Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla, TSLA & the Investment World: the Perpetual Investors' Roundtable

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
All these TV commentators keep saying TSLA SP is overvalued or ridiculous, .... Even at current SP, TSLA is actually cheap compared to other high growth stocks. Look at the P/S (Price to Sale) ratio below:
TSLA 12x (after the big run up) --- Full vertical integration + FD + Solar + Energy
NIO 14x --- Does not own factories, and barely pass critical phase
TDOC 21x --- Virtual healthcare services
CRWD 39x --- Cloud security, lower entry point area
SHOP 57x --- Cloud based e-commerce platform

For me, Tesla has more obvious trajectory growth path in the next 5 years at least. Just a few examples to show TSLA is still pretty "cheap"

TSLA right now

ImaginativeCluelessBoar-size_restricted.gif

The financial relationship / manager fellow that Fidelity assigned to my account, and my wife, spent time earlier this year talking about how risky Tesla was and how we should lock in those gains and deploy into something more diversified and less risky. I wanted to explain how everything else looked amazingly risky, and that Tesla was about the only safe place I could see putting our money at that time.

So we stayed put, as we have for ~8 years.

I don't bother trying to explain it to most people. And my wife drives our Model X and Roadster, so she's got the product side of my investment thesis well understood. Beyond that, she trusts me.

For the financial advisor, I listen to the other stuff and he just has to deal with the fact that I'm not diversified.

I expect we'll be having a detailed retirement conversation in the next few weeks, where I expect him to again make the class for more / better diversification. I might, but probably won't, try to explain how Tesla is the least risky place I see to have investments right now. Maybe even safer than US Treasuries (and maybe not).

I don't understand how others can not get it too.
I tried to tell all family friends over last three years to buy Tesla, some bought it and sold it with little profit, other never did, I think biggest problem with Tesla is up until recently and some what still today, main stream media painted Tesla is so bad, One car fire of Tesla and media gangs up on headlines, this kind of treatment kept lot of investors away because they never went in-depth in Tesla story.

Yea, but where's the fun in that? All too scientific. At first I was waiting for that 2nd comma to appear. Now that it's well in the past ( few months ago) and 3rd comma is never going to happen for me, I need something else fun to look forward too. The first digit going from 1 to 2 and beyond, while exciting seems a bit pedestrian as a milestone now that '2' is probably within a few weeks of happening for me. Suggestions?

Give it all away and start over?

It's better, IMO. "Every Factory is a product" to quote Elon.

Factories improve each greenfield, so we can't just multiply by floorspace for example. But it's even more than that.

For a while, the constraint was with batteries, now it's nickel - very specific and no longer assumes factory capacity. Next constraint may be titanium for pearl white paint, lol. See the pattern?

So assuming their battery production constraint just caught some relief, we should see a much higher focus on volume at every Tesla factory to date. They only needed to build as fast as the biggest constraint, any more is not lean manufacturing.

Roadrunner is going to seriously scare people how fast it spits out batteries, and that's a general consensus lately. I think the name "Roadrunner" gave it away? Not as difficult to understand as the LeMur clue.

On the island sub topic

I heard this w/e that Vieques, small island off Puerto Rico, has no federal tax, and one can get 70 percent of normal social security
Worth noting that being a resident of puerto rico has odd tax rules. Like you dont pay federal tax, but that only applies to equities you purchase while you are a resident there. you cant claim residency to avoid taxes on gains from before.

When are they moving to up-front online pricing for these giga/tera factories? Any projections on price points?

There must be a sweet-spot price for the next level of commuter cars, but IDK. Guessing the adjustment could happen when an actual threat occurs as having the Fed Tax Credit advantage, but still waiting there.

If the sales price doesn't drop soon, demand is even better than I expected and buyers are STILL not the constraint.

Many were calling me the fool - close friends too.

At some point you would have had to bite it and pay more than you exited. That's the trap. I had 500 last year as well, sold some to buy 2 calls, but then sold the calls too and managed to convince myself it was OK to buy back at a higher price. All the data suggested this was the correct move, and it still does today.

Yes, I don't know how many times I was told I would lose all of my TSLA investment. Well I guess it worked out a little better than most of my friends, family, and so-called advisors thought.

Amazon had 3 stock splits in about a year back in 98 when they last did. There's nothing to stop the board from splitting soon again if they think it is wiser to do so.

Qualcomm had a 2:1 and a 4:1 split in the same year. I didn't start selling until after the second split.

Microsoft had 9 stock splits over a 16 year period between 1987 and 2003 (seven 2:1 and two 3:2). I held through all but the last one. It was pretty amazing to watch the share count grow over those years.:D

Reactions: FrankSG and Hock1