Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla, TSLA & the Investment World: the Perpetual Investors' Roundtable

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Lawyer cancelled. When does a lawyer ever give up free air time?
In this case? Probably heard from Tesla that they have digital logs of the event.

At least that's my guess.

Just as well: One of the talking heads, after learning the lawyer cancelled, asked LeBeau "Was this a battery fire?"

As opposed to what, the gas tank that it doesn't have? CNBS rears its clueless head once again.

Agree. 14:37 top cover comes off, mica sheet, then bare modules.

The new (Plaid) pack might be different.

I recommend we all just wait and see how this plays out.
There are a few thousand new Model S cars in circulation, I have a hunch that they are not all sitting around in garages. I am sure Tesla did a good job of designing and testing the car.

If there is anything at all suspicious about the incident the insurance company will investigate in depth.

Sometimes a really low probability event requiring bizarre cicumstances happens early.

Some sort of accident or event triggering the problem remains the most likely cause.

Lawyer cancelled. When does a lawyer ever give up free air time?
Everyone rich knows everyone else rich in LA. Imagine thinking Elon doesn't know someone who knows someone who knows this lawyer. Whoever this owner is, and if he's funded by TSLAQ I'll laugh, he shouldn't have picked an LA-based celebrity lawyer to pursue false and spurious claims against the 2nd richest man in the world who also lived in LA for a long time.

Plot getting thicker:
Bart Smith — the head of the digital asset group at trading firm Susquehanna International, who has been dubbed the “Crypto King” by CNBC - was driving his brand-new $124,000 vehicle…
The question is, is this guy in charge of Bitcoin investing or TSLA call selling?

Did I hear right that Susquehanna became a big TSLA holder purely because of hedging sold calls? That must’ve been a painful process.

Last edited:
As previously noted 200k Global Tesla Deliveries vs 475k US Ford Sales.

Ford lost almost half of Q2 production due to parts shortages from suppliers.

Ford has thousands perhaps 10s of thousands of F Series built and stored in three factory parking lots waiting for microchips. F Series inventory is at record lows.

My heart bleeds for them.

Perhaps the upside is that this leaves plenty of Ford F truck buyers available for all of those many, many F Lightenings Ford’s surely gonna build. Uh huh, yes they will too build them ‘cause Ford cares about climate change almost as much as Exxon’s lobbyists say Exxon cares. /s

edit: Wait, is it "could care less" or "couldn’t care less" in their neck of the woods? ;)

Update on FSD timelines / very funny Elon in response to China's manned Mars mission in 2033 & 'Elon Time'

1625263017795.png

TLDR: in my experience: Tesla service bad. But there's also awesomeness came out of the service: tech service manager has FSD beta and said Tesla target 1M this year, and double next yr. Talk a bit about CT

The bad:
My model 3 autopilot swerves to the left upon activation, and stay to the left side of the lane, sometime crossing the lane line. The problem randomly comes on, maybe 1 out of every 1 or 7 times, so it's very hard and time consuming to replicate and fix.

This was my second trip to the service for the same problem. They call me to pick up my 3. When I pick up my 3 from Tesla Service, I tested autopilot right away, same damn problem still occur, video record the scene.
Came right back Tesla, show service advisor the record, she said "not good enough because autopilot or FSD not suppose to work in city street, it suppose to be highway only", (what??!!!) argue a bit with her, then service tech/store manager came out. (story is longer and worse than this, but that's not the point of this post)

The good:
Lets go test the car with the manager. I told him this autopilot issue fix is very important to me because I have life saving invested in Tesla and my #1 investement thesis heavily evolves around FSD. If this problem cant be fix, I will loose faith in the FSD. Then we talk back and forth about FSD and Tesla. Bit of useful info he told me, take it with grain of salt or however you like:

1. He has FSD beta: "drives to work without intervention"
"works really well on the highways, but needs more improvement in city street" I ask him which beta version he has, "do you have v9?" he doesnt seem to know or wanna tell me.

2. After removal/separation of Mobileye, it set back FSD/autopilot couple years. Did not know what happen between Tesla and Mobileye.

3. Tesla is targeting doubling vehicle sale this year and next year. "1M this year, 2 next, 3M, 4M so on"
I ask is that Tesla internal target? "yes"

4. "CyberTruck is simple to make because of its simple shape design, easier process to mold into given shape." (sorry I dont remember his exact word) I ask "exoskeleton is new tech for cars, usually new tech introduce lots of new problem" He still stick with "simple"

During the test drive, he witness the problem. He seen this problem before and that camera alignment usually does the trick. He will personally look over the problem.

unfortunately the washington post has a very negative slanted article and the comments mirror it

“Tesla Model S Plaid erupts in flames and briefly traps owner after electronic doors fail, attorneys say”
headline of article in bold large type

I was infuriated by this final sentence from the article. What an incredibly damaging insinuation given with no support.

"The fire involving one of the few Plaid models already in the hands of customers raises questions about long-simmering concerns about Tesla’s approach to electrification, which involves different battery chemistry from competitors and maximizing range and performance compared with that of rivals."

Looking at the author's publication history it's mostly Uber and Tesla. If you are only covering Tesla and no other auto company (which I think might be the case for some of our other favorite reporters), how do you not find yourself biased to believe that fires are more common when that's your job to selectively report Tesla fires only? It would take a lot of extra work and conscientiousness to avoid this trap.

Hold the phone, if the flaming Plaid owner was with Susquehanna, I think that warrants an investigation into whether Susquehanna (or this individual) has a greater than normal number of expiring sold options, or is under the water profit-wise.
Huge Tsla share backers wouldn't make a huge fuss about this, lawyering up, having lawyers go on TV shows and tweeting unless you enjoy losing more money than a 130k car within seconds. Now it's getting fishy

Plot getting thicker:

The question is, is this guy in charge of Bitcoin investing or TSLA call selling?

Did I hear right that Susquehanna became a big TSLA holder purely because of hedging sold calls? That must’ve been a painful process.
I agree that there is a good chance these people were not aware of Tesla's ability to monitor the activities in and around any Tesla and, that that is the reason they canceled. However, IMO, this is a great ending to this attempt at manipulation. In my days as a broker (1989 through 2008), I can say that Susquehanna had an incredibly bad reputation of using naked shorting to manipulate stock prices. If I were Elon, even though they aborted their attempt at manipulation, I'd go after them any way. JMO.

Huge Tsla share backers wouldn't make a huge fuss about this, lawyering up, having lawyers go on TV shows and tweeting unless you enjoy losing more money than a 130k car within seconds. Now it's getting fishy
They own a number of shares due to needing to delta hedge their overall short position on Tesla.

This has indirectly made them a large shareholder, but not because they believe in the mission, but much more the opposite… their short position would be much larger than their owned share position.

This dude is the head of their digital currency division.

I bet he doesn't like how much influence Musk has on crypto prices.

It's actually good news that he has some skin in the game (working for sell side analysis financial institution). This almost automatically takes away the amount of weight people will give to this story in the court of public opinion.