Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla, TSLA & the Investment World: the Perpetual Investors' Roundtable

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
But only MMs can can manipulate with naked shorts. Let's say a large hedge funds wants to buy and has an interest to keep this low? How would they do this?
Many hedge funds are also MMs. The telltale today that this is shorting is the fibonacci spreads between up and dn moves. That's shortsellers rebuying at the lower price they just created, causing the SP to rise. They stop buying when the SP recovers to a setpoint, then resume selling (having pocketed the cash, they're ready to start another cycle).

Your cash money will be worth nothing if the existence as a viable country no longer exists.
I don't think things will get that bad any time soon. But if the market crashes, it will take all the good stocks down with the bad, just like it did back in 2000.

In any case, I still have a fair piece of change in TSLA, just not nearly as much as I did.

I'll be back in after this storm has passed. Investing for the long haul doesn't necessarily mean being fully invested all the time. Taking a break can be good for the soul.

I'm sure that those who bought my shares will take good care of them until I want them back. I don't necessarily expect to get them back for less money, just with less uncertainty surrounding our continued existence as a viable country.

Interesting. For what it's worth, I think there’s a chance you're right - I've been hedging for awhile now against that possibility with derivatives. There's also, however, a distinct significant possibility that the election isn't even close and that it's over on election night. I expect we'll get quite the relief rally if that happens, which is why I'm not selling - only hedging.

Also, kudos to you for being vocal about your sales on this forum.

I don't necessarily expect to get them back for less money, just with less uncertainty surrounding our continued existence as a viable country.

This is not a new thing. Some people of every generation have voiced concerns about "things going to hell in a handbasket" ever since we declared our independence as a nation. Every time there is a crisis, it seems really bad in the heat of the moment. Take two people: One might only see the positive while the other only sees the negative.

Thinking the very existence of America is in question is not a mindset that leads to being a successful investor. History has proven this time and time again. Things might seem bad, but no one can predict the end of a nation. It's no different than trying to predict the tops and bottoms of the stock market.

Successful investors are optimists. There's a reason for that. It works. Every person in human history who has ever predicted the imminent end of the world has been wrong. The same can be said about every person who thought America could not survive whatever the current crisis was.

From my brokerage's newsfeed - half hour ago:

CFRA RAISES OPINION ON SHARES OF TESLA, INC. TO STRONG BUY FROM BUY

11:30 am ET October 30, 2020 (CFRA) Print
We maintain a 12-month price target of $550, implying a '22 P/E of 95.7x. Our adjusted EPS estimates remain $2.30 for '20, $3.50 for '21, and $5.75 for '22. TSLA shares are trading more than 6% lower on Friday, reflecting broader tech weakness and what we believe are growing concerns regarding rising Covid-19 cases and the potential for future lockdowns in California. We view the selloff as a buying opportunity and raise our view to Strong Buy in light of two possible near-term catalysts. First, we believe TSLA will soon be added to the S&P 500 Index, which could prompt a wave of buying, noting the stock's 20% drop the day after the September rebalancing was announced. Second, in the event of a Biden victory on Tuesday, we think TSLA would be a big winner given his proposals would heavily subsidize electric vehicles and solar power. While the election outcome is uncertain, we note the popular betting exchange PredictIt is currently showing a 68% probability of a Biden win (up from 63% three days ago).

I sold off most of my TSLA today, sadly in the 380s and 390s. Knew I should have sold yesterday. Election jitters. My expectation is that Biden wins the actual vote easily, but Trump proceeds to try to engineer staying in office by various fraudulent means. Chaos ensues, at least until the inauguration. More blood in the streets. Plus COVID's going to hit >100K new infections per day in the US soon and get worse for quite a while.

I can't see being all in the market under such circumstances. I'll hold onto a few thousand shares of TSLA just because. I'm looking forward to paying massive amounts of taxes on this year's outsize gains. Strange days.
Where's the WOW button?

Well... thank you. My nets are out to capture some of your shares on the way down. Way way down.

I don't think things will get that bad any time soon. But if the market crashes, it will take all the good stocks down with the bad, just like it did back in 2000.

In any case, I still have a fair piece of change in TSLA, just not nearly as much as I did.
Don't think you need to justify your reasoning for selling shares. Everyone has their own strategy and all that matters is that you're comfortable with your decisions, which it seems you are. I've been buying shares for about a week now and plan to continue holding. Sure, I could've sold above 500 and pocketed some gains, but my conviction is both a blessing and a curse.

I sold off most of my TSLA today, sadly in the 380s and 390s. Knew I should have sold yesterday. Election jitters. My expectation is that Biden wins the actual vote easily, but Trump proceeds to try to engineer staying in office by various fraudulent means. Chaos ensues, at least until the inauguration. More blood in the streets. Plus COVID's going to hit >100K new infections per day in the US soon and get worse for quite a while.

I can't see being all in the market under such circumstances. I'll hold onto a few thousand shares of TSLA just because. I'm looking forward to paying massive amounts of taxes on this year's outsize gains. Strange days.
That is one way to play it. I think there is a reasonable chance of that happening. There is an equal chance of a clear cut victory (for either side) and it's over. So lets say the market takes a dive? Where do you buy? And in the case of all of these dives, there will be a rebound. All in all, you are trying to time the market. And overall, that is a losing strategy. You may be right this time. But I prefer to keep to the well tested, "time in the market" strategy for a stock like TSLA.

You provided good reasons why a fear driven herd of traders might be creating a panic bottom right now. Why would selling at a near-term low be wise? Do you plan to buy back when TSLA returns to an all-time high?

Be fearful when others are greedy, and greedy when others are fearful.
Warren Buffett

So many times have I made money on downward moves in TSLA, but this latest movement has me quite concerned. This move seems rooted in the dramatic rise in C19, and as election jitters both pre & post seem imminent. So, I have backed out of my IRA account positions in TSLA and will re-eval next week. Prudence. I'm willing to bet the potential gains against the greater likelihood of a plumet next week.

My two cents, not advice.

It happened many time on this forum that when someone post that they just sell off on the worst day, its the bottom or near the bottom. Like March, and few weeks ago when Naz went through a multi day sell off. So when I see post like that, it a buy signal for me but too bad I don't have any dry power left.

Looks like another month end sale. Pounced - buy and hodl
upload_2020-10-30_13-44-50.png

Reactions: Tslynk67
This is not a new thing. Some people of every generation have voiced concerns about "things going to hell in a handbasket" ever since we declared our independence as a nation. Every time there is a crisis, it seems really bad in the heat of the moment. Take two people: One might only see the positive while the other only sees the negative.

Thinking the very existence of America is in question is not a mindset that leads to being a successful investor. History has proven this time and time again. Things might seem bad, but no one can predict the end of a nation. It's no different than trying to predict the tops and bottoms of the stock market.

Successful investors are optimists. There's a reason for that. It works. Every person in human history who has ever predicted the imminent end of the world has been wrong. The same can be said about every person who thought America could not survive whatever the current crisis was.

HEAR! HEAR!

TSLA is down because the market is down. TSLA is down more than the market because it is a high-Beta stock and it usually goes up/down more than the market.

Indeed. In addition some traders may be selling their Tesla shares to buy Fisker (FSR +9.5%) on its first day of NYSE trading. Often those are quick in-and-out speculators. It's also the last trading day of the month, so TSLA might be adversely affected by money managers doing their window dressing.

Last edited: