Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla, TSLA & the Investment World: the Perpetual Investors' Roundtable

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
You've been saying this for months, but it's not accurate. I've explained this in my blog posts, but Rob Maurer has done the best job of explaining why this is simply not true.

If what you explain here was accurate, S&P 500 index funds would sell off stocks en masse after great earnings (to keep weight the same), and then rebuy en masse after the rebalancing. This would create massive, needless volatility and complexity.

S&P weights and quarterly rebalancings are only to account for changes to the public floats of the stocks in the index (share buybacks, share offerings, etc.).

I really wish the two groups on either side of this discussion would get a room and figure out what the answer is. It can’t be both and this isn’t a grey area. I’d actually like to know which is correct.

Okay. No. I don’t actually care about the answer, but I would like to update my forum members graph of who’s been right the most vs who’s been wrong the most.

FYI, if @Johan ends up buying the beer today I’ll be sitting on a 100 bagger. Now where is that obnoxious fellow who posted I’d be on the losing end of things if I held? Oops! Did he disappear months ago along with his options advice? Ahahaha —

CNBC now running with the story of Elon personally leaving California, and turning it into "Tesla is moving to Texas!"

That's not the case from my understanding, no?

This is going to happen. I cannot share who and when I was told, but Tesla HQ will move to Austin. Fremont manufacturing will remain open and unchanged. Bulk of management staff will move to Austin. I don't know anything about the design center staff in Hawthorne.

Here is today's TSLA Tech chart as of 09:30 EST:

Note
: Upper-BB (Red curve in chart) was $656.14 at the Open.

sc.TSLA.50-DayChart.2020-12-07.09-30.png

Cheers!

Well good morning TSLA.

This is going to happen. I cannot share who and when I was told, but Tesla HQ will move to Austin. Fremont manufacturing will remain open and unchanged. Bulk of management staff will move to Austin. I don't know anything about the design center staff in Hawthorne.
I don't know about you guys but I'm so sick of hearing about this. I swear that half of the internet has been milking this for clicks for the past 6 months. People only care because there is a political angle with people who "hate" California. I get his thought process. 13.3% state capital gains vs 0% (I think that's right) That will be huge on a hundred billion dollar fortune at some point. It's probably more about the regulations and red tape overall though.

CA has high taxes and strict gun control laws. TX won't let people buy Teslas and puts people in cages for smoking a harmless plant. Both suck in their own way, and both are nice in their own way. /rant ;)

Correct. Also, as far as I'm aware, Elon's moving to Texas is also not confirmed.

Not confirmed, but I’d bet money he will. And while I don’t think Tesla will leave California, I can see operations substantially moving to Texas and California being a secondary/also ran location. I’d bet on that too.

Last edited:
I really wish the two groups on either side of this discussion would get a room and figure out what the answer is. It can’t be both and this isn’t a grey area. I’d actually like to know which is correct.

Okay. No. I don’t actually care about the answer, but I would like to update my forum members graph of who’s been right the most vs who’s been wrong the most.
Personally I find it about the only useful thing going on in this forum Friday close up till 7 minutes ago. I would greatly prefer if they did come up with an answer! But it's kind of important, so let's let it roll.

These brokerages need to get their crap together. RH is down, IBKR is down, Vanguard is slow and wonky. Come on, they have had months to deal with the influx of people working from home and gambling with stonks.

Since so many are down, I made an easy calculator so you can see how much money you are making. X * Y = Z Where X is your number of shares, Y is the % gain for today, and Z is your gains. You are welcome :D

CNBC now running with the story of Elon personally leaving California, and turning it into "Tesla is moving to Texas!"

That's not the case from my understanding, no?

I’ve been watching to see if we get a substantial uptick in FUD as a possible clue that some kind of substantial effort to limit TSLA’s move up, or even reverse it for a time, is in motion.

Was CNBC spinning the discussion in a harsher light than their recent norm (beyond the narrative itself implying some risk/instability)?

So far, the only new FUD I see this morning is Rick Newman’s 3 reasons we didn’t pick Tesla as our company of the year piece on Yahoo Finance.