Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla, TSLA & the Investment World: the Perpetual Investors' Roundtable

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
2020.24.6.1 is being pushed widely starting this past hour, per TeslaFi. Since this release implements further FSD functionality (namely that green stop lights when following a lead car no longer require manual intervention to proceed in the US, and traffic light/stop sign control in AUS/CA/NZ, plus improved visualizations in China), perhaps this signifies another slight FSD revenue recognition in Q2?

In any event, lots of other goodies in this release, so great news all around.

I see Fred has been reading the TMC boards again. Shame he won't credit you guys and Vincent for the work and research you put in on the Roadrunner battery production information

Btw he fails to acknowledge that these permits and requests were made back in March and are already approved and that the expansion work has already started and/or already done.
When was exactly what I was wondering, even read it twice, thanks.
And he thinks 400 people are for R&D? Lol, I hope so... for a Terameter car. Let's go!

2020.24.6.1 is being pushed widely starting this past hour, per TeslaFi. Since this release implements further FSD functionality (namely that green stop lights when following a lead car no longer require manual intervention to proceed in the US, and traffic light/stop sign control in AUS/CA/NZ, plus improved visualizations in China), perhaps this signifies another slight FSD revenue recognition in Q2?

In any event, lots of other goodies in this release, so great news all around.
Download almost done! Exciting again!

JD Power… From what I’ve read of it, this “survey“ is structured predictably as a way to manufacture the negative Tesla story they wanted.

Yes. A survey they've been doing for like 35 years was all an elaborate TSLAQ plot. THAT totally makes sense!

Jesus **** people- I dislike shorts as much as you- but there is sometimes legit bad news about Tesla

Again- this isn't a huge deal in context- it's total # of reported issues of ALL kinds, not sorted by severity. So it doesn't at all contradict the "most satisfied owners" surveys- it's supplimental to it.

DESPITE having more niggling issues than other brands owners still are MORE satisfied with the overall vehicle experience.

That is, in net, FANTASTIC news for Tesla.

But it doesn't change the fact those niggling issues exist.

Nor does pretending this is some kinda shilling thing, or ignoring how stats and surveys work, change that.

Did somebody say JD Powah?

72403374.jpg

Yes. A survey they've been doing for like 35 years was all an elaborate TSLAQ plot. THAT totally makes sense!

Jesus **** people- I dislike shorts as much as you- but there is sometimes legit bad news about Tesla

Again- this isn't a huge deal in context- it's total # of reported issues of ALL kinds, not sorted by severity. So it doesn't at all contradict the "most satisfied owners" surveys- it's supplimental to it.

DESPITE having more niggling issues than other brands owners still are MORE satisfied with the overall vehicle experience.

Nor does pretending this is some kinda shilling thing, or ignoring how stats and surveys work, change that.
Guess what happened in all those 35 years before Tesla appeared? All brands being studied were advertisers. Now one of them ain't.
Now I'm not saying that's conclusive, but just because something has gone on for a long time doesn't mean it's 100% legit.

That's a common misunderstanding when it comes to survey data. It's not just the subject matter (vehicle quality) that has to be the same from state to state, it's also the demographics. People in traditional auto producing states could view minor Tesla flaws as more serious than the same flaw on their Ford or Chevy (and we don't know which states were included/excluded from the survey).

The data across ALL brands, including Tesla, come from 35 different states.

Are you suggesting there's 35 different "traditional auto producing states"?

And why would they ONLY do so for Tesla, but not say Lexus, or Mercedes, or anyone else?

If you wanna claim something's a misunderstanding you'll need to support your claim. You haven't.

You don't know they send the same survey to everyone

I do actually-they specifically tell you this.... you can even find copies online (though they're harder to find than you'd expect).... and I've gotten one for every new car I've purchased in the last 20+ years (except my Tesla- so presumably I'm in one of those 15 states).

There's nothing vehicle specific on em. They're generic PLEASE ANSWER THESE QUESTIONS ABOUT YOUR NEW VEHICLE surveys.

. Hopefully the survey contents are the same but the packaging can greatly impact the response rate and who (and why) someone might respond. JD Powers might mention the survey is done on behalf of Ford (for Ford owners) or GMC (for GMC owners) in order to tie the survey to the brand the owner purchased and make the survey seem more legitimate (which it would if it was being done for the benefit of the manufacturer). This could increase response rates. On the other hand, it would be fraud for JD Powers to claim their Tesla survey had the manufacturer's approval.

Yeah- again- they do NONE of that.

My previous one was for a Lexus- it said nothing specific about Lexus sponsoring a damn thing anywhere- it was generic NEW VEHICLE everywhere.

(Nor does any car company "sponsor" the IQS survey- they do it every year for all new cars..... Car makers can pay for detailed RESULTS if they want to data mine them- and they can pay to use the results in advertising. They DO NOT pay -to have the survey done-

Again- please stop making up nonsense as reasons to not trust the data.

I would like to assume that is true but JD Powers didn't address the specifics

They do, in lots of places, going back decades.

You don't appear to have bothered to check before just making up reasons they CAN NOT POSSIBLY BE TRUSTED BECAUSE THEY SAID A BAD THING ABOUT TESLA.

The larger problem is counting a minor fit/finish flaw with the same weight as a reliability problem or a car that needed a new transmission in the first 1000 miles. But, of course, doing it in a more reasonable manner would not add as much value to their paying customers (all the existing OEMs).

That's not a "problem" per se- it's the intent of the study.

How many problems of ANY kind does a given car have in the first 90 days.

That's why I keep pointing out context matters

And why the fact Tesla can score so poorly on THAT measure, but be #1 in owner satisfaction is a great net positive for the company.

DESPITE a bunch of little niggling things, people LOVE these cars.

My own was flawless for fit/finish.

But they lost of one of my keycards before delivery.

They also lost my phone cables.

Eventually they sent a ranger out to fix these 2 delivery defects- and they didn't impact my love of the vehicle at all. Best car I've ever owned, period.

But I don't pretend Tesla NEVER DID ANYTHING WRONG EVER as some seem to want to really hang on to as an idea.

I doubt we could draw any meaningful conclusions from the metric reported by jdpower. Toy example:

Car model A and car model B produced by the same manufacturer with everything equal except that car A always have one failed usb port, and car B always have one wheel that falls apart after 15 miles driving.

Well, looks like model A and model B have the same quality if you just count the number of issues the car has.

The metric is also heavily influenced by the number of features a car offer.

The metric could be useful for the same car model produced over time to indicate production maturity, but comparing it across different models and aggregating on the brand is just foolish and the metric is IMHO useless. Calling it "quality" metric is highly misleading.

Reactions: Lessmog
Can you cite what JD Power changed about the survey, specifically?

I ask because it's a generic survey sent out to everyone, regardless of the car they bought- so your theory keeps making no actual sense.
Do you have a link to their sampling design and verifiable documentation of their strict adherence to that design?
Not only is Tesla not advertising, it also didn't play along with JDP. Coincidentally, it ranks last. Doesn't that give you any pause? Regardless, investing in TSLA has taught me not to trust things at their face value.

Last edited:
This just in from our own @avoigt

"Finally, it was also not explained how Mercedes-Benz intends to develop autonomous driving software that needs data to train self-learning algorithms without having any real-life driving data yet or even a fleet of vehicles with a required set of cameras and sensors to collect such data. To be honest, the partnership announced today reveals that Mercedes-Benz is more than 10 years behind, and while their intentions may be good, I believe their timeline is not realistic and is missing critical components to attract the necessary talent to build a working solution — including building, as confirmed by Källenius, missing hardware components like sensors."​

Mercedes-Benz & Nvidia Partner On Autonomous Driving — Numerous Thoughts & Questions | CleanTechnica

Cheers!

