Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla, TSLA & the Investment World: the Perpetual Investors' Roundtable

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I have an idea: move storage batteries around the country where they're needed by Hyperloop or Boring tunnels instead of overbuilding the solar/storage complex. The batteries could travel from the South to North at night or from where it's sunny to where it's overcast. Haven't done the math but it might be a lot cheaper than transmission lines.
Well, I thought about downvoting this, but instead here’s another crazy idea. Have the boring company connect all of the superchargers with HVDC lines, then Tesla can control routing of renewable electricity across the country in any direction at all times of the day or night.:D

All the stocks in my portfolio that have been up because of the rise in tele-working are down hard today. Docusign down 10%, Zoom 16%, Teladoc 11%, Square 6%, OpenDoor (IPOB) 5%. I think this is stupid on the part of the market.
Remote work is going to stay. I’m reimagining return to work for thousands of sites. We will be deploying small conference room solutions to support smaller group sizes and won’t return the same even if it’s 100% safe. Large corporations will reduce real estate costs significantly and return to hotel work spaces will reduce space requirements by billions. The productivity win for business is huge and Zoom and Slack and Microsoft will continue to win. The bipolar cable media business acted like we will be vaccinated next week. If we’re lucky we will have front line people protected by spring. Digital and remote collaboration tools will do great. Tesla can also win big, if FSD is close to here, driverless taxis are a huge huge transformation tech and Covid winner.
Crazy to see Tesla down when 100% growth appears possible for 2021, margins are about to pop in Q4 and Tesla Energy will be a big winner under Biden.

Remote work is going to stay. I’m reimagining return to work for thousands of sites. We will be deploying small conference room solutions to support smaller group sizes and won’t return the same even if it’s 100% safe. Large corporations will reduce real estate costs significantly and return to hotel work spaces will reduce space requirements by billions. The productivity win for business is huge and Zoom and Slack and Microsoft will continue to win. The bipolar cable media business acted like we will be vaccinated next week. If we’re lucky we will have front line people protected by spring. Digital and remote collaboration tools will do great. Tesla can also win big, if FSD is close to here, driverless taxis are a huge huge transformation tech and Covid winner.
Crazy to see Tesla down when 100% growth appears possible for 2021, margins are about to pop in Q4 and Tesla Energy will be a big winner under Biden.
We just need NEW MONEY into this market. All the whales are too scared so we get nothing but just transitioning from one sector to another with the same money slushing around. Many people are trading where volatilities are to make money, so this week will be Covid recovery stocks.

I have an idea: move storage batteries around the country where they're needed by Hyperloop or Boring tunnels instead of overbuilding the solar/storage complex. The batteries could travel from the South to North at night or from where it's sunny to where it's overcast. Haven't done the math but it might be a lot cheaper than transmission lines.

If you locate batteries in the north they can be charged overnight by electricity from the south.

My suggestion is building transmission by dropping HVDC cables in the sea.

For Australia a HVDC backbone running Cairns to Adelaide would be an ideal start.

There is already talk of connecting Australia to Singapore and Indonesia via HVDC

So eventually connect that line to Darwin and eventually Darwin to Cairns -- possibly partially overland in that instance to connect good RE resources..

Seems to me in North America you could run Mexico to Canada up the East Coast and West Coast.

Well, I thought about downvoting this, but instead here’s another crazy idea. Have the boring company connect all of the superchargers with HVDC lines, then Tesla can control routing of renewable electricity across the country in any direction at all times of the day or night.:D

My suggestion would be Megacharger/Supercharger solar farms outside city limits and HVDC cables in Boring co tunnels bring electricity into city based Megacharger/Supercharger sites.

Boring co tunnels are most useful for getting out of the city and on to the highway.

In both locations city/solar farm Tesla can export electricity to the grid, Tesla has a level of redundancy that is independent of the grid.
I say this because Megachargers have to be 24x7x365 as far as possible, in fact it should be possible to reserve a Megacharge in advance, that means the reserved electricity stays in the battery, and is guaranteed to be there.

I'm aware land is expensive in the US, the Boring Co tunnel has to be long enough to tap into cheaper land. e.g. Rural Land..
By definition farming requires affordable land..

Forward Observing:

I may be late to the party here, but I like my steaks medium rare. Toyota is funny. My first toyota was in 1976, just after our son was born. In the late sixties/early seventies no auto maker thought toyota had a chance; after all, that funny little car manufactured in Germany was dominating the poolside unsinkable VW. Or, had the ability to cram a bunch of kids into a VW. GM, Ford etc., dominated the market back in those days.

