Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla, TSLA & the Investment World: the Perpetual Investors' Roundtable

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Partial background: Over the last 3-4 years, I've evolved from committing 30%-40% into TSLA to being "all-in". For me, all-in has since evolved from 100% HODLing to adding leverage. I converted 16% of my TSLA to Jan 2021 calls shortly after S&P inclusion was announced and made bank. This is my last time playing the craps table (i.e, short term calls).

Two weeks ago, I put 15% of my total into Jan 2023 $900 LEAPS. TSLA has increased 21% since then while the calls are already up 80%. Just wild.

Confession: After seeing that Chamath video, I admit to being gripped by FOMO. It's the same feeling Ron Baron gave me back in 2016 that was the final push to buying shares.

Question: I'm ready to plunk another 5%-10% into Mar 2023 OTM LEAPS. Are we in another once-in-a-lifetime 2-3 year run? Not so much like 2020, but maybe a 2x-3x over a 24-36 month period (like Gene Munster said recently)?

My thought process is: Over a 24 month period, TSLA is as close to a certain success as anything can be. The Jan 2023 $900s seemed like such a no-brainer and indeed were very cautious. What's the big deal with going $1100-$1300 for March 2023, right? I can certainly afford to lose it at this point.

Thoughts appreciated. Talk me down from the ledge.
You can still obtain leverage going DITM. Many have said "I can certainly afford to lose it" but then have to endure an extreme level of stress to get through it to the other side.

How much money has to be plowed into TSLA for the stock to increase 40B? Is it the same amount, I’ve read online that 1M in investments from retail investors with no sellers would make the stock appreciate of around 7 to 8M. Has someone read and can confirm this?
Lol, you don't need to read this, you can calculate it simply (anyone with 1st Year Microeconomics should be capable of this).

The Market Cap is X. Shares outstanding is Y. SP in equilibrium is X/Y.

Add $40B to capital: (X+40)/Y = New SP

Taduh!

• Funny
Reactions: Discoducky
Nowhere near all my shares. Just 5-10% this time. Even coming close to risking my financial security is something I'd be ashamed of.

I should have done that too, but I was swept up in the euphoria of the ATM at the time, Model 3 had just launched, what could go wrong? My expectation was to ride the wave up holding leaps and swap back to shares when the run was over.

However, a sharp drop happened in just a short time and before I realized it my leaps were at 1/3rd of what I had paid. At that time I decided instead of getting out to ride it out (they were leaps). That was wrong, I should have sold at a loss. Eventually they recovered enough that I rolled them to buy myself more time.

• Informative
Reactions: Zero CO2
Can't agree with this. While the percentage may not be as great, shareholders will be greatly rewarded for staying in TSLA. It's market cap is <$800B. Do you think it's not going to worth trillions someday?

Adding on - since I thought 10x from the low 400s yesterday (seems like yesterday anyway :D), then that still leaves 5x from here... all by 2030.

I'm starting to sound like a bear, with only a $4T market cap on the horizon.

Keep in mind how Elon is already putting rocket thrusters on the options list for the Roadster.

Tesla cars will be autonomous flying cars in ten years... and, they will fly in and out of tunnels too. :cool:

Just don't let him contract the Sirius Cybernetics Corporation for their GPP tech, please.
Or at least everyone in the Neuralink Matrix will think they are...

Last edited:
  • Funny
Reactions: capster and 2daMoon
I believe it's called "confirmation bias".
Indeed, it's one of the seven deadly sins for investors:
  • Confirmation Bias
  • Loss Aversion
  • Gambler's Fallacy
  • Availability Cascade
  • Framing Effect
  • Bandwagon Effect
  • Dunning-Kruger Effect
Luckily, once we invested in TSLA, we can just HODL :D

New Intraday High just now:

sc.TSLA.10-DayChart.2021-01-07.14-35.png

TSLA is still the most heavily shorted stock on the market, active S&P funds still haven't even started buying based on volume, and anyone who had any serious desire to sell did so during the S&P inclusion..
And volume today isn't ridiculous either; nobody selling, only HODL

Lol, you don't need to read this, you can calculate it simply (anyone with 1st Year Microeconomics should be capable of this).

The Market Cap is X. Shares outstanding is Y. SP in equilibrium is X/Y.

Add $40B to capital: (X+40)/Y = New SP

Taduh!

The question was $ into TSLA (net purchasing), not dollars into Tesla (asset increase).
How much money has to be plowed into TSLA for the stock to increase 40B? Is it the same amount, I’ve read online that 1M in investments from retail investors with no sellers would make the stock appreciate of around 7 to 8M. Has someone read and can confirm this?

Today has been 40 million shares and a $55 share price increase. Maximum new money (high-low * shares) is < $2.22 Billion, yet market cap is up ~$52 billion ($55 * 950m shares).

The sale of one share sets the stock price which sets the market cap.

Can anybody on this board explain to me how we can have millions of flying cars safely above our heads. Elon doesn't understand how flying cars can work either. There is only one person and company talking about TUNNELS. i can just see 5 years from now the bears slaming The Boring Company and keeping the stock low just like Tesla. Most of the big money has already been made in Tesla. Go Boring Company the next 20 bagger.
Yes, but can we discuss in another thread please? We've got a whole forum for topics like that.

Partial background: Over the last 3-4 years, I've evolved from committing 30%-40% into TSLA to being "all-in". For me, all-in has since evolved from 100% HODLing to adding leverage. I converted 16% of my TSLA to Jan 2021 calls shortly after S&P inclusion was announced and made bank. This is my last time playing the craps table (i.e, short term calls).

Two weeks ago, I put 15% of my total into Jan 2023 $900 LEAPS. TSLA has increased 21% since then while the calls are already up 80%. Just wild.

Confession: After seeing that Chamath video, I admit to being gripped by FOMO. It's the same feeling Ron Baron gave me back in 2016 that was the final push to buying shares.

Question: I'm ready to plunk another 5%-10% into Mar 2023 OTM LEAPS. Are we in another once-in-a-lifetime 2-3 year run? Not so much like 2020, but maybe a 2x-3x over a 24-36 month period (like Gene Munster said recently)?

My thought process is: Over a 24 month period, TSLA is as close to a certain success as anything can be. The Jan 2023 $900s seemed like such a no-brainer and indeed were very cautious. What's the big deal with going $1100-$1300 for March 2023, right? I can certainly afford to lose it at this point.

Thoughts appreciated. Talk me down from the ledge.

I'm the same way..been staring at leaps for a bit and just trying to make the right move. It's already cost me. I'm thinking ITM is more on the mark..there will potentially be some consolidation ahead.