Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla, TSLA & the Investment World: the Perpetual Investors' Roundtable

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Thread relevant election post.

Tesla was campaigning against an expanded right to repair law in Massachusetts that it lost by a wide margin. Not sure what this means, for either sales, or work Tesla needs to do. But presumably, all car manufacturers are in a sticky spot with this.

This is one of those things that makes very little sense, but the way it's worded makes it almost impossible for a measure like this lose on a ballot.

Massachusetts voters pass right-to-repair expansion opening up car data

Just NV and MI need to call and that's it...

NV won’t update count until tomorrow 9am PST.

Further, NV sent out mail-in ballots to every voter this year, which makes it a likely target for a legal challenge alleging voter fraud.

I’m expecting markets to be fairly clear-eyed about the results regardless of upcoming legal challenges/recounts, unless there is some kind of widespread civil unrest or an indication that the Supreme Court could do something out of character to change the results.

Thread relevant election post.

Tesla was campaigning against an expanded right to repair law in Massachusetts that it lost by a wide margin. Not sure what this means, for either sales, or work Tesla needs to do. But presumably, all car manufacturers are in a sticky spot with this.

This is one of those things that makes very little sense, but the way it's worded makes it almost impossible for a measure like this lose on a ballot.

Massachusetts voters pass right-to-repair expansion opening up car data

Having tried to repair a few Teslas, this is huge for the people that want to keep doing this. MA had been a trailblazer on right to repair, and if this did get squashed everyone would have been beholden to Tesla for pretty much all repairs.

The $7500 being re-extended to Tesla depends far more on the president then the senate. There is some bipartisan support for it. Trump was against it. I personally think it should be reduced to $3000 and apply to all vehicles with a 200 mile range no limits on income or production numbers. $3000 for 2021 reducing $500 a year till gone.

Further, NV sent out mail-in ballots to every voter this year, which makes it a likely target for a legal challenge alleging voter fraud.

I’m expecting markets to be fairly clear-eyed about the results regardless of upcoming legal challenges/recounts, unless there is some kind of widespread civil unrest or an indication that the Supreme Court could do something out of character to change the results.

A frivolous gesture since several states do that.

The $7500 being re-extended to Tesla depends far more on the president then the senate. There is some bipartisan support for it. Trump was against it. I personally think it should be reduced to $3000 and apply to all vehicles with a 200 mile range no limits on income or production numbers. $3000 for 2021 reducing $500 a year till gone.

While we are talking hypotheticals, I would like to see $10k refundable tax credit with only 1 lifetime credit per person. This would help get everyone who has never tried an EV an incentive to buy one and the impact of credits will gradually ramp down over time.

Quality of posts over the past several hours is deplorable.
That’s the nicest word of warning that will be forthcoming.

Mine included?

I’m genuinely asking your opinion here.

Okay, so I’ll take the no answer as a “Yes."

I had thought my posts as cogent, neutral, relevant and well written.

Yes, I know you are a moderator. I also appreciate the work you all do.

Still "deplorable" might not be the best term if you were aiming for "nice." On the receiving end it seems anything but particularly given its historical usage in a US national election.

And, yes, I’ll pipe down now, it’s not like I post much overall.

Please also PM me, I’m still curious what specifically you found so deplorable.

Yep I pointed out the NIO valuation earlier today, just makes no sense. I don't know how many more chances the S&P committee will get, maybe they expect the market to drop further because of the election uncertainty. But this might be their last chance before the next leg up!. I guess they don't care and likely don't understand the growth story for Tesla.

If the initial China sales number for October is accurate(13.5K) I think the Shanghai plant is humming and likely producing at a rate of 20K per month.

Nio just achieved 5000 EV production in one month: NIO Ramps Up EV Production To Over 5,000 A Month

GM sold ONLY 5,682 Bolts in all of Q3 2020. In Q3 2020, Chevrolet Bolt EV Sales In The U.S. Improved By 18%

Now, I'm not stating one way or another that Nio is valued appropriately (I have no idea, I don't keep up with other companies other than Tesla), but they do make cool cars that are selling in China, the Chinese gov't supports Nio, and China has a nationally-mandated EV strategy.

With the major major trading volume Nio has been getting (today alone almost 324 million shares traded), it's clear institutional investors have taken notice of Nio, just like they noticed Tesla this year. The markets see the writing on the wall, EVs are the future. We all know Tesla isn't going to supply 100% of EVs, other companies will come along and take market share, and I think that's what some institutional investors are betting on with Nio .

If someone held a gun to my head and made me throw $10K into, say, GM, F, FCA, or Nio, I'd probably pick Nio because they don't have the dead weight of stranded fossil-fuel assets hanging around their necks, an outdated dealership model, unions, useless supply chains, etc. Nio lives in an environment that supports them
politically and economically.

I think this bodes well for Tesla because Big Money is seeing the future and putting their money towards EVs. Would I rather see the money flowing into Tesla? Of course. But Tesla has had a major run this year, and I have little doubt TSLA will see another significant breakout within the year.

HODL

Nevada has signature validation. It's hard enough to match your wn.

for the US,
what is the uptake rate of ev’s versus uptake rate of residential solar?

what is more likely to be included in any potential bill? ev or solar clause...assuming the red side won’t approve both (also assuming they accept at least 1 of them)

Nevada seems super close. Ugh.

In NV, the current status reflects the count of Election Day votes only, today they're tallying the mail-in ballots, which would normally favour Biden. So not a done-deal, but he's strongly tipped to win. Results 9AM PT tomorrow. Beyond me why they don't count the mail-in votes before the election day, in parallel or immediately after...

PA is swinging back to Biden now - it was 700k in Trump's favour earlier in the day, that has been cut to 350k now.

Biden's lead in MI is now >1%, implying that a recount cannot normally be requested - and the mail-in votes, currently being counted, are 2-1 in Biden's favour.

GA & NC, close call, could go either way, Trump has a 1.5% 80k lead in both States, but there's still a few 100k to be counted in each, so if the 2-1 mail-in trend for Biden is upheld then might swing back, but will be really, really tight.

AP called it as a Biden win - does that count as official? Some websites indicate this, others not. So yeah, a bit unclear.

Not official but the AP is generally a fairly good benchmark. Fox also called it for Biden. But the AP and Fox get their statistics from the same pool and that's likely why both of them came to the same conclusion with their models. All the other networks have a separate shared pool of research.

It's theoretically not official until the secretary of each state declares a winner and the window of time allows for contesting the results passes. However most of the time its generally accepted before then.

Then again, this is 2020.