Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla, TSLA & the Investment World: the Perpetual Investors' Roundtable

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I was behind a BMW I8 today...man it looks like it is trying SO hard to look cool.
I MUCH prefer my understated Model S!
Imagine paying $100k for it, four years later they can go down below $50k perfectly working. If you buy one used, that low it might holds its value somewhat now. Just sucks it has only 18 miles of electric range. Honestly, it would make a fun second car if it was a better electric.

OR the leak could have caused the move today.
TSLA almost never moves on news anymore. (see: last Thursday and the two days after 2Q deliveries)

It's all about squeezing on days when people MUST buy. That's short covering and retail investors who don't understand the market cap and just think SP goes up.

This is what has me in the inclusion squeeze club. No one is really salivating to buy @ $285B market cap, but inclusion buying is price agnostic(to some degree). Dark pools notwithstanding.

I don't even drive a facelifted Model S and i am still in awe every time i see my car and other pre-facelifted model S's. I think it is just something about the smooth lines and sexy body that still appeals to me almost 10 years later!
upload_2020-7-27_19-41-27.png

Imagine paying $100k for it, four years later they can go down below $50k perfectly working. If you buy one used, that low it might holds its value somewhat now. Just sucks it has only 18 miles of electric range. Honestly, it would make a fun second car if it was a better electric.

They start at $147.5K and go up from there.

I don't even drive a facelifted Model S and i am still in awe every time i see my car and other pre-facelifted model S's. I think it is just something about the smooth lines and sexy body that still appeals to me almost 10 years later!
View attachment 569725
The word I can think of is regal. The first time I saw an S was years ago. It was in a crowded parking lot but I could recognize there was something special about the silhoette from afar. I tried to search my memory but it didnt look like anything Id seen before. Once I saw it was an S I was like no wonder. Its not pretentious and trying too hard. It just works.

Last edited:
Tesla plans $780 million bond deal pegged to vehicle leases—its first such offering during the pandemic

'The Palo Alto, Calif.-based electric-vehicle maker is offering eight classes of bonds to investors that mature in 2.7-years or less and carry mostly top AAA ratings from Moody’s Investors Service.

In terms of pricing, the biggest AAA-rated, 1.1-year portion of the Tesla bond deal is being pitched to investors at a spread of about 50 to 55 basis points over a risk-free benchmark, according to an investor tracking the offering.'

Not sure if anyone has responded with this nugget, but Trump recently removed the requirements for "environmental impact study" and other things which might actually have obliged Tesla to go into some "site investigation phase" to see if there might be environmental problems. Across Austin on the other side of town there was a debacle in the late 80's/early 90's with real-estate developers whose plans turned out to be a threat to rare salamanders - and it was successfully defended by environmentalists, so they had to retreat from that area. Barton Springs Salamander | AustinTexas.gov

There is no way Tesla could have carried out full investigations, given the timeline we've all been following. So if there are "bats" or whatever else out there... they are getting steamrolled!

I would expect Elon to exceed Federal requirements, though.

Common misunderstanding. NEPA applies to federal projects and federal funding unless a state also has a state NEPA. Only real possibility here I can see is impact on Colorado river as a navigable waterway involves federal regulation. No funding issue.
State environmental impact assessment not a danger in Texas although they clearly should be more concerned about the environment

Would someone show this gentleman the door?

You get bonus points for not mentioning Apple and Tesla in the same sentence as I have just done, but it’s not a lot of bonus points.

Top 5 rehashed topics - in no particular order

1. Apple going to buy Tesla, Do we want Apple to buy Tesla, Apple should buy Tesla.
2. When we getting our dividends, bro?
3. Tesla service sucks balls!
4. Stock split? Bueller?
5. Why TSLA SP, up, down, crashed, melted, imploded, exploded, self-mutilated, tanked, etc., etc.
7. FSD for sure this year!

Sorry, this was probably covered upthread, but I haven't seen this mentioned. Does anyone know the time from first hires to first cars last year for the Model 3? Adding people for stamping, assembly, paint, quality control and the new design center as well. Seems like we could be 2 months from pilot Y's coming off the line, in very limited numbers. If they keep ramping the 3 output to 5000 in Q4 and get even a few thousand MIC Y's in 2020, it could be an amazing Q4 and a pretty good start to 2021.

Tesla hiring in Shanghai as production ramps up

Does anybody here have experience with margin on IB?

I have a margin account on IB, but I've only used it for a few minutes/hours while I executed another trade or deposited funds.

However, I'm going to need money to pay for my MBA and living expenses next year, and rather than sell any TSLA for $1,500, I'm looking into getting a student loan.

Most student loans are ~5% interest or more though, so a margin loan at IB at <1% interest sounds like it might be a better idea. As such, I've been trying to find out how this would work exactly, but their documentation is unnecessarily complicated and assumes I want to use the money to trade, rather than withdraw the money.

So if there's anyone experienced with margin on IB, who could help me figure a few things out, that'd be super helpful.

I would sure love to believe that. Amazon has done that for years. But, then why is FSD getting more expensive at the same time? Are Tesla's costs for FSD development somehow going higher?
The mission is to advance sustainable energy, not to sustain your available energy. He wants to get more people into electric cars. FSD is not a requirement.