Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla, TSLA & the Investment World: the Perpetual Investors' Roundtable

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
who the hell is the market for this. I can afford one, but I don't want one. Why would I? Most people spending > $100k are likely in their forties or fifties. A lot of them are men. I don't know about you, but at age 50 no way will my bladder let me go 500 miles without a stop. So why would this have ANY value?

To be fair, its a decent strategy to start with a high price car and work down, its the teslas model, but teslas model worked when there was no competing EV. Now there is. its 10x harder for them.
There is a market for this category of car. Fisker is closer to it then Lucid is. The one thing, cars in this price need looks. Lucid does not have the right look, even if the tech specs are great.

• Disagree
Reactions: RobStark
Rich Smith of The Motley Fool is accusing Tesla of filing a frivolous lawsuit against Rivian because Rivian's truck can do a 'tank turn'. Apparently tank turns somehow helps with parallel parking (??) and therefore Tesla is unlawfully seeking to end the whole Rivian tank parking threat..

You Stole My Employees! Tesla's Allegations Spark Lawsuit Against Rivian | The Motley Fool

'Perhaps it's because Rivian is looking like the kind of competitor that could accelerate a bit faster than Tesla is comfortable with. Rivian's R1T prototype, after all, made quite a stir last year when it showed off a "tank turn" feature permitting the truck to steer all four wheels independently so as to spin around a stationary point. That's a trick Tesla has yet to duplicate, and it's something that would be very helpful in parallel parking, I imagine.'

'This lawsuit could be just the kind of convenient speed bump Tesla needs to slow Rivian's roll while Tesla gets its own electric truck ready for sale.'

Reactions: Nocturnal
Interesting that all my stocks with blowout earnings is down 10-15% from it's post earning AH rally while all other companies that have reported loss of infinity like carnival and AMC are up 15% since their earnings. The transitioning is real. Play tech stocks prior to earnings because it's not a dumpster fire, then take profit and cycle into dumpster fire stocks until next earnings season.

The problem is that if Elon has to tell the world tomorrow that they can't get FSD to work and probably never will the share price would fall a lot lower than to your $1000 valuation of Tesla without any FSD. So those of us that aren't convinced that Telsa will sell millions of $100k FSD in a few years will loose out even if we are not including FSD at maximum value in our valuation today.

Most likely. And most likely that would be temporary as people would gradually start to realize that Tesla is a heck of a lot more than FSD.

Reactions: WarpedOne
And in the meantime let thousands of people die? We will see. Here is hoping for the best.

"Bad enough vaccine" could kill many thousands more, in the worst case every one that gets vaccinated.

Hope and necessity are not cures.
Absence of good medicine does not turn a bed one into good, it is still bad.

who the hell is the market for this. I can afford one, but I don't want one. Why would I? Most people spending > $100k are likely in their forties or fifties. A lot of them are men. I don't know about you, but at age 50 no way will my bladder let me go 500 miles without a stop. So why would this have ANY value?

To be fair, its a decent strategy to start with a high price car and work down, its the teslas model, but teslas model worked when there was no competing EV. Now there is. its 10x harder for them.

Can you really blame them though? How does anybody compete with Tesla in the EV space? Like for real... how does anybody compete with Tesla's offerings? I don't think anybody can realistically hope to come even close. Tesla continuously lowers prices, improves the specs, adds ADAS capabilities, improves its software, improves the performance through OTA updates, etc. at a blistering pace, and the competition is still having difficulties matching the 2012 Model S. And this it with a ton of incentives and various EV/ZEV/NEV credit systems that are supposed to make things easier for them.

As a result, Tesla has on the order of 80% market share in the US EV market, it now looks like Tesla has also captured a majority of the China EV market while Giga Shanghai is still only operating at a fraction of its full potential, and soon the same thing will happen to the remaining EV markets.

Who is going to interrupt this trend, and more importantly how? Tesla looks to be on track to do the same thing to the automotive industry as SpaceX has done to the commercial launch services industry: disrupt it so hard that all incumbents become completely obsolete and irrelevant.

Competitors have to try something, and directly competing with Tesla is not favorable to them. Rivian was smart to do a pick-up truck, but it is taking too long and now the Cybertruck will be here soon. Lucid also has to differentiate itself somehow, and they've chosen to do it by trying to appear more luxurious with a (for now) much higher range. If Lucid tries to compete with any of Tesla's models directly, their offering will be $10-20k more expensive and probably still not compare favorably (autopilot, software, safety, etc.). Not many people would choose Lucid over Tesla in that case. With this strategy at least some people who are looking for a more luxurious car might choose Lucid or the Taycan over the Model S/X.

Survey: More Than Half of Tech Employees ‘Dread’ Work Each Morning

"An early August survey of 2,000 employees from Amazon, Facebook, Microsoft, Google and other large American companies found 56% of them “dread work every morning,” owing largely to issues that stem from the coronavirus pandemic.

Employees at Facebook (78%), VMware (74%), Oracle (73%), PayPal (73%), Intuit (71%) and Amazon (68%) were most likely to dread work, according to the survey. Among tech companies, employees at Cisco (42%), Tesla (43%) and Uber (46%) were least likely to experience the same dread prior to work each day."

Every time I think "Can Facebook suck any harder?" they outdo themselves.

Good to see Tesla at the bottom of the list.