Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla, TSLA & the Investment World: the Perpetual Investors' Roundtable

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Is it indicative of the level of threat the Mach-e is posing, that I’ve seen a grand total of 1 in the Bay Area so far..?

Entire first year of production going to the US is only about 20,000 cars... They'll easily sell every one (and would likely sell a lot more if they had, say, realized batteries would be an important thing to secure a lot of years ago).

New non-crap EVs aren't a threat to Tesla, they're a threat to ICE vehicles... EV demand is higher than supply will be for a long time to come.

Musk Metals bought the Elon mining site. Listed trolling.

Shares of Canadian miner Musk Metals pulled back Wednesday after a more than 50% surge following the company's deal to acquire a prospective lithium property named "Elon".

Link to Article

Edit: to be clear, this appears to be purely an overlap of naming - No link to Elon.

This is currently showing on my yahoo news feed.
View attachment 647587
Basically Tesla said if you wire your BitCoin to a wrong person, don’t come to us and ask for a car.

And this can make it to news headlines... peak FUD I would say.
A customer wiring a Bitcoin transaction transfer to the wrong recipient cannot be reversed.

my headline would get no clicks. Informative. No clickbait.

what FUD world are we in. Who wants the SP so low to give us the opportunity to buy more, more and more, just before take off.

Last edited:
One very important fact about bitcoin is that it allows you to take responsibility for your own finances.
When the banks tell you that you need them to keep you safe, you do, if you can’t take this responsibility yourself.
Personally, I would rather be responsible for myself than accept all the baggage that comes with believing that I am unable to do so.
However, there are people who need to be protected from themselves making mistakes, and the banks are there to take care of them.

As a practical matter, I would never transfer more than a few hundred dollars in bitcoin without sending a very small amount first to verify the address I want to remit to… Then I can be very confident if I copy and paste that same address for the larger transfer. This verification is worth the cost of one extra transfer fee of maybe $10

I didn't try the BTC-Koolaid and along with my strong belief that banks and the financial sector has to be regulated (by something other than a paper tiger) I have these doubts about BTC:
1) The transaction overhead in terms of energy is very high - a problem for everyone but especially for a company trying to make the World sustainable - also wrt. PR,
2) BTC may not formally be seen as a currency, regardless it certainly has the equivalent of currency risk (and a lot of it too),
3) Faced with currency risk Tesla's accumulation of BTC can only be interpreted as their belief that it's value will go up - i.e. it's an investment bet, something which seems unrelated to Tesla's business plan,
4) Some BTC proponents like to contrast BTC with 'fiat money' - forgetting the fact that the government that backs its 'fiat money' has both an army for external threats and tax collectors (also ultimately backed by state-sanctioned violence). Compared with that, a crypto-currency is the ultimate faith-based (i.e. fiat) money, it is nothing but an algorithm and some open-source software with the support of no one,
5) A government will legislate to protect itself and to some extent the state and sometimes also its citizens - and passes laws it sees fit for this purpose. Such laws include 'legal tender' laws that heavily regulate methods and mediums of payment. As such, BTC has the risk of being outlawed (regardless of what many voters may prefer) if it is deemed too much of a competition to the legal tender (e.g. triggered by a loss of VAT revenue),
6) Because of their nature (see 4) - anybody can come up with a crypto-currency - so in that sense it is a bit like a pyramid-scheme, if you start one you make off like a bandit and if you come in late you end up as a bag-holder. So there is the risk to BTC that some competing crypto-currency (maybe a less energy-intensive one) will take away its market-share - which is one reason why there are so many crypto-currencies,
7) Although BTC is seen by some (and you seem to be included) as a way to revolt against the established, state-backed monetary system, it is entirely possible that a state will introduce its own crypto-currency, not just because of several of the preceding arguments, but also because it has the potential to lower transaction overhead. This increases the risk that BTC becomes out-lawed or out-competed,
8) As for transaction cost, Tesla's introduction of BTC seems to be a solution in search of a problem. I paid my Model 3 with a bank transfer - which EU regulation mandates must be free of a fee (which it thus was),
9) There are additional arguments against BTC, such as it being very popular among Internet-scammers - and the question, why should widespread adoption of this payment system make some unknown person(s) 'Satoshi Nakamoto' into what is likely a trillionaire? For the people objecting to the current financial system, that's just like toppling one dictator just to put another one into power.

