Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla, TSLA & the Investment World: the Perpetual Investors' Roundtable

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
If anyone is interested in learning more about lithium mining and battery production in general I'd recommend watching this video, likely the best Gali's video I've seen so far (sorry if it was already mentioned 100 times, can't keep up with this forum):

My thoughts are that Tesla is unlikely to go deep into mining itself and most likely will focus more on securing supplies and battery recycling instead.
Recycling, while may not sound as sexy as mining, may be a key to sustainable future and once it is mastered and enough lithium is mined, mining will be almost obsolete. Also lithium itself may be partly or completely out of equation in the future.

Still there is a clear shortage of lithium mining for the nearest future so who knows.
I agree, it doesn't make sense for Tesla to get into the raw materials business. That ties up a bunch of capital and then also tethers Tesla to a specific battery technology. RFIs and RFPs can spawn additional interest in mining and refining without tying up huge sums of capital, and then enter into long-term supply contracts to solidify their position. Recycling would be cool though.

Reactions: lafrisbee
I have only been right 2 times when it comes to stock market predictions:

1. Just now.
2. Buy TSLA. Always buy TSLA.

1. Just now.

You missed 3 ,4 and 5:
3. If TSLA goes down, buy some more
4. If TSLA goes up, buy some more
5. Take a bath in $100 bills :)

Along with the Small system price drops, Tesla has upped the referral program a bit. I'm betting residential solar will turn into a Q3 surprise.
I'm not seeing a price drop on small systems on PA. 8.16 kW was $16k last week and $16.4k now.

Maybe they just aligned all the pricing to $16.4k and PA was priced lower than CA before?

I'm not seeing a price drop on small systems on PA. 8.16 kW was $16k last week and $16.4k now.

Maybe they just aligned all the pricing to $16.4k and PA was priced lower than CA before?

Correct. Only the Small 4.08 kW system had a price drop ($10,000 to $8,200). Otherwise they harmonized every system to a linear $2.01/watt no matter the size. You'll notice that 8.16 kW is now exactly twice as expensive as 4.08 kW, etc.

It does represent a small price increase for the larger systems, but it does simplify pricing and entices customers to check them out in the first place when the starting system is so affordable.

Counting down the seconds for the big straight-line slide down, lol.
Yeah, not seeing it...

TSLA.2020-07-17.09-33.png

We had the spike up to $1,533 at the Open followed by the mandatory -2% dip. So regular, you can set your bank book clock by it...

I'm worried where all da shortzes will go after TSLA enters the S&P500 and isn't so easy to push around anymore.

Whale tail slap emoji.

1. Just now.
My buddy was always making fun of me because for the last 5 years I was saying buy TSLA at 200 and at 300. He would laugh saying to you it always a good time to buy TSLA. I kept repeating myself that over the longterm it’s definitely a good buy. If he asks me again I will tell him to still buy TSLA but dollar cost average in. I wonder if he will laugh at me again.

I don’t know. Is it any weirder than propping up businesses that failed, are failing and will fail again? Lots of people think there are going to be a number of governments propping up OEMs again and somehow making sure their countrymen buy from them.

True. Propping up struggling companies is common. I was thinking more of the stick part and not the carrot. Limiting where investment money can go.