Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla, TSLA & the Investment World: the Perpetual Investors' Roundtable

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
MMD arrested at 09:40 AM @ $351.30 (SP over $380 at 10:10 AM)

TSLA.2020-09-24.10-00.png

Cheers!

I have a friend who works for an important consultant firm, and he's working on the European hydrogen strategy:
https://ec.europa.eu/energy/sites/ener/files/hydrogen_strategy.pdf
He tells me that utilities are stepping in, more than oil corporation.
From what I gather, hydrogen is DoA for private transport, but has still a lot of room for very energivore vehicles and plants: siderurgy and chemical industry, and even big ships like our beloved RoRo. The were working on hydrogen for Semi too (Nikola...) but that is now covered ;-)

As long as you can locally produce hydrogen with renewables, and then consume it there, I'm fine with that.

What advantage does hydrogen have over methane, propane etc made using renewable energy? Surely those are more energy dense, safer, less likely to destroy/embrittle pipes and storage.

Has this been shared yet?

"Reaction to Tesla battery day by a major Korean battery company insider: “We wouldn’t have been so nervous if Tesla announced a pie-in-the-sky plan such as solid state batteries. But what was announced looked like something they’re actually going to execute on, which is scary.”"

https://twitter.com/DisruptResearch/status/1308965825429172224

Guessing LG Chem. Can think of no other significant Korean battery companies.

What is interesting though, is if you look into the pricing, Tesla is willing to give an even greater deal with volume purchases.

2 Powerpacks: $101k each
3 Powerpacks: $93k each

Considering we're at about $120 / kWh cost (?), and assuming that 80% of the Powerpack's cost are the packs themselves (232kWh), the worst deal above for Tesla (3 Powerpacks @ $93k ea.) nets about $58.2k / 63% profit.

The buyer of a single Powerpack is giving Tesla a profit of $97k / 77%.

It’s not quite like that. Each Powerpack install includes a commercial-grade inverter in its own separate cabinet. You get one inverter per project (up to a certain size, don’t know the details), so the cost of the inverter gets split across the number of Powerpacks included in the project. But the margins are not as high as described. Tesla will always get better margins on their Powerwall installs.

Later edit: @mongo said it much clearer in his earlier post, which I hadn’t seen when I posted originally.

Last edited:
A presentation? Wish I’d thought of that. All I did yesterday was text ‘This is your last warning. Buy every ******* share you can and keep ******** buying!’ to every person I love and care about.

I did mention this months back, but feel its worth repeating...

I told my grown children that if they bought Tesla stock and then in the future they sold it at a loss I would pay to make up the difference I thought this was a great idea because I have done so well in Tesla it wouldn't matter to me if I had to give some back.
Worked out great! Now my children follow Tesla everyday because they did take me up on the offer.
I'm thinking of renewing it again.

Last edited:
Somewhere out there there is a bottomless pocket doing everything it can to keep TSLA from going green. WTF. Can't wait til these batteries get ramped up and all these Mofos die.
while $TSLA is relatively down, it seems to be tracking NASDAQ reasonably well today and unless it drops more my buying is on hold. I have a limit order in case it really drops while I'm not looking, but at this point I don't expect it to be filled.

On point here, there is no weirdo alien technology, just honest to goodness R&D with a goal of improving manufacturing efficiency, and battery output (range) and decreasing cost. This tech is not an app that sucks money from your pocket by showing cat videos. It is an actual large scale manufacturing process, and with the projected factories needed, there should be a capital expenditure raise coming soon.

The $5 billion raised earlier this month should be good for more than a few months, I would hope. It's not that they are going to build a capacity of 3 TWh in the blink of an eye. For 2022 they are predicting 100 GWh output. Considering that a facility as small as the Kato Road pilot plant will be able to produce 10 GWh per year, the capex required for the first few years should not be in the tens of billions.

One thing that surprises me about all the follow-up discussion on battery day. People keep talking about Tesla's goals and how they might not meet them at all if things don't go well, and how in any case it may take longer than they think.

What seems to be eluding people is that Tesla didn't discuss its goals at all. What Tesla presented were its plans along with estimates from engineering and manufacturing on when they could all be met. Note that the time estimates were for accomplishing all of the goals. Partial success, and complete success on some sub-goals has no doubt already been achieved. And, as goals are met the technology will find its way into vehicles and energy solutions.

What Tesla's actual goals are we have no idea, just that they are certainly more ambitious than the plans we heard about.

Well *sugar*, guess we missed that window. Nov20 $450's were $26 and I decided to get greedy and try to let the day unfold a bit. Again, today's me not even remotely listening to yesterday's me who said to buy at the opening dip.
I managed to grab a Jan 23 $400. before it went up. I did have some heartburn buying it though. My Tesla % is getting too heavy again.
It amazes me how many people dont get the Osborne effect
If you are thinking as a consumer vs investor and haven't seen it pointed out, then it's an understandable mistake. I corrected myself on this a bit. I had said not having a plaid to show off was a miss. I wasn't thinking it would have been an Osborn issue because of the price. But...now I believe the plaid will come with some sort of refresh and they didn't show it for a reason. They don't want S buyers to hold off hoping for the same cosmetic changes.