Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla, TSLA & the Investment World: the Perpetual Investors' Roundtable

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Today's action looks like a classic head fake to me. Reminds me of the day after S&P inclusion announcement when the stock was up, but not skyrocketing. To that end, I took a flyer on some June '21 OTM call options.

My dilemma is I'm not sure if they're capping to try and protect the 700 Call wall or are they just positioning to try and protect the 750 Calls be limiting the rise today.

If they really are trying to protect the 700 Calls, then I'm better off to just sell at the current share price since the value of the calls will decay pretty quickly. On the other hand, if they're really just trying to protect the 750 Calls, I could see the stock moving up another 4-5% tomorrow before they cap and then try and walk down for the rest of the week. If that scenario, a 4-5% rise (even a 2% rise), would more than make up the value decay of the options.

So decisions decision. If we get a nice pop in the last hour to 710-715, I'll likely sell the Calls and buy shares with the proceeds

Here in Europe it is obvious that big oil is working very hard on trying to make hydrogen a success, in order for them to survive.
A lot of promotion on Linked-in, making sure that hydrogen production goes into the programs of political parties, subsidising a professor on university of technology who promotes hydrogen etc.
Politicians fail to comprehend (or do not want to comprehend) the simple calculations that show that hydrogen is ridiculous for transport. :mad:
Even when Brussels has blocked European subsidy for hydrogen projects because it will mean a lot extra CO2 production.
Big oil has a lot of money in their pockets and they are using that fully to survive. :(
If anyone wants a full primer on hydrogen across all its potential uses listen to the Energy Transition Show podcast episodes 142 and 143 (3 hrs on hydrogen). Highly recommended but there is a subscription fee for the full episodes. Best energy transition podcast you will find but it can be nerdy. If you want to know about your Tesla investment in the bigger picture of energy transition that podcast is gold.

Too long didn't listen: Hydrogen has a tough battle in the areas I actually thought it could win (high heat industrial processes for instance). Hydrogen is dead for most forms of transport except maybe long haul shipping and long haul aviation and even there there are considerable issues (eg the storage volume required is 3x current fuels so commensurate loss of cargo space). Ammonia is a better storage of hydrogen but toxic as hell. Green hydrogen (hydrogen from green energy) does not really exist yet and well, it has to be green or what is the point?

BoA Global Research - Neutral @ $900 PO: "Yes, TSLA’s 1Q:21 deliveries more than doubled YoY (and production increased 76% YoY), which is commendable. However, the growth rate appears much less pronounced when looking on a QoQ basis, up just about 2%"

Why thank you my trusted advisor. /s

"TSLA’s outlook for a more than 50% YoY increase in deliveries in 2021 implies a unit level of 750k+ ... Assuming TSLA’s outlook is somewhat correct (if not, potentially conservative) suggests that QoQ increases from this point may be just very modest, which we do not think will be perceived very constructively by the investment community"

If anyone wants a full primer on hydrogen across all its potential uses listen to the Energy Transition Show podcast episodes 142 and 143 (3 hrs on hydrogen). Highly recommended but there is a subscription fee for the full episodes. Best energy transition podcast you will find but it can be nerdy. If you want to know about your Tesla investment in the bigger picture of energy transition that podcast is gold.

Too long didn't listen: Hydrogen has a tough battle in the areas I actually thought it could win (high heat industrial processes for instance). Hydrogen is dead for most forms of transport except maybe long haul shipping and long haul aviation and even there there are considerable issues (eg the storage volume required is 3x current fuels so commensurate loss of cargo space). Ammonia is a better storage of hydrogen but toxic as hell. Green hydrogen (hydrogen from green energy) does not really exist yet and well, it has to be green or what is the point?
Will Volts Motors be coming out with a Hindenburg model Hydrogen SUV?

BoA Global Research - Neutral @ $900 PO: "Yes, TSLA’s 1Q:21 deliveries more than doubled YoY (and production increased 76% YoY), which is commendable. However, the growth rate appears much less pronounced when looking on a QoQ basis, up just about 2%"

"TSLA’s outlook for a more than 50% YoY increase in deliveries in 2021 implies a unit level of 750k+ ... Assuming TSLA’s outlook is somewhat correct (if not, potentially conservative) suggests that QoQ increases from this point may be just very modest, which we do not think will be perceived very constructively by the investment community"
These Masters of the Universe were so accurate for Q1 I'm sure their clients think super highly of them. "Modest" increases are going to include S&X delivery along with further ramps in China and Fremont. Then feed-in production from two new factories . . . what are they looking at?

Reactions: FireMedic
These Masters of the Universe were so accurate for Q1 I'm sure their clients think super highly of them. "Modest" increases are going to include S&X delivery along with further ramps in China and Fremont. Then feed-in production from two new factories . . . what are they looking at?
The knowledge gap they create between those that follow Tesla closely (like us) and those that don't will to continue to make us rich(er). I value these ignorant "analyses" - whether they are done out of true ignorance or on purpose doesn't matter in the long run.

Wow, that's just mind-blowingly insane.

"Tesla crushed our 1Q estimates, so obviously they'll do worse in the remaining quarters because our year-end estimates are obviously still correct."

What a wonderful representation of Wall-Street-think. Though I must admit, it does remind me of the circular gibberish I was sometimes forced to sell corporate execs back in my consulting days.