Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla, TSLA & the Investment World: the Perpetual Investors' Roundtable

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Always sad for the people and next of kin involved in any crash - even more so for fatal ones.

Even so, when either facing public/social or journalistic criticism Tesla sometimes has no choice but simply show the logs.

Re. prev. posts from Discoducky, Tesla has made the hard choice to invest deeply in making (or reverse-engineering) very low-level software for all the hardware controller components and sub-components. Not only can Tesla do over the air upgrades, they can use that capability to query/mine very granular types of data for example. This can be relevant in any crash, where the situation on the ground is, for some reason, not clear.
My guess is that Tesla can pull for example, but not limited to:
  • Driver-side-weight-sensor (driver present or not)
  • Braking, how much force and when
  • Airbag: deployed or not
  • AP/FSD: Enganged or not, when, warnings raised, warnings headed, etc.
  • Impact-sensor: Car impacted when and how much
  • Steering wheel: turned how much and when (perhaps rolling 10 sec window)
Now, I don't know if they can do so in all cases, but I seem to recall when a Tesla crashes, it tries to send (if networks are reachable) a few packets of data to Tesla, re. location of crash, and perhaps other things. Now aware of how much Tesla can pull remote and how much requires physical access to the vehicle. Would make sense if it is case-by-case, depending on how damaged the Tesla in question is.

@Discoducky: Please correct if I am mistaken in my interpretations - iff you are at liberty to say.

It sends a lot more than a few bits of data. It sends all the info regarding the crash it has (GPS coordinates, rate of speed, pressure sensors activated in the car and how much each passenger weighs, if and which foot pedals were pressed and how much, battery status details galore, etc.). It's a virtual treasure-trove of information.

EDIT - and video of all cameras about 20s before the crash through the event. Almost left that part out. This, however, takes longest to send and is the part most at risk of getting cut off if the damage to the car is too extensive or cellular signal is garbage.

SP grinding up to $776 today is +4.3%.
Another 2.96% tomorrow closes us at $799 and the MM's win.
Seems fairly logical to me.
Reversing the order is even more positive for MM's.

Way too much volume this morning to think they can keep this pegged below $750 today, let alone tomorrow. I think they'll conserve their ammo.

SP grinding up to $776 today is +4.3%.
Another 2.96% tomorrow closes us at $799 and the MM's win.
Seems fairly logical to me.
Reversing it is even more positive for MM's.

Way too much volume this morning to think they can keep this pegged below $750 today, let alone tomorrow. I think they'll conserve their ammo.

The call walls at 750 and 800 indicate this probably isn't going to happen. Not without some big BIG news that pushes volumes out of the MM's control.

Nearly 5m shares in 20 mins is a LOT of volume for MM's to be eating.

Unless of course a large group of people or institutions decided to sell at 9:36am the Thursday before a blowout quarterly earnings report. When they know with near certainty they could get a better price tomorrow. Maybe it was the guy who sold the $350M in shares yesterday at $727?

Lots of actual traders/investors do that. :rolleyes:

• Informative
Reactions: capster
Found this self explanatory graphic easy to use to share & deflate the folks duped by the FUD lying press. Courtesy of Twitter's Jim Hall
Needs to be posted on street walls, highway signs, Times Square etc., paid for Truth in Advertising (does this org still even exist?) ; D
Posting it to my Facebook / Instagram pages even tho I rarely use them - but many of my contacts do - let's all propagate this & make it viral.

TESLA.FUD.jpg

Last edited:
Great find - thanks!
Cool icon, very nice implementation with helpful guiding to lower speed - well done, Tesla!

Re. FUD: Yeah, Rob Maurer had a recent video called "Tesla FUD ramps up". True that!
History will show that you cannot really stop progress, but, you can, unfortunately, slow it down.
Who are the enemies of progress? I will leave that to you, dear reader.
I wouldn't want Vice or any other serious journalistic medium (haha) to accuse me of conspiracy theories...
I don’t think we can ever stop journalists from being lazy or having ulterior motives.

But for the big media outlets in the US, a law should be made that if a report is found to be incorrect, a new report must be given on the same venue with the same broadcasting and air schedule time so it reaches the same audience. Explicitly stating this is a correction by saying “we initially reported this but the correction is this”.

No more of this yelling from the rooftops of a problem and then whispering the correction. This would encourage the media to get it right the first time....real quick. Otherwise over time, they will look even less competent.

Last edited:
Found this self explanatory graphic easy to use to share & deflate the folks duped by the FUD lying press. Courtesy of Twitter's Jim Hall
Needs to be posted on street walls, highway signs, Times Square etc., paid for Truth in Advertising (does this org still even exist?) ; D
Posting it to my Facebook / Instagram pages even tho I rarely use them - but many of my contacts do - let's all propagate this & make it viral.

View attachment 655964

while i agree with the sentiment, it should be noted that the right-hand chart is made up, and not based on any actual data. if you present this image somewhere as fact, it will be easy for a hater to attack your credibility / objectivity. just a heads up.

Is this a known fact? Is there a source? I mean I knew it probably wasn't a dozen nerds in a basement but that sounds like .... a lot.

Many analysts seem to think FSD will have something 98% margin. That's gonna take several years to get to with that many on the payroll.

I dunno.... if Tesla is on track to sell 1 million cars, and only 1/3rd by FSD at it's current $10K price, that's $3.3bil in revenue. If you take 2% of that, you get $67mil. Distributing that across 800 folks = $83K salary. My bet is the labelers make nowhere near that much, and the software folks are getting high 5- or low 6-figure salaries and the labelers getting low 5-figures.

Given that the there's almost zero additional expense in distributing/enabling the software as the HW is already in the car, it may be that 98% GM for FSD isn't out of the question,

Here’s a question for the investor mee
I dunno.... if Tesla is on track to sell 1 million cars, and only 1/3rd by FSD at it's current $10K price, that's $3.3bil in revenue. If you take 2% of that, you get $67mil. Distributing that across 800 folks = $83K salary. My bet is the labelers make no where near that much, and the software folks are getting high 5 or low 6 figure salaries and the labelers getting low 5-figures.

Given that the there's almost zero additional expense in distributing/enabling the software as the HW is already in the car, it may be that 98% GM for FSD isn't out of the question,

Most of the software folks are easily getting in the high $100k to $200k region, without a doubt. Labelers are probably $50k-80kish. Remember they are in a high cost of living state. But I don't think the team is quite that large. Do you have a source on that?

Either way, once FSD is ready the margin will be extremely high. At some point it will only require a skeleton crew to maintain it.

Last edited:
I dunno.... if Tesla is on track to sell 1 million cars, and only 1/3rd by FSD at it's current $10K price, that's $3.3bil in revenue. If you take 2% of that, you get $67mil. Distributing that across 800 folks = $83K salary. My bet is the labelers make no where near that much, and the software folks are getting high 5 or low 6 figure salaries and the labelers getting low 5-figures.

i don't know what the industry is like out there, but those salaries wouldn't be remotely competitive in Northern VA for a good software developer in that field.