I’ve had several toyota’s over the years, but once I can move on beyond my current truck; there will no longer be another toyota. Every time I turn around, the truck needs a service.

Funny ~ Lutz/Chevy dumped first all Electric car; Grandson Toyota later picking up the charge (Prius), get it charge:), but fails to pump up the volume.

Funny how manufacturers snivel and whine when fossil fuel is dwindling away ~ they strike out in the dark, hoping to hit something.

Without mentioning any names, ask yourself, which auto manufacturer is literally leading the charge on fully electric cars, charging stations, battery manufacturing, Gigafactories, and battery redevelopment. Toyota did solar cells on top of one version of Prius, but that did not last long.

Maybe Toyota needs to stay in their own lane and out of the kitchen:p Or, maybe it’s time to top off with a higher octane.:oops:

Us HODLers would be pretty happy for a repeat of the 5 year break followed by a 10x gain in a year.
I need to figure out how to make steady income from my TSLA holdings then. Maybe its time to learn how the Theta Gang works their magic.

My ultimate goal is early retirement and I need income of some sort so better start practicing now I guess. Covered calls is something I can learn how to do while I'm still working.

Or maybe just do wireless power transmission like Tesla (the man) was working on. Why isn't the new Tesla working on this?

New Zealand Is About to Test Long-Range Wireless Power Transmission

FSD is learning new things on the fly..

Nope.

It literally can't do that.

What the video shows is a guy approaching a 180 degree turn the first time with TACC set to 55 mph and it fails.

Then he approaches it 2 more times with TACC set at 30 mph and the car going slower and it works.

(switch to higher resolution on youtube if you can't make out the set speeds the first time)

Car is running the same code every single time.

The car does not and can not learn on its own.

It'd be a nightmare to ever troubleshoot anything if each car ran NNs with a ton of car to car differences.

All new behavior is from a complete firmware update, or a map update, sent by Tesla.

(green does a bit deeper dive on why that's the case, and the checksum type values that insure its the case, if you're further interested in this)

It was only day 1, the markets made all the easy calls. 70% of those calls will end up wrong and money will flow into more logical stocks.

Still......very surprising to have continued low volume. Let's see where we are Thursday.

Oh man if we rely on hospitals to distribute the vaccine to pt then we will be done after 20 years. Common place to get vaccines will be pharmacies and primary care facilities which are not equip with -80c freezers. And we know that FDA/Joint Commission are sticklers about this considering we have to do temperature logs in our hospital for all of our fridges daily so some cooler with some dry ice in it will not fly. Also we do not have a -80c freezer in our pharmacy of 800 bed hospital.

They can probably come up with some kind of special mobile travelling van that has the required freezer and can do immunizations.

Oh man if we rely on hospitals to distribute the vaccine to pt then we will be done after 20 years. Common place to get vaccines will be pharmacies and primary care facilities which are not equip with -80c freezers. And we know that FDA/Joint Commission are sticklers about this considering we have to do temperature logs in our hospital for all of our fridges daily so some cooler with some dry ice in it will not fly. Also we do not have a -80c freezer in our pharmacy of 800 bed hospital (might be elsewhere in the building).
Interestingly when I worked I a hospital, we had multiple-80c freezers.

Oh man if we rely on hospitals to distribute the vaccine to pt then we will be done after 20 years. Common place to get vaccines will be pharmacies and primary care facilities which are not equip with -80c freezers. And we know that FDA/Joint Commission are sticklers about this considering we have to do temperature logs in our hospital for all of our fridges daily so some cooler with some dry ice in it will not fly. Also we do not have a -80c freezer in our pharmacy of 800 bed hospital (might be elsewhere in the building).
https://www.grainger.com/product/49...ucid=N:N:PS:Paid:GGL:CSM-2295:4P7A1P:20501231

$12K. Cheap.

• Informative
Reactions: FireMedic
I need to figure out how to make steady income from my TSLA holdings then. Maybe its time to learn how the Theta Gang works their magic.

My ultimate goal is early retirement and I need income of some sort so better start practicing now I guess. Covered calls is something I can learn how to do while I'm still working.

I had the same idea back in July- to learn options to generate income while TSLA trades sideways (my portfolio is 100% TSLA, holding long term.)

