Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla, TSLA & the Investment World: the Perpetual Investors' Roundtable

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
As I stated in a later post to the one you quoted; normally SS is rolled 2-4xs to reach whatever gauge (thickness) is required by the customer. Elon wants 30xs rolling. Why is it 2-4xs? Because it’s a best guess how thick to make the molten metal to start to get to the desired end result gauge.

Doesn't the 'x' in 30x stainless steel refer to the last digit of the specific type of stainless? 301, 302, 304, 309, etc? and not the number of times it is rolled? Unless I read your post wrong..

For Cybertruck, they can build the buildings, set up the machines and try to build it, they only need relatively small amount of SS material for trial production as initially they may only build one at a time... they also need to organise all parts... and the battery packs..

Okay, I was trying not to go down this rabbit hole but it’s apparently necessary.

This will not work. They have to trial from HIGH volume production material. Trialing from LOW volume production material will yield different results, in some cases hugely different results.

The recipe for a small batch of material is DIFFERENT than the recipe for a large batch of material. This is not double the recipe to make 4 dozen cookies instead of 2 dozen.

Part of these recipes beyond the actual elements is heating temperature, heating time, cooling time, funnel size and shape, distance to drop the molten metal, flow cadence, and on and on and on. It’s complicated, it’s intricate, it’s an art form. These recipes take as long as years to perfect.

And no, you can’t order from different suppliers. The recipes will vary even when starting with the same material parameters and thus the end result will be different causing variations in strength, formability etc...

Everyone can start with the same amount of eggs, flour, sugar but each batch of cookies will vary. Oven temperature varies, time cooking varies, the cookie sheet varies, was the dough worked by hand or with a beater, the amount of dough used to make the cookie. Try it. And now complex that times 100 for making steels.

I don’t think anyone doesn’t think that eventually, TSLA will pay dividends.
The reason for the disagree’s (at least mine), is your insistence that a stock that doesn’t ever have a dividend is “worthless”.
15%-20% of the S&P500 don’t pay dividends.

Dividend investing is wonderful. I personally love it and use it extensively. I think it is the best way to go.
That doesn’t mean that a company that has no plans to pay dividends has zero value. It has the value the market assigns to it.
And if that value increases year over year, it is an appreciating value, wether it pays a dividend or not.

We went through this entire dividend debate a year ago. People are still confusing *not paying a dividend* with *no dividend can or will be paid, EVER*.

Gold and silver have intrinsic value e,g.useful to make jewellery. Short of a corporate buyout, a share certificate has no intrinsic value. All you can do is frame it and wall mount it - not really worth $1500. Its value is its promise of future reward (dividend), even if that point is more than a decade away.

Doesn't the 'x' in 30x stainless steel refer to the last digit of the specific type of stainless? 301, 302, 304, 309, etc? and not the number of times it is rolled? Unless I read your post wrong..

Yes, but Elon also specifically said at one point they’d rolled the SS 30xs to get it bulletproof. That sounds right. I don’t recall them specifying which SS they started with but logically it has to be a lower one because as I said before 311 & 316 right off the bat is too hard to form for the body panels.

• Informative
Reactions: capster and dl003
We went through this entire dividend debate a year ago. People are still confusing *not paying a dividend* with *no dividend can or will be paid, EVER*.

Gold and silver have intrinsic value e,g.useful to make jewellery. Short of a corporate buyout, a share certificate has no intrinsic value. All you can do is frame it and wall mount it - not really worth $1500. Its value is its promise of future reward (dividend), even if that point is more than a decade away.

Weekend is coming to a close, so this will be my last comment on dividends, happy to continue if you wish to start a new thread.

A stock's value is what you can sell it for at that moment. Nothing more, nothing less.
The promise of a future reward, has no affect on the value. Especially since the "promise of a future reward" is more nebulous than the fiat currency our economic system is based on.

Also, if a company might pay a dividend in a "billion years" (as stated by another poster) or even 50 years, that does NOTHING to add to the value I attribute to the stock today, as that is past my lifespan.

Weekend is coming to a close, so this will be my last comment on dividends, happy to continue if you wish to start a new thread.

A stock's value is what you can sell it for at that moment. Nothing more, nothing less.
The promise of a future reward, has no affect on the value. Especially since the "promise of a future reward" is more nebulous than the fiat currency our economic system is based on.

Also, if a company might pay a dividend in a "billion years" (as stated by another poster) or even 50 years, that does NOTHING to add to the value I attribute to the stock today, as that is past my lifespan.

Yes, but no right thinking person would attribute any value to a share that had no conduit (the concept of dividend) to reward its owner.

The other conduit is during corporate buyout. I would not own TSLA if that were the only conduit, as I do not wish to see the company broken up or sold.

Yes, but Elon also specifically said at one point they’d rolled the SS 30xs to get it bulletproof. That sounds right. I don’t recall them specifying which SS they started with but logically it has to be a lower one because as I said before 311 & 316 right off the bat is too hard to form for the body panels.

