with little oversight. So, it makes economic sense to move where you can operate more cheaply.

Semiconductors, aircraft, defense electronics, woosh, outtahere.
It's funny that this flight of manufacturing from CA has been going on since the 70's and economy is still strong, house prices ridiculous and freeways jammed.
It's an interesting tension for the company though. Despite all the wind power, Texas has the worst greenhouse emissions of any state and that doesn't take into account all the leaking methane (they don't allow site monitoring). I doubt greenhouse gas emissions are decreasing in Texas. California's per capita CO2 is among the lowest in the country. Although total is still high, the state is committed to lowering CO2. This doesn't just happen, there's been energy efficiency rules for decades in CA. Musk used to support a carbon tax. I'm unsure how popular that would be in Texas.

It's a nice fantasy that my future Teslas will continue to be made in my state but what I want most is 10 million new ICE cars displaced per year by clean EVs in this country. We need that ASAP and if Texas Teslas are the quickest way for that to happen then so be it. I'll buy one from Texas. I'll even go to Texas to pick it up so the auto dealers can see how it's done.
Austin has the third best Mexican food anywhere (c'mon you know New Mexico is #1).

Tesla should release the "NASA Astronaut" themed Model X. NASA can always use the money so they get $1000 of the extra $10,000 package cost for the special graphics and other space-themed details.
I'm not sure what Elon's fascination with the NASA Worm is (on Demo-2 Falcon 9 fuselage and rear window of the Crew Model X):
D40E2C21-281D-418D-B969-F0B6E7D0BC2B.jpeg
That ugly thing was retired years ago. The only remaining one is the one carved in granite in the side of NASA HQ. It was universally loathed by NASA employees (although praised by ad designers). The iconic NASA Meatball was reinstated somewhere around 1990:
7B6AFFC8-D128-4312-AA92-32B1DCA5490B_4_5005_c.jpeg

Last edited:
I don't play options. I get leverage over time by accumulating shares. IMO options just enrich the house. They are a Gamblers play.

I guess you are referring to buying options. That is definitely gambling, and the odds (time, quote spread) are not in your favor.

Selling
options (covered) is a whole different ball game. Time is your friend. And selling puts is a nice way to buy shares with a discount.

If the option doesn’t get exercised you get a nice 8-10% return in one month time (and you can immediately open a new position to repeat the process). If the shares do get assigned you can sell covered calls (short term or long term) for more returns.

I'm not sure what Elon's fascination with the NASA Worm is (on Demo-2 Falcon 9 fuselage and rear window of the Crew Model X):
View attachment 541436

That ugly thing was retired years ago (the only remaining one is the one carved in granite in the side of NASA HQ. It was universally loathed by NASA employees (although praised by ad designers). The iconic NASA Meatball was reinstated somewhere around 1990:
View attachment 541437

Jim/ NASA brought back the worm, not Elon:
https://www.nasa.gov/feature/the-worm-is-back

Jim Bridenstine on Twitter
worm.PNG

parting_of_the_red_sea

Disagree:
  • there was 14K of unsold inventory left over from Q1
    • $55K ASP
    • 22% Gross Margin
    • that adds $170M in Gross Profit
  • China production is increasing:
    • Model 3 SR+ is over 2.8K wk
    • Model 3 LR will bring the total to 4K/wk
    • GF3 had no covid related shutdown in Q2
    • Gross margins on MiC Model 3 already = Fremont
    • anticipate GF3 to contribute ~$400M in Gross Profit
  • FSD stoplight/stopsign functionality unlocks ~$140M to net profit
  • Eurozone/FCA CO2 credits are a further tailwind which increases with deliveries
LOTS of potential for a profitable Q2 now that Fremont is back up. With 50 production days in Q2, they shoud be capable of 50K+ vehicles produced, most of which will be delivered before EOQ due to demand accumulated during the pause.

Elon isn't Moses; he's NOAH! :D

broses

Cheers!

Can we just move on from how Elon handle things? He did his best to get Tesla running again and it’s done! None of us running 3 companies with over 50 thousand employees,and none have special attention from the media’s try to pick on every move. Please focused on what you know best and contribute to this forum.

Hey! I’m good at three things, that’s kind of like running three companies.

Half the people like me when I do this:

E449F600-D62F-4263-A053-347BAD1D82DA.jpeg

Half the people like me when I do this:

F48AD0E7-7F09-4F7D-BAE6-80F570857171.jpeg

And the other half would like me to do this:
D3EB9837-B29D-407C-AC80-079516C6ADF0.jpeg

View attachment 541436
That ugly thing was retired years ago. The only remaining one is the one carved in granite in the side of NASA HQ. It was universally loathed by NASA employees (although praised by ad designers). The iconic NASA Meatball was reinstated somewhere around 1990:
View attachment 541437
I don't know about that. Around 1992, when they switched back to the "Meatball", I was peripherally involved with a project at NASA Dryden (at Edwards AFB). I distinctly remember a strong push internally to "Bring back the Worm!".