Thanks, Artful @Artful Dodger , and sorry that I don't manage to hang out more here - a forum where I learned the most about Tesla and BEVs a few years back in time.

I appreciate the attention to some of my modest articles and videos and am always positively impressed by the feedback.

Last edited:
JD Power… From what I’ve read of it, this “survey“ is structured predictably as a way to manufacture the negative Tesla story they wanted. All the usual suspects fell into line to broadcast it right at the end of the quarter. It is completely irrelevant to my experience from my 2015 Model S, and my 2018 Model 3. It is 100% relevant to every BS MSM clickbait article I’ve ever read.

In fact, Tesla is an oasis of innovation in the wasteland of yesterday’s monotony that this kind of 'industry (funded) report' is unimaginatively trying to resuscitate.

It is interesting how in the span of, what, a week?, we got:
  • Chanos trashing Tesla again on TV
  • Adam Jonas loving GM, downgrading TSLA
  • JD Power survey story
  • Linette Lopez hit piece (timed for EOQ?)
  • NHTSA probe story
  • TSLAQ dusting off “Tesla fire” talking points
All that in a week? And it’s all a coincidence?

Do you have a link to their sampling design and verifiable documentation of their strict adherence to that design?

You can find info on it all over the place...

Very high level-
Ratings Methodology | How J.D. Power Ratings Work | J.D. Power.

Here's a research paper discussing how both JD Power and CR gather their ratings for example-
http://web.mst.edu/~gosavia/ijest.pdf

it even points out the same downside to their data- it gives each issue the same weight as any other. But as the paper cites Automotive News senior writer Jesse Snyder remarking "For all its flaws, the data are the best available. And the IQS has driven continuous improvement in vehicle quality for years, acting as both carrot and stick. Automakers grumble, but they work very hard to improve their scores."

here's car and driver discussing the IQS methodology-
The Trouble With J.D. Power's Initial Quality Study - Feature - Car and Driver

J.D. Power conducts an extensive survey with 228 questions divided into eight categories: exterior, interior, features/controls/displays, audio/entertainment/navigation systems, seats, climate controls, powertrain, and driving experience. “In our 2011 IQS, we had a random survey, geographically distributed, with more than 73,000 respondents who had owned their vehicles for 90 days. We require a minimum of 100 surveys for a model to be rated,” says Festekjian. “And we make no judgments about these answers. We simply report the voice of  the customer.”

And apparently JD Powers data is good enough the Federal Bureau of Labor Statistics is buying it for use in the Consumer Price Index.
Experimental new vehicle methodology factsheet : U.S. Bureau of Labor Statistics

Not only is Tesla not advertising, it also didn't play along with JDP. Coincidentally, it ranks last. Doesn't that give you any pause?

No.

SOMEONE has to be last.

Every year.

Going back decades. Well before Tesla even existed.

To my knowledge there's never been any evidence "how much $ they spent advertising" had any bearing on that.

Do you have any evidence otherwise?

Regardless, investing in TSLA has taught me not to trust things at their face value.

Their data is just fine.

The issue is not understanding the context of that data. The fact every issue has equal weight for example.

That's why it's important to consider the sum total of available data from different surveys that check different things.

See again why scoring badly here, but scoring #1 in owner satisfaction, is a very useful set of info to have.

What would be a good entry point for some more Tesla shares? Have some dry powder. What is the upwards trend in 2-3 weeks?

Based on the current Covid19 stats from California, Arizona, Flordia and Texas, I wonder how they will get it under control. Another (partly) lockdown? Still don't understand why masks are not mandatory. Looking at Taiwan it clearly helps. Still bullish on Tesla in the long run, but worries about macros.

Another full lockdown is unlikely unless things get real bad. You might see rollbacks of dine-in eating, gyms, etc., and increased enforcement of mask wearing, but I think the days of another total shelter-in-place are gone and never coming back.