This might help: seems to be a custom alloy.

Very interesting, Tesla will be making their own stainless steel:

Elon Musk on Twitter

"We’re creating this alloy at Tesla. Not a problem to create a lot of it, but we’ll need to come up with new body manufacturing methods, as it can’t be made using standard methods."​

So after SpaceX foundry there's going to be a Tesla foundry too!

Might explain some of the CoGs reduction @KarenRei and @ReflexFunds were arguing about?

They'd avoid steel tariffs as well.

But does “creating” = manufacturing at scale?

It takes not just months, but upwards of years for a new steel material to be reciped, validated and produced in large quantities by a steel supplier. They have procedures and protocols and they’d have to set their mill up for producing it specifically - particularly in this case with it needing to be rolled 30xs. Heck, it takes 6+ months just to get in their regular supply rotation. Steels have to be made, cooled, heat treated, cured. And in this example rolled 30 bloody times.

"30x" does not mean it was rolled 30 times - it's a reference to the alloy belonging to the 30x series of SS. This is a reference to the composition of the alloy and not anything to do with the cold-rolling process.

That’s specifically why I said, Elon is going to have to convince a company to invest money to expand for Tesla specifically or make the material himself or change the material to something readily available.

It's possible Tesla makes it themselves but I suspect Tesla will just work with a supplier and order it. I don't expect it will need special equipment to form it since it will probably have properties in between those of existing alloys. Sure, more volume of business means suppliers will need to expand if they are already at capacity. Without a deeper look, that is not a given. Depending upon the business cycle they could have enough capacity. Or not. This is how businesses grow, by taking on new customers. Either way (purchased or vertically integrated), it's a given that Tesla already has the ball rolling.

FYI, it’s very difficult to get straight up 304 SS because nobody uses it because it’s very hard to form. It’ll also start to rust in a northern climate within about two years without paint or some form of coated protection - everyone’s CYBRTRCK is going to have a brown patina. I know this, I’m prepared for it. A lot of people aren’t going to be happy about it.

The Cybertruck will not be made of 304 SS and I thought you knew that. So it's not clear why you are attributing those qualities to the Cybertruck. The initial Deloreans were made out of 304 SS (only 0.8mm thick) and it wasn't cold rolled so it required frequent polishing. That's why Delorean switched production to 316 SS. Don't think those lessons are lost on Tesla, that's probably one reason they are developing their own alloy.

301 SS is much easier to get and form but it’ll rust like crazy, so that definitely won’t work without paint/protective coating. Tesla wants something beyond 304. It does not exist. 311 & 316 SS take much longer to rust, but it can not be formed into CYBRTRCK shapes.

We know Tesla is not using any existing alloy because they all have at least one disadvantage or another that prevents them from being ideally suited. That is precisely why they are developing a proprietary alloy! Also, the cold rolling process of any 30x series SS tightens up the metal's grain structure which makes the surface harder and more corrosion resistant. At 3mm thick (wow!) this treatment will extend well below the surface of the metal so simple polishing will not remove it. None of us know the exact alloy that will be used but my money says it will be very good in the corrosion department and it won't be turning brown easily or quickly.

And, yes, 316 SS could be formed into Cybertruck shapes because those shapes are less demanding than the compound curves present on the Delorean bodywork (which used this precise alloy). But it's a moot point because we know the CT will not be made out of any existing SS alloys!

Don’t believe me, feel free to Google what various steel mills have readily available and then call them up and ask them how long for them to deliver you 10,000 tons of 304 SS rolled 30xs. Normal rolling counts to make SS is 2-4xs.

Sheesh! I never said they won't have to give advance notice if they will be relying on an outside foundry! That's a given whenever you work with a supplier to deliver a custom product.

And I’m not actually concerned. They’ll figure it out. I’m just trying to educate people that this CYBRTRCK thing is not easy or cheap or fast - initially. The end result, no doubt will be breathtaking, but they are going to have to pull more than a few rabbits out their hat and a few hippopotamuses too. This is going to be harder than hard.

On that we agree! And as someone who is anxiously waiting on on at least one Cybertruck, I hope the delivery is somewhat in line with the announced timeline. But I have mentally added in another year for delays to avoid being emotionally crushed when it's late! But it probably won't be because they couldn't get the metal in time. The difficulty of this project goes far beyond that - it's likely not even at the top of their list of concerns.

Lathrop is a CASTINGS foundry. That’s different than a mill/foundry that makes rolled steel. Way different.

Yes, aluminum casting. And we don't know what else. Certainly they won't be doing volume production of the cold rolled SS there but they might be developing and validating it there.

While I love the idea of vertical integration I've always suspected they will farm out the manufacture of the rolls of SS.

