Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla, TSLA & the Investment World: the Perpetual Investors' Roundtable

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Here are the battery size and fleet size numbers I have been collecting. As it happens I am working to improve my fleet km-driven information so I'll post that up when I've done it.

(If anyone has a set of annual financials, or ideally quarterly, for 2008-2012 that would be most helpful. You may notice minor changes in some of my numbers if you look carefully - that is because I am working bacwards to try to eliminate any issues with the start-point where occasionally I have assumed some 'seed' numbers.)

View attachment 697645

And here are the cumulative distance driven numbers I am estimating for the benefit of anyone such as @winfield100

1629222319950.png

I'm gonna hold off raging against the media because they are a known problem that is consistently problematic and haven't had much impact the last 10 years if one considers where Tesla is despite it. I'm also gonna hold off raging about the NHTSA right now because they haven't done anything. I'm also gonna hold off Biden chatting with mostly Detroit because I get the politics and most people aren't paying attention to nose rubbing. I'm also going to hold off any handwringing about China government because I can't do anything about it and that's just a risk.

However, 2500$ for unions if it passes will anger me, as would a 40k$ cap, and any draconian decision by NHTSA will infuriate me. The things I will do.. I know now what.. but they shall be the terrors of the Earth! (presumably a mean letter).

In the meantime, I'm picking up Sept '22 (edit: oops meant to buy those but bought Jan '22 no wonder it was so cheap) options at strike 700 for 70 bucks and saying thanks! I've also sold all my crypto and will begin the 100 day effort to somehow relocate those funds to my broker.

I’m sitting outside CarMax waiting for an Uber, as I just sold my ultra-ICE ride, an F-350 diesel ($44K! and it’s just over 6 years old), and a father & son, about 12, were just walking in. The son turned to his dad as they got to the door and said, “Dad, you should buy a Tesla,” as if it had just occurred to him.

Moral: seek your used ICE cars now while there’s still a (Very good) market.

I'm gonna hold off raging against the media because they are a known problem that is consistently problematic and haven't had much impact the last 10 years if one considers where Tesla is despite it. I'm also gonna hold off raging about the NHTSA right now because they haven't done anything. I'm also gonna hold off Biden chatting with mostly Detroit because I get the politics and most people aren't paying attention to nose rubbing. I'm also going to hold off any handwringing about China government because I can't do anything about it and that's just a risk.

However, 2500$ for unions if it passes will anger me, as would a 40k$ cap, and any draconian decision by NHTSA will infuriate me. The things I will do.. I know now what.. but they shall be the terrors of the Earth! (presumably a mean letter).

In the meantime, I'm picking up Sept '22 (edit: oops meant to buy those but bought Jan '22 no wonder it was so cheap) options at strike 700 for 70 bucks and saying thanks! I've also sold all my crypto and will begin the 100 day effort to somehow relocate those funds to my broker.
I don't have too much of a problem with the union worker concept, but I do with the amount. If it's typically 30 labor hours per vehicle, that's a subsidy of over $80 per hour.

If people could stop trying to call the bottom.....that'd be nice.

Everytime someone has, literally minutes later it plunges lower lol
This is definitely the top.

I’m sitting outside CarMax waiting for an Uber, as I just sold my ultra-ICE ride, an F-350 diesel ($44K! and it’s just over 6 years old), and a father & son, about 12, were just walking in. The son turned to his dad as they got to the door and said, “Dad, you should buy a Tesla,” as if it had just occurred to him.

Moral: seek your used ICE cars now while there’s still a (Very good) market.
I used to feel like I needed to "sell" Teslas to people when it came up in conversation. No more.

Do you think that would fly? If a car on FSD causes an accident and NHTSA or NTSB or whoever asks “why did it move that way?“ and Tesla can only shrug and say “because the neural net told it to” I think that could be a problem. Without some ‘reasoning’ behind its actions it seems much harder to create trust.

But… they know better than me. I guess we’ll see.
Yes, but the simple answer would be ”because radar gave us poor data”. Oh, and we’ve already fixed that problem prior to you opening the investigation….

Reactions: Carl Raymond
Highly doubt it….this is going back to the lows off the blockbuster earnings for a day or two

The lack of volume seems pretty clear now. No doubt Wall St knew this was coming

Well sussed. Marched right to the July 26 low:

sc.TSLA.50-DayChart.2021-08-17.14-28.png

Down 10% from the post-earnings peak. Now the question is will they shoot for the Lower-BB before AI day (just in case its really good)?