Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla, TSLA & the Investment World: the Perpetual Investors' Roundtable

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
At one time I thought the kid was being paid to cause trouble, until I read the car had only standard features. Now guessing it's for pure attention. I'd rather the kid did this vs buy a gun. Afterall, he could be an early Elon just running an experiment and pretty confident it would go well. Something I might try if I were 16. Possibly something Tesla sees as low-risk (of accident).

Not trying to defend the kids illegal behavior or minimize impact to the timeline at all. Instead, realize this is an artifact of the process to transition to full FSD. It always was, and it will be until it's done, and then some.

Tesla's mitigation should be to flag these folks which likely requires use of the cabin camera, more AI, and learning, more resources. But that's a competing resource to just proving the numbers and getting it out there ASAP. I think it's a balancing act and I doubt they want to open up any camera privacy issues at this time when things are so close to being real and undebatable through data. It's the right focus I think and kids will be kids.

Deep sea engineering is hard. The investor in me thinks mining these nodules is potentially the solution to the massive numbers of batteries required to make the transition to sustainable energy and could be a very profitable endeavor, but only if it's done right. It needs people with industrial/marine/mining engineering experience on an appropriate scale. The article says this:

A quick search shows BIG is an architectural group but I can't see they have industrial/marine engineering experience. This seems like the type of project that needs a lot of another kind of expertise, especially in the early stages when they are designing the method. Color me skeptical.

You can be skeptical, but BIG.DK has a lot of expertise and understanding what is needed for the future. I doubt they would throw themselves in something that they don’t know if it’s going to work, or something they didn’t think deeply about. Bjarke is leading a great team, bent on solving problems. Like Elon.

I'm starting to close the short legs of my bull call spreads. Just closed off a bunch of Jan 2022 1200c writes for around $18.50

I still have loads of short legs for Jan 2022 600c and some 800c that I can close if the price is right. Would be cool to have mostly longs positions rather than spreads.

Last edited:
Obviously "breaking" is iffy but the source seems solid.
235234234.JPG
E1M-52hWUAM44bR (1).jpg

Their excerpt on Lidar seems very directed at Tesla no?

“Lidars, or light detection and ranging systems, can sense surroundings and help cars avoid obstacles. They use light to create high-resolution images that provide a more accurate view of the world than cameras or radar alone.”

(… unless it’s true … I am no lidarentist. )
Pretty much. It goes way back to Elons public ridicule of Lidar on FSD day.

I've had my share of 3D scanners, same problems I would think. The point clouds are very messy, most of the laser does not reflect back and some take alternate routes creating bad data. In order to really see what things are, several scans from different angles become necessary, otherwise things become either more difficult to recognize or unrecognizable.

Since the main reason Tesla chose drop radar was due to conflicting data from cameras, imagine the conflict between a camera and full Lidar - which one do you go with at any moment? That's inherently a more complicated system (AI NN) with higher costs, more to go wrong, bigger, requires more CPU/power, and battery. It might work geofenced, but with the added risk of Artificial Schizophrenia Syndrome.

Obviously "breaking" is iffy but the source seems solid. View attachment 661607View attachment 661608
Technically this is a new official statement from Steinbach of today, but he is reiterating what he said before (after Elon supposedly extended the deadline for Tesla´s GF Berlin team to the end of the year). If Elon really did that, it would be interesting that he and the local officials switched positions in their timing estimates - I would go with Elon lowballing and taking the pressure off or wanting to start production only when local battery supply is also ready. All just speculation though.

Pretty much. It goes way back to Elons public ridicule of Lidar on FSD day.

I've had my share of 3D scanners, same problems I would think. The point clouds are very messy, most of the laser does not reflect back and some take alternate routes creating bad data. In order to really see what things are, several scans from different angles become necessary, otherwise things become either more difficult to recognize or unrecognizable.

Since the main reason Tesla chose drop radar was due to conflicting data from cameras, imagine the conflict between a camera and full Lidar - which one do you go with at any moment? That's inherently a more complicated system (AI NN) with higher costs, more to go wrong, bigger, requires more CPU/power, and battery. It might work geofenced, but with the added risk of Artificial Schizophrenia Syndrome.
This is such a no brainer (to me) but people still want to believe they know more than the people/company that’s writing code, trying it out at scale, rewriting, making mistakes, learning from the mistakes, starting over again, trying it out at scale, rewriting, etc... than the people/company married to the one way just because I can’t think beyond my nose and would rather bend backwards to control conditions to make it work.

Complain all you want about the missed timelines and the mistakes, I’m not listening to you because I know how this ends. I see it. I’ve seen it throughout life. You’re welcome for me supporting and believing in the method that you’ll get to benefit from down the road and won’t bother apologizing for all the negativity you heaped.

You is general you. If general you gets your nose in twist then I’m totally referring to you specifically.