I think the question of whether or not Tesla is going to pay dividends ever is getting a bit ahead of itself. We're in the middle of a pandemic, the beginning of autonomous driving, the late stage of a super debt cycle, the rise of populism again which is splitting the country in half. Hell, I don't know if anyone can tell with a straight face what we're gonna look like 5 years, much less, 20 or 30 years, at which point they expect to see Tesla pay a dividends. For all I know, we might see a new paradigm in which something else replaces dividends as a way to return capital to investors. For now, let's just agree that Tesla is the best vehicle to carry us through this storm. That, to me, is more valuable than the prospect of receiving dividends.

Tesla Cybertruck's steel body can be heated to get different colors - Electrek

Elon is saying it is possible not that colors will be offered.

Tempering_standards_used_in_blacksmithing.jpeg

Okay, I was trying not to go down this rabbit hole but it’s apparently necessary.

This will not work. They have to trial from HIGH volume production material. Trialing from LOW volume production material will yield different results, in some cases hugely different results.

The recipe for a small batch of material is DIFFERENT than the recipe for a large batch of material. This is not double the recipe to make 4 dozen cookies instead of 2 dozen.

Part of these recipes beyond the actual elements is heating temperature, heating time, cooling time, funnel size and shape, distance to drop the molten metal, flow cadence, and on and on and on. It’s complicated, it’s intricate, it’s an art form. These recipes take as long as years to perfect.

And no, you can’t order from different suppliers. The recipes will vary even when starting with the same material parameters and thus the end result will be different causing variations in strength, formability etc...

Everyone can start with the same amount of eggs, flour, sugar but each batch of cookies will vary. Oven temperature varies, time cooking varies, the cookie sheet varies, was the dough worked by hand or with a beater, the amount of dough used to make the cookie. Try it. And now complex that times 100 for making steels.

But surely Tesla would have been aware of these issues before the reveal because SpaceX is using the same SS?

So there is a plan, whoever is making batches has to be able to make the same stuff each time within tolerance...

Vehicle production machinery has some tolerance, some adjust-ability and some fail-safe mechanisms, and it takes sometime to set up and test the machinery... Again I'm sure there is an intended schedule and a plan, not that it will necessarily go smoothly. But the intention should be to have raw materials arrive in time to test the machinery..

Last edited:
Reactions: StealthP3D
I see some members are feeling a bit down due the stock price action...here is something to cheer you up :)

Freight Train Arriving ……. Demolishing the Bear Thesis

The naysayers may downplay S&P Inclusion (“it won’t have a lasting effect”) and poo-poo Battery Day (“remember Autonomy Day?”) but there is one coming event that they are sweating…..Q3 Results !!

Here are the headlines we will see in October:
- Tesla Delivers 145,000 Vehicles; 50% Increase over Prior Year
- Tesla Delivers Record Earnings of $490m GAAP Profits ($736m non-GAAP)
- Tesla Reports Record Sales $8.3 Billion
- Tesla Achieves GAAP Profit excluding Regulatory Credits
- Impressive Operating Leverage as Tesla Delivers Operating Profit Growth of 188%

See Q3 financial projections in these 2 posts"

Near-future quarterly financial projections

Near-future quarterly financial projections

To play devil's advocate: why do you believe market action after a great Q3 ER be different than what we say last week?

To play devil's advocate: why do you believe market action after a great Q3 ER be different than what we say last week?

The positive market reaction might happen before the Q3 financials are released, just like this quarter!

One other difference is Q3 will likely be record breaking numbers on ALL fronts. The Coronavirus induced factory shutdown for half the quarter kind of stepped in to make sure that didn't happen in Q2.

To be frank, I think investors will be slowly coming to the realization (any day now) that Q2 was pretty incredible considering Fremont was shut down for almost half the quarter.

The share price doubled between Q1 earnings and Q2 earnings. I'd venture to say if the share price doubles again between Q2 and Q3 earnings, you're going to see the same kind of sell off.

I'm pretty amazed at people being disappointed about a 10% sell off after a 100% gain in 3 months......and this coming from someone who uber bullish on where the stock is gonna be at the end of the year o_O

(Not saying you're saying you're disappointed or complaining about the share price action) :)

Last edited:
Top Rated Posts of the Last Week

Informative
Love
Helpful
Funny
Disagree

I give you... "SPOILERCEPTION!"

You can't just look at the few days before or after the ER to judge how the market reacted to earnings. The SP was up around 100% in Q2. If the Accountants early Q3 projections are close to the actual numbers I think it's safe to say the SP will be up significantly from here.

The share price doubled between Q1 earnings and Q2 earnings. I'd venture to say if the share price doubles again between Q2 and Q3 earnings, you're going to see the same kind of sell off.

I'm pretty amazed at people being disappointed about a 10% sell off after a 100% gain in 3 months......and this coming from someone who uber bullish on where the stock is gonna be at the end of the year o_O

Not disappointed, just puzzled about the market reaction. I think most people didn't expect this, especially after several analyst firms upgraded the next day.

You can't just look at the few days before or after the ER to judge how the market reacted to earnings. The SP was up around 100% in Q2. If the Accountants early Q3 projections are close to the actual numbers I think it's safe to say the SP will be up significantly from here.

That's fair, a week from now will bring more clarity.