I will not be disappointed if this post is moderated away, my point being that it is just too easy to formulate a lot of critical questions regarding BTC - especially in relation to Tesla.

Has anyone actually put a window of time on the MMD? On average? Or are people just watching candlesticks in the morning and waiting for inverted hammers, etc.?
If it's a typical MMD day, then you're pretty safe buying around 730 PST / 1030 EST. Some days the exact bottom is ~15 minutes to either side of that, but you wouldn't be unhappy buying at the half hour. Of course, there are days like today where even though there was a MMD around that 730/1030 time, we dropped much lower later in the day.

I didn't try the BTC-Koolaid and along with my strong belief that banks and the financial sector has to be regulated (by something other than a paper tiger) I have these doubts about BTC:
1) The transaction overhead in terms of energy is very high - a problem for everyone but especially for a company trying to make the World sustainable - also wrt. PR,
2) BTC may not formally be seen as a currency, regardless it certainly has the equivalent of currency risk (and a lot of it too),
3) Faced with currency risk Tesla's accumulation of BTC can only be interpreted as their belief that it's value will go up - i.e. it's an investment bet, something which seems unrelated to Tesla's business plan,
4) Some BTC proponents like to contrast BTC with 'fiat money' - forgetting the fact that the government that backs its 'fiat money' has both an army for external threats and tax collectors (also ultimately backed by state-sanctioned violence). Compared with that, a crypto-currency is the ultimate faith-based (i.e. fiat) money, it is nothing but an algorithm and some open-source software with the support of no one,
5) A government will legislate to protect itself and to some extent the state and sometimes also its citizens - and passes laws it sees fit for this purpose. Such laws include 'legal tender' laws that heavily regulate methods and mediums of payment. As such, BTC has the risk of being outlawed (regardless of what many voters may prefer) if it is deemed too much of a competition to the legal tender (e.g. triggered by a loss of VAT revenue),
6) Because of their nature (see 4) - anybody can come up with a crypto-currency - so in that sense it is a bit like a pyramid-scheme, if you start one you make off like a bandit and if you come in late you end up as a bag-holder. So there is the risk to BTC that some competing crypto-currency (maybe a less energy-intensive one) will take away its market-share - which is one reason why there are so many crypto-currencies,
7) Although BTC is seen by some (and you seem to be included) as a way to revolt against the established, state-backed monetary system, it is entirely possible that a state will introduce its own crypto-currency, not just because of several of the preceding arguments, but also because it has the potential to lower transaction overhead. This increases the risk that BTC becomes out-lawed or out-competed,
8) As for transaction cost, Tesla's introduction of BTC seems to be a solution in search of a problem. I paid my Model 3 with a bank transfer - which EU regulation mandates must be free of a fee (which it thus was),
9) There are additional arguments against BTC, such as it being very popular among Internet-scammers - and the question, why should widespread adoption of this payment system make some unknown person(s) 'Satoshi Nakamoto' into what is likely a trillionaire? For the people objecting to the current financial system, that's just like toppling one dictator just to put another one into power.

I will not be disappointed if this post is moderated away, my point being that it is just too easy to formulate a lot of critical questions regarding BTC - especially in relation to Tesla.
Excellent comment. It is #3 that concerns me from a business point of view.

Reactions: tschmidty
Picked up 25 chairs on today's climb. Not surprised if we don't see the 700 again this week (echo'd). I've been trading the same 50 In/Out for weeks now... which is why I think 650-700 has been the day-trader's delight.

Q1 P&D (delivery) numbers are nearing and that adds to the Beta I think. An Investment Banker at Chase yesterday explained to me about Beta bc all my investments have high Beta which drives him nuts, lol (TSLA, ARCK, a little GBTC, and cash). Like every one of my friends, they think I'm just lucky and I should get out now... as I reply "And invest in what?"
Umm, the folks advising against investing in things whose prices are a bit jumpy, would they be from some of the organizations jerking those prices around unnecessarily? 🤔 /s

I counter all of your legitimate concerns with "risk reward".

You/me/Tesla puts 1, 3, 5, 10, etc percent of our total worth in Bitcoin.

20% Probability of total loss. Risk is likely overstated here but let's play conservative.
25% Probability of paper devaluation / sideways movement, opportunity cost for years.
40% Probability of appreciation that beats inflation and other alternative investment vehicles.
15% Probability of BTC going completely bonkers to the upside. Where BTC is so expensive, that Satoshis are used for measurement 100 million satoshis per Bitcoin. What if a Satoshi is worth a penny? A nickle? A Dime? A Dollar?

Looking at the outcome probabilities, Tesla can't afford to NOT be in Bitcoin.

Ugh. Just when it looked like they were starting to put together a rally, someone pulled the rug out and they tumbled to a 30+ point loss. This is way too good a team to stay down for long, so loyal season ticket holders will eventually be rewarded once they break out of this slump. While the press may be quick to bash the home team, knowledgeable league insiders see them regaining their glory before season's end.

Today
Score: 630.27
Margin of W/L: -31.89
Attendance: 33,795,174

Season
Record: 27-29
Total margin in wins: 670.09
Total margin in losses: -745.49
YTD gain/loss: -75.40 -10.68%
Avg margin of victory: 24.82
Avg margin of defeat: -25.71
Best Win: 110.58 2021-03-09
Worst Loss: -68.83 2021-01-11
Last 10: 5-5
Streak: L2

A few of your points are directly related to Tesla so I will restrict my comments to those in respect for this forum.
I am not a bitcoin expert. I am merely interested and curious about it.

1. Your first point about the energy use is often raised as a condemnation of Tesla, as if it is contrary to their mission. Please research this question thoroughly if you want to find the truth about it. My research tells me that alternative energy is the cheapest available today, and bitcoin mining will always gravitate toward cheap energy. Also, to me it is obvious that the global fiat financial infrastructure uses vast energy, far in excess of bitcoin mining. Who ever cared about or quantified fiat energy use before?

3. I don't agree that Tesla moved to bitcoin as an investment bet, other than in the sense that it does not have a politically engineered deflationary bias like sovereign fiat does.

Michael Saylor engaged with Musk briefly on twitter, and many credit him with Musk's/Tesla's interest in it. He does make a good case for BTC vis a vis fiat, but I doubt he was the fundamental instigator for Tesla's or Musk's actions concerning it.

8. Transaction costs do matter sometimes.
However bitcoin is a global currency. It looks to have great positive potential for Tesla's foreign exchange dealings.
Tesla has $20B in cash, and M2 is growing at more than 20% annually. They are taking a hit at about $4B each year.
For reasons of their own, the US decided to end their reports of M3 last month. It comprises M2 plus long term investments.

Investing only 8% of the $20B, Tesla increased its store of value in only a few months by about $1B rather than losing 350M of the same 8% sitting idle. Bitcoin has no guarantees, but fiat does. It will certainly devalue. Bitcoin value has increased by 200% annually on average over 12 years, Look at the US M2 over thee same period: US M2 Growth, 1960 – 2021 | CEIC Data. M2 sits at about $19.2T

As I say, I am no expert. What I see is not encouraging for fiat. I'm glad to be an investor in Tesla's strategy.

Last edited:
Mods are gonna need to start personally messaging me when they arbitrarily delete my posts~~~~~[deleted material].....There are very few ways faster to be put on permanent vacation than by telling Moderators what they have to do~~~~~
Jackass, this is a comically bad way to handle what I said and your censorship proves my point.

Bye for another 9 months or so.
Best wishes to all who deserve it!

It isn't garbage at all. He's just reaffirming TSLA will soar within ~12 months but choppy results in the short term could cause the market to punish the stock more than it already has.

This is what I've actually believed could happen since December. I also suspect the uncertainty is why the forecast was vague on the Q4 earnings call.

It's also why I bought Jan 2023 LEAPS earlier and resisted the siren call of earlier expiration dates.
I've been fighting off this lull/push down by buying some lottery ticket LEAPs for june 2022

Jackass, this is a comically bad way to handle what I said and your censorship proves my point.

I don't want to be a part of a society that let's douchebaggery like this go un-banned. Send this clown to the showers!

tenor.gif

Probably the headline is overly dramatic, but it is true that unlike a credit card payment (and in many cases also a bank transfer) a mistaken BTC transfer is impossible to reverse. I would guess that someone who has anough BTC to buy a Tesla already knows this, but the fact remains that normal consumer protection is absent for a BTC payment.

There is no protection, but do you mean reverse as in remove the net effect, or reverse as in cancellation such that it never happened? If the former, is it only impossible if the mistaken recipient is uncooperative? Otherwise, it seems they can do an equivilent transaction back to the sender with only transaction fees being lost in the process.