This is such a no brainer (to me) but people still want to believe they know more than the people/company that’s writing code, trying it out at scale, rewriting, making mistakes, learning from the mistakes, starting over again, trying it out at scale, rewriting, etc... than the people/company married to the one way just because I can’t think beyond my nose and would rather bend backwards to control conditions to make it work.

Complain all you want about the missed timelines and the mistakes, I’m not listening to you because I know how this ends. I see it. I’ve seen it throughout life. You’re welcome for me supporting and believing in the method that you’ll get to benefit from down the road and won’t bother apologizing for all the negativity you heaped.

You is general you. If general you gets your nose in twist then I’m totally referring to you specifically.
I'm none of those, but maybe I'm unclear on something. So you think we need Lidar?

TL;DR: Waymo & Cruise have filed applications that are under review by the authorities to charge people for autonomous rides in San Fran.

"While permit approval from the California DMV will be crucial to both Waymo and Cruise in deploying paid autonomous rides, there’s another step after that. Both companies will then be required to apply for a permit from the California Public Utilities Commission (CPUC) before either can begin charging passengers.

At this point, neither tech company has revealed when they intend to launch these rideshare services. A lot will depend on if and when they are approved by the DMV and how quickly they can get that additional permit from the CPUC."

"The documents also show that Cruise initially plans to operate during the late evening to early morning hours, at speeds up to 30 mph. Waymo, on the other hand, stated plans to operate around the clock with speeds up to 65 mph."

Deep sea engineering is hard. The investor in me thinks mining these nodules is potentially the solution to the massive numbers of batteries required to make the transition to sustainable energy and could be a very profitable endeavor, but only if it's done right. It needs people with industrial/marine/mining engineering experience on an appropriate scale. The article says this:

A quick search shows BIG is an architectural group but I can't see they have industrial/marine engineering experience. This seems like the type of project that needs a lot of another kind of expertise, especially in the early stages when they are designing the method. Color me skeptical.
For what it is worth the company is also partnered with Allseas and Maersk.

Tut tut @StealthP3D, perhaps not the most constructive attitude, is it? Plucking up nodules with a floating robot and sending them up a hose like a vacuum cleaner is a clever idea in a needful area.

The couple behind the solar yacht company Silent Yachts outsourced the marine architecture and boat building, IIRC.

While it is true that the would be nodule collectors may need to bring aboard some further expertise on the engineering side and, likely, the money side, that is doable. Another response might be:

Great direction! I love, love the low impact plucking of the nodules.

The hose to raise the nodules seems like the weak link, at least out of the gate. It seems failure prone and costly to develop and to deploy, especially if you’re talking miles beneath the surface.

Since you’re developing the buoyant plucking robot, why not develop a second type of robot to ferry the nodules to a collector ship (or submarine)?

The multiple robots approach may give you better ability to scale from a tiny operation to a small to middling size operation while you prove out your approach—potentially adding the hose later. You’d also spread the failure risks across multiple units reducing the chance of a complete shutdown of the system if the hose fails.

The solar energy collection at the surface may help with the energy economics.

Perhaps they thought this through or perhaps not, but at least this approach engages folks, whereas what may be taken as "Pshaww" is off-putting.

Why is this relevant to Tesla and tech investors? We are living through an era of accelerating innovation. An open and encouraging, if critical, attitude towards innovative ideas will stand the investor in good stead.

Last edited:
At one time I thought the kid was being paid to cause trouble, until I read the car had only standard features. Now guessing it's for pure attention. I'd rather the kid did this vs buy a gun. Afterall, he could be an early Elon just running an experiment and pretty confident it would go well. Something I might try if I were 16. Possibly something Tesla sees as low-risk (of accident).

Not trying to defend the kids illegal behavior or minimize impact to the timeline at all. Instead, realize this is an artifact of the process to transition to full FSD. It always was, and it will be until it's done, and then some.

Tesla's mitigation should be to flag these folks which likely requires use of the cabin camera, more AI, and learning, more resources. But that's a competing resource to just proving the numbers and getting it out there ASAP. I think it's a balancing act and I doubt they want to open up any camera privacy issues at this time when things are so close to being real and undebatable through data. It's the right focus I think and kids will be kids.
This idiot’s shenanigans are very likely to result in a crash, possibly with injuries or even death. Furthermore, our government regulators will be compelled to investigate if Tesla needs to do a better job of preventing this behavior via additional nags or restrictions. Nothing is ever idiot-proof and I don’t want my AP (or FSD) compromised by the ever lowering least-common-denominator. I’m not usually pro-big brother, but in this case I support Tesla putting this driver in “auto-pilot jail” INDEFINITELY.

Well, I finally got my Dad in for $25K. I suggested to him that for that size investment, by the time Tesla has approved and working Level 4/5, it should approximately buy him a MY. My timeline might be a little skewed, but it feels reasonable (especially if we’ve got tax rebates!)

BTW, this is NOT a significant investment for him, but the timing here likely corresponds to when he should probably stop driving himself anyways.