Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla, TSLA & the Investment World: the Perpetual Investors' Roundtable

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Germany forces all petrol stations to provide electric car charging
BY Reuters
— 8:22 AM ET 06/04/2020
FRANKFURT (Reuters) - Germany said it will oblige all petrol stations to offer electric car charging as part of a sweeping 130 billion euro ($146.26 billion) economic recovery plan, boosting electric vehicle demand which has been hampered by consumer concerns over refuelling.
Makes no sense. Why would I want to charge at a gas station?

Is there a Charging and Infrastructure forum here?

They're already scattered along major motorways, and frequently have attached convenience stores or food. If they have fast chargers, or super chargers, that's enough time for the average person to get enough mileage to continue on to their next location. People are use to going to them, and it'd be a comfort for the range-anxiety people to know they're available. Further, the gas from the gas station will go the way of the dodo, and those are a lot of jobs being lost that can be saved by the addition.

Why wouldn't they use gas stations?

New German €6k subsidy for EVs only applies to <€40k. Perhaps this is why Elon is in UK this week? Put some pressure on Germany to raise or lift that subsidy limit that cuts out all Tesla vehicles?

I'm mean.....yes they've committed a lot of time and effort to Brandenburg construction. But technically they could still pivot back a UK Gigafactory and scrap Germany.
"Ask me for anything, ... anything but time." -- Napoleon. Tesla is not going to just throw away 6 months of effort.

That is where there are restruants, restrooms and snacks.

Wouldn't surprise me if the operators of these service stations didn't lobby for this - after all, their profits come from anything except the fuel (there's very little profit on gas/diesel in Europe), it's all about selling coffee, food, take-away drinks, etc. And more recently having to pay to take a pee (for which you get a ticket for a refund if you spend it there).

Hopefully they keep the EV charging well away from the gas pumps, who needs to be smelling that crap...

Yeah, anyway, there business model will be dead in a few years if they don't do this. So lobby for the government funds while they can.

They're already scattered along major motorways, and frequently have attached convenience stores or food. If they have fast chargers, or super chargers, that's enough time for the average person to get enough mileage to continue on to their next location. People are use to going to them, and it'd be a comfort for the range-anxiety people to know they're available. Further, the gas from the gas station will go the way of the dodo, and those are a lot of jobs being lost that can be saved by the addition.

Why wouldn't they use gas stations?

This. In Sweden there are almost no gas stations in the cities anymore. They can't live up to safety demands so 99% of gas stations are along highways where most have stores and restaurants in a little minicenter.

Not having a car I haven't thought about it but if you live in a city and still have a car this might be an issue that you have to drive some distance to get gas. Another growing advantage for EVs I guess.

New purchase subsidy in effect today in NL.
4000 euro refund on new EV's (between 12k and 45k, catalog price, excl. VAT)
2000 euro refund on second hand EV's
starts today, formal submit on 1st of july.

Unfortunately the 45k euro cap limit does include VAT, so currently all Tesla's are exempt from this subsidy.
To be honest the way this incentive is set up is pretty lame, there is even a list with approved vehicles on the governments website that includes cars you can't even buy here (BYD, JAC, Aiways).

A progressive country like the Netherlands should take an example from Germany and Norway.
Hopefully Tesla will drop the price (perhaps with a software limited range downgrade).

New purchase subsidy in effect today in NL.
4000 euro refund on new EV's (between 12k and 45k, catalog price, excl. VAT)
2000 euro refund on second hand EV's
starts today, formal submit on 1st of july.

Interesting side note, the Dutch are the tallest people in the world. I myself am vertically challenged and I drive a Model 3. Tesla’s are great cars for tall folks.

Since my family lives in the southern most part of the Netherlands, I spend a fair amount of time in the Netherlands, Belgium, and Germany. What always jumps out at me, is how Europeans build gas stations in comparison to the U.S. European gas stations are often built immediately adjacent to their freeways, little more than a lane change to enter. Designed to optimize convenience and accessibility — I like ‘em.

Last edited:
Unfortunately the 45k euro cap limit does include VAT, so currently all Tesla's are exempt from this subsidy.
To be honest the way this incentive is set up is pretty lame, there is even a list with approved vehicles on the governments website that includes cars you can't even buy here (BYD, JAC, Aiways).

A progressive country like the Netherlands should take an example from Germany and Norway.
Hopefully Tesla will drop the price (perhaps with a software limited range downgrade).
This is where selling software on a monthly recurring bill would be huge. Lower the cost of the car, get access to more customers and incentives and then consumers could be FSD after buying the car, for a rate similar to buying in their loan. As Tesla becomes more profitable, it will lower short term earnings and increase long term cash flow, making the company more profitable over the long term. From a consumer point of view, it sure would be nice to subscribe to FSD for a month so my car could manage more of a long drive, and then drop when I'm home. Over all, Tesla would increase uptake, lose some people who only need it intermittently, but profit more and provide much more value to their customers.

Elon is about to land back in California (opensky source), so no hop to Berlin. The UK alone warranted the trip to Europe.

Maybe someone mentioned something that I missed, but I'm surprised that I didn't see anyone mention that this trip could potentially have been for their application to become an energy provider in the UK. I'm sure that there are a lot of intricacies that go into that kind of application, especially when virtual power plants are to be utilized.