Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla, TSLA & the Investment World: the Perpetual Investors' Roundtable

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Elon's fork photo was used in an essay a few years ago discussing forking Bitcoin.

Regarding SR option being removed, I was contacted on Friday about an old LR RWD Model Y reservation I had. Sales told me I could switch my order to SR or AWD for delivery in a "few weeks" and that they did not know when LR RWD would be made. Seemed to suggest it was still going to be made in the future, but no timeline given. I told them to switch me to AWD and they said I'd be able to keep the FSD pricing the same as at the time of reservation. Sales said they were passing on my order change. My account still lists LR RWD, almost 48 hours after they were supposed to change it. *shrugs*

• Informative
Reactions: FireMedic and MC3OZ
It’s all perfectly clear now.

1F9E82AA-4694-4927-AEDF-57233912FF15.jpeg

Maybe dropping the price was the last ditch effort to increase demand for that model, and it didn't work. (I don't think Elon even wanted to make it in the first place because he thinks you need to have 250 miles of range as a minimum.) So making the SR may have just been to keep the "promise" that was made when it was originally announced.
There you go @Krugerrand

It's not that simple.

The article starts out be describing how:
1) back in 2008 Lehman Brothers issued a public apology for having a 5-person team issue a 60-page report that turned out to be plagiarized,
2) at about the same time 1 of these team-members (namely Gordon Johnson) left Lehman Brothers to instead work for a much smaller company, and
3) Gordon Johnson had in fact been fired for being responsible for the plagiarism.

The article's author then goes on to explain that after a series of phone conversations with Gordon Johnson, the author came to doubt that the allegation was worth the trouble that Johnson claimed he was consequently having...

So point 3) is disputed by Johnson - and the article's author has retracted their initial conclusion regarding 3), based on this dispute by Johnson.

That's really not much clearing of a name.

Further, points 1) + 2) are _not_ disputed, nor is an alternative explanation given for how or by whom the plagiarized report was produced.

So I think there is every reason to look into whether Gordon Johnson has the legally required credentials to provide investing advice to the public.

Gordon Johnson has never exaggerated the truth.

can someone who has seen this doc that Elon seems to have meant for people to discover tell me what they think the potential $tsla reaction would be? It kinda feels like hes poking the bear real hard right now

edit: it appears hes trying to suggest that was not what he was refering to. but im sure everyones on youtube right now watching it

But then why offer the SR in the first place? And even more importantly, why drop the SR price a few days ago knowing that it was on the way out?

Edit: Also note that removing the SR Y goes against what Elon has been saying for months now: Teslas are too expensive and they need to bring the price down.

It is likely that the Q1 Model Y order book is now full.

Tesla is probably hoping some intended Q1 SR Model Y buyers covert to a Q1 SR Model 3.

Sometimes demand lever work too well, but the aim for Q1 was to sell all Q1 production with cars that can be delivered.

Complicating factors were:-
  • Possible short-term cell supply issues?
  • Winter storms impacting on shipping logistics?
  • Q1 lower seasonal demand
  • Looming tax credit.
For Q2, most of those factors no longer exist, unless the tax credit legislation drags on for a long time,.

My best guess is SR Model Y might come back with 4680 cells, and closer to 300 miles of range, at a suitable time in the future.

We don't know what is happening with Panasonic ramping additional additional cell production and 4680 cell production at Nevada.
But if we speculate that at some time in the future Panasonic and Tesla will be producing sufficient 4680 cells for all vehicles.
When that happens we will see more stability in variants produced, and likely more variants...
More variants does complicate delivery logistics, but more factories tends to cancel that out, with 4 factories producing Model Y and Model 3, it is likely we will have more choice.

That is where Tesla is heading, short term they take the odd detour, as circumstances change.

Last edited:
Speaking of Tesla AI, has anyone explored how Tesla's AI tools will cross over into other industries? It seems natural that the vision tools will be useful for a vast array of other technologies.
I'm hoping Waymo, Nvidia and Intel all hit insurmountable obstacles in their path to full autonomy and OEMs all have to go, hat in hand, to Tesla for autonomous services. I want zero bandwidth remaining for anything else, 'cause you know, I don't want to miss ZEV credits down the road.

• Funny
Reactions: Hrtme