This thread is dedicated to selling calls/ puts on TSLA to generate income:

https://teslamotorsclub.com/tmc/threads/applying-options-strategy-the-wheel-to-tsla.191290/page-54#post-5124555.

I’ve personally generated over $500k in the last 4 months selling calls and puts (mostly TSLA, and a few others), which allowed me to retire early in August. That’s working with a $1m brokerage account with margin.

I’ve also found this crash course incredibly helpful to learn option basics and selling strategy:
Options Crash Course: Ep #1 - The Source of All Strategies - Options Crash Course - tastytrade | a real financial network

I went the other direction and increased my risk by buying trading shares for the first time ever a little while back at $382.

I plan to sell them in the not too distant future to close on a disused 1958 log cabin (of what appears to be old growth cedar. It’s a small Pan Abode cabin: Pan Abode Cedar Homes) that I will restore and rent.

However, my strategy is less risky than it appears, imho. Here’s why:

I’ve lived many places in the US and interacted with people at different socioeconomic levels in my life. I understand what people on the many sides are trying to express with their sometimes less than articulate statements — and, perhaps more importantly, can ignore the words that the uncharitable would put in each other’s mouths.

I also have considerable confidence in our system of governance with good reason I believe.

So I am unmoved by the tearing of hair and rending of garments. I am quite sanguine about the stability of the country and markets despite occasional bouts of drama.

If I’m wrong, I may have to dip into my core shares.

This is an investment and also a project I will enjoy: It is not my primary dwelling.

If I am very wrong, I will walk away from the deal losing my earnest money and wait for the SP to recover. This is a slow close of 90 days. I’m guessing that the SPoon might bend in early December, but not really counting on it. (The recent S&P survey posted up thread and today’s walk down boost my confidence of this though).

I am personally more comfortable leveraging real estate than using margin for stock. Seems a shame to waste the opportunity for cheap money the Fed is offering, too.

As an aside to those who have asked about other investments besides Tesla, I will point out that I am investing in what I consider quality real estate (the cabin sits on a property that is rather nicely situated). I will also point out that, as with my Tesla investment, I have and continue to put in the effort necessary to understand what I am doing.

Not advice.
By the by, for those interested in holding their shares as long as possible yet leveraging them sooner than later, there are some interesting real estate loans out there.

You can get an asset depletion mortgage to buy a dwelling (at least primary). Your shares are not collateral, but counted as a way to pay back the loan. Alas, these just recently became loans that as I hear it must be jumbo loans from major lenders. Fannie Mae recently no longer considers IRA assets for compliant (non-jumbo) loans of this type.

Houses must be livable to get purchase mortgages. However, an unlivable property that is made livable within 90 days of purchase may be eligible for a purchase recovery loan which is essentially the same as purchase mortgage would have been. These too seem to need to be jumbo for major lenders nowadays. These can be second (third? whatever?) homes.

Were one to have experience renting properties, this may unlock further loan options.

Rates are of course at multigenerational lows.

The banks may now have tightened up lending even after the changes writ into law (driven by Elizabeth Warren I’ve been told) some years ago. Yet the Fed is flooding the market and the banks need places to lend.

Certain loans appear to be much harder to come by, such as buyout mortgages and, perhaps, home equity lines. Perhaps investors are wary of COVID forbearance.

All of this is fairly new to me. Interesting though.

Of course, I am merely a consumer and by no means a professional or expert. I just thought these morsels worth sharing.

Not advice. YMMV

My suggestion would be Megacharger/Supercharger solar farms outside city limits and HVDC cables in Boring co tunnels bring electricity into city based Megacharger/Supercharger sites.

Boring co tunnels are most useful for getting out of the city and on to the highway.

In both locations city/solar farm Tesla can export electricity to the grid, Tesla has a level of redundancy that is independent of the grid.
I say this because Megachargers have to be 24x7x365 as far as possible, in fact it should be possible to reserve a Megacharge in advance, that means the reserved electricity stays in the battery, and is guaranteed to be there.

I'm aware land is expensive in the US, the Boring Co tunnel has to be long enough to tap into cheaper land. e.g. Rural Land..
By definition farming requires affordable land..

I like it! Have all the superchargers/megachargers connected via an underground HVDC grid backbone provided by TBC, with solar farms along the southwest to souteast corridor providing power to the batteries. This can circumvent the regional grids without frequency sync issues. Not sure what the resistive losses would be though, since resistance is a function of thickness, length, and temperature of the conductors.

• Informative
Reactions: capster