Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla, TSLA & the Investment World: the Perpetual Investors' Roundtable

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
update:

161cff0aa807117953547927eb1e48f2.png
Not sure why they say this is Tesla 'shifting their strategy for the plant to focus on supplying the Chinese market' (other than throwing shade/ implying demand issues). The plant was always going to serve a wider area.
From January 2019:
Twitter
Shanghai Giga output is just for greater China, not North America. Affordable cars must be made on same continent as customers.

Twitter
Shanghai Giga will produce affordable versions of 3/Y for greater China. All Model S/X & higher cost versions of Model 3/Y will still be built in US for WW market, incl China.

That doesn't arouse anymore. Profits secured. Growth intact;) Financials of Tesla are good.

True, when do you think we will see our first $1bn profit? Q4 this year?

Today I have mainly been devising strategies to protect my TSLA shares from the Spanish tax man. They take 3% of your personal wealth here every year and there are no personal tax efficient schemes you can use.

So I am thinking about setting up a holding company that will own the shares of my business and my TSLA shares. It will be slightly worse tax-wise if I ever sell the shares, but I can avoid the 3% wealth tax every year. Also means I could send my company dividends directly to buy more TSLA shares before paying income tax on them.

Anyway, my only point is to show that months ago I was concerned with creating wealth, now I am concerned with protecting it :)

That doesn't arouse anymore. Profits secured. Growth intact;) Financials of Tesla are good.

)

Other investors’ interest may be piqued if they see the PE ratio come down under 1000 this week, even if we have seen it coming.

Right now Tesla’s last 4 quarters of GAAP profit total $368 million.

This quarter’s profit will replace the Q3 2019 GAAP profit of $143 million.

If they beat that, TSLA will look better to potential investors who currently see a very rich valuation.

Not sure how much difference a PE ratio of around 800 would make to these investors though.

Starlink having the capability of serving fast moving objects all around the world makes the revenue potential almost infinite.

They better offer it to Tesla owners.
My guess is that Elon's initial succinct "Yes" response was based more on the idea of stationary usage once the truck was parked and the operator when then have need for high-bandwidth (catch up on his NetFlix watching, etc...)

While mobile tracking sat antennas are most likely workable for a vehicle the size of a semi, I doubt that's the initial application.

My guess is that Elon's initial succinct "Yes" response was based more on the idea of stationary usage once the truck was parked and the operator when then have need for high-bandwidth (catch up on his NetFlix watching, etc...)

While mobile tracking sat antennas are most likely workable for a vehicle the size of a semi, I doubt that's the initial application.
Starlink antennas are already tracking antennas. The ground speed of a truck is nothing when compared to orbital speed.

It's either a shift or there was an unspoken plan to use GF3 to supply Europe.
Tesla and Elon are Agile focused. Change based on new information is critical. If CATL is making faster expansion of Shanghai possible and margin expansion due to cheaper batteries, then expand Shanghai production faster than Fremont. MIC M3 margins should be amazing in Europe. Shift more USA production to Y from 3 to increase Fremont margins and possibly add some manual assembly if some automation kinks are still being worked out.
Looking forward to guidance for Q4, which is likely more important than earnings, unless earnings includes 1.93 billion in recognized tax deferments added to profit.

so Europe now part of greater China? ... :)
I believe you are being sarcastic, however most definitely yes, Europe is part of greater China. I live the The GTA (Greater Toronto Area) which includes areas greater than, or outside of, Toronto, like York and Peel regions. Shanghai cars to Europe was always the plan, until Berlin is capable of producing to fill the void. The "change of strategy" perpertrated by the media is simply FUD.

Last edited:
Reactions: mongo
Starlink antennas are already tracking antennas. The ground speed of a truck is nothing when compared to orbital speed.
Yes true. That's why I don't say it won't be done, but rather doubt it will be the initial application.

You can't simply toss one of those on a moving vehicle and expect it to work. it will likely take some additional engineering and packaging to make it capable of handling of being on something that can change it's orientation 180+ degrees in the matter of a few seconds.

The existing mount has limited azimuth range for instance. For that to work on a semi you'd either need something that can be oriented flat (a larger antenna with more gain) or something with greater range of artculation or fast reaction time (which I'm not sure the current system has).

So yes I agree it can be done. Elon has already said it will work on moving trains. I suspect a truck version capable of use when parked may come first.

(on edit: apologies for the OT posts. No more on this here from me)

Last edited: