Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla, TSLA & the Investment World: the Perpetual Investors' Roundtable

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
The car maker doesn't get the extra money though unless they raise the price of the vehicle.

The GMs of the world have a much easier way to do this because their pricing is so much less transparent.

They can leave MSRP where it is, then just fudge around with the amount of MFG rebates. They did this with the bolt--- the street price didn't change a ton when the tax credits went away, but GM had to eat more of the discount off MSRP rather than letting the government do it.

For GM to capture that tax credit into their own pockets again they only need remove those MFG incentives without touching the "public" price of the car.

Tesla, since they don't do that nonsense, had to actually cut prices when the credits went away.

They've since creeped them back up some (whole other discussion on the many ideas floated why- some of which include anticipating a new credit)- but if they wanted to capture MORE of that $ they'd need to raise the actual price since they don't play those hidden pricing games like legacy does.

Plus- the union would still be there after the credits weren't. Whole other debate if that's "worth" access to the credit of course.

I'm not doing that. At all.

I'm pointing out you seem to think I made an argument I never made, and are now asking me to defend something I never said.

Not even remotely no.

Especially when you never asked that specific question about "all" unions- nor did I ever make any claims about "all" unions the entire time.

You seem to be having a different discussion than the one I've actually posted in.
Absolutely I would expect tesla to raise pricing if their vehicles became eligible for a $4.5k subsidy. Also, even if they didn’t raise pricing by the same amount, the subsidy would mean more people choosing higher trim SKUs, increasing company margins.

Also remember tesla sells annually many vehicles per employee - so a $1-$2k increase in per employee annual costs would only equate to less than a couple of hundred dollars per vehicle, Vs the $4,500 subsidy benefit each vehicle becomes eligible for. So even if tesla “only” increased pricing by $2k in response to their vehicles becoming eligible (meaning for customers the vehicles become $2.5k cheaper) - then the price increase is still 10x-20x higher than the increased labour costs, leading to much better margins.

Last edited:
  • Informative
Reactions: dhanson865
Fair enough, I thought you could recommend one. I'll give you a second chance to name an actual union that you believe is not corrupt. It's okay to say simply that you cannot think of one.

I can, but none are in the auto industry- so they don't seem super relevant.

For example a friend of mine is a lead attorney for a nurses union in Minnesota that is quite well run. Doesn't seem a good fit for Tesla workers though....

Since Tesla has some amazing workers, maybe their employees are destined to revolutionize unions and will usher in a new era in worker success and happiness!
Cute idea but if Tesla is going to add unions to it's list of disrupted industries, I hope it does so by making unions a thing of the past. Companies should be able to offer jobs for whatever pay and whatever conditions they see fit and people should be free to choose if they accept those terms. Right now, the "people" have the upper hand without any help from unions.

People who have over 50% of their portfolio invested in TSLA should be able to skip the line to order the car. These queues are ridiculous.

Can someone famous tweet this out to Elon for consideration?

/semi serious
Isn't that already handled by buying a Performance or Plaid version to get the shorter wait time?

I'm OK waiting for my SR+ or some config that doesn't exist yet (on the cheap end of what's going to be coming out of Austin). But if you want it quick you can pay for something from Fremont now.

People who have over 50% of their portfolio invested in TSLA should be able to skip the line to order the car. These queues are ridiculous.

/semi serious
While I doubt they could do it based on % of portfolio, there are certainly shareholder perks out there. I think Berkshire offers discounts at their shareholders festival thing.

/semi serious
I ordered a Plaid on October 1st - White/White CF and am slated for delivery 10/26-11-6... Not bad, figured I would chime in since I am also in Tampa.

Isn't that already handled by buying a Performance or Plaid version to get the shorter wait time?

I'm OK waiting for my SR+ or some config that doesn't exist yet (on the cheap end of what's going to be coming out of Austin). But if you want it quick you can pay for something from Fremont now.
I ordered a Plaid on October 1st - White/White CF and am slated for delivery 10/26-11-6... Not bad, figured I would chime in since I am also in Tampa.

@dhanson865 Thats what I did today. I couldn't wait until April for a LR so I ordered Performance. I don't really need Performance ( don't like the wheels and lower suspension) but the wait is just too long for LR.

I get your desire to redirect away from my line of questioning. Is it safe to assume from your redirect that you in fact cannot identify a union that is not corrupt, a union that actually negotiates in good faith on behalf of its members?

Let's stipulate that a union can in theory be a very positive thing for workers. The problem, however, comes down to actual practice. If in practice all actual unions are corrupt, then the only recommended options for Tesla workers would be to form a brand new union of their own and try to avoid eventual corruption in actual practice or simply remain without union representation.
Wow, that's pretty cynical.

At risk of us being relegated to the "snarky" thread, you could argue all Unions are corrupt just as easily as you could argue all businesses are exploitive of their workers to generate maximum profit - including Tesla. If Tesla can be an exceptional business, then there's a Union that could be an exceptional Union.

(I don't actually have a strong opinion on this Union rebate-debate-hate, I just don't like the sweeping assumptions on either side of the argument.)

I know the community tends to be split over Tesla’s PR/marketing (or lack thereof), but these videos highlighting different lesser-known aspects of Tesla are awesome. Elon hates the presence of, or even appearance of, deception in advertising. But the team has done a great job with these videos humbly showcasing the incredible leading-edge work they’re doing. Fun for fans and informative for folks new to the brand.