Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla, TSLA & the Investment World: the Perpetual Investors' Roundtable

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
1. It's been a while since I heard anything about Tesla's Austin lithium refinery, or the new NC lithium mine to be developed by an Australian company that has a contract with Tesla; or mining lithium salt in NV. Has there been any info I may have missed?

2. People assume that because OEM's and battery manufacturers talk less than Tesla about their plans that they're nowhere. GM and LG might be way behind Tesla in development of battery technology, but I don't think we know that.
I've been taking a keen interest in the Lithium clay extraction process, because it may be more important than many realise, not for 2022, but for 3 TWh by 2030.

I also haven't seen any update on the project.

VP Harris reconvenes and expands the Space Council. I listen to the whole meeting. It was pretty good. I does seem that the Biden Harris Administration does want to get out in front on the opportunities of space exploration.

So, will the Biden administration kick it off by telling everyone that Jeff Bezos did this?

Yikes.....

Porsche Whistleblower: “60% of all delivered Taycan have battery issues that caused replacements, damages and fires”​

Porsche execs trying to cheat and lie so bad that either no one finds out or they do find out and end up building a "Porsche" charging infrastructure network like their parents VW.
charlie.jpg

• Funny
Reactions: UCF3 and FireMedic
^ Lets await some actual confirmation of that before we bury Porsche aye, it doesnt look very legit for now
Yep, there are a lot of things in that article that just seem plain wrong. For example:
  • I haven't seen a single EV pack where a cell, or module, can be disabled like the article claims Porsche is doing.
    • They just aren't wired that way. (I haven't seen the Porsche pack so I don't know for sure that they didn't go to this great expense and complication but I highly doubt that they did that.)
  • It says almost all BEVs charge in parallel, but yet every one I know of charges cells in series.
    • Again, they just aren't wired in a way to make that possible.
So at this point I am leaning to it being FUD. (Or there was a lot lost in translation between the real information and what made it into the article.)

Last edited:

“Twelve foreign automakers with non-unionized U.S. workforces — including Toyota, Volkswagen Group of America and BMW of North America — also sent a letter to congressional leadership yesterday opposing the bonus EV tax credit.

A General Motors spokesman said the company supports the provision. Ford didn't respond to a request for comment, while Tesla dissolved its PR department last year and couldn't be reached for comment.”

Yep, there are a lot of things in that article that just seem plain wrong. For example:
  • I haven't seen a single EV pack where a cell, or module, can be disabled like the article claims Porsche is doing.
    • They just aren't wired that way. (I haven't seen the Porsche pack so I don't know for sure that they didn't go to this great expense and complication but I highly doubt that they did that.)
  • It says almost all BEVs charge in parallel, but yet every one I know of charges cells in series.
So at this point I am leaning to it being FUD. (Or there was a lot lost in translation between the real information and what made it into the article.)
Agreed. It also repeated blames a cheap "charger" for the issue - but the "charger" typically has nothing to do with monitoring voltages at the cell level. The BMS (Battery Management System) is the primary system responsible for making sure that each group of parallel cells are within appropriate voltage ranges as well as making sure that the pack remains balanced. It would also be responsible for monitoring overall health of the pack and setting appropriate charge / discharge power limits, etc.

The "charger" is usually in reference to the AC / DC converter module that converts AC voltage to DC voltage. It doesn't even get involved with DC charging, unless perhaps part of it is also responsible for DC communications.

Now because of the 396-cell battery pack, which is for some reason appears to be arranged as a 2P-198S configuration - I don't see any easy way to isolate a cell unless they bypass a cell from each pack. Doing so wouldn't actually cause much capacity to be lost - about 0.5%. But this configuration means they need double the number of monitoring and balancing circuits - each cell needs to be individually monitored so that's 396 cell monitors. I'm not sure why they would do this if they were worried about cost - so maybe it's actually a 198S-2P configuration? Or maybe they really were worried about cells dying and wanted to be able to bypass cells?

Compare this to Tesla's BMS which in the Model 3/Y which uses a 96S-48P (96 modules of 48 cells in parallel hooked in series) - only 96 cell monitors are needed. Now, if one cell dies and becomes dead weight, this would result in about a 2% reduction in capacity.

When you drive a Tesla, the ownership experience just gets better and better over time. How many Ford owners can say that? ;)

"The first known Starlink dish at a Supercharger in Canada was spotted this afternoon at the 20-stall Surrey Supercharger at Guildford Town Centre, just outside of Vancouver, British Columbia.​
"The good news is that the dish was already active, and our reader tells us his car automatically connected to the WiFi network.​
"To help alleviate the pressure, another two Supercharger stations are under construction in the area – one in North Surrey and another in South Surrey.​
"Free WiFi will be a huge bonus for owners visiting this Supercharger in particular. Surrey has one of the largest populations of Tesla owners in the lower mainland, and long line ups at this V2 Supercharger are not uncommon."​

Cheers!

I think that the EV transition is going to be especially hard on Japan and Germany. First off, on both, ICE manufacturing and exports are a very large percentage of their GDP, and this has a large multiplier effect (ie factory workers spending on goods and services). This means there is a reflexive effect whereby the ability of the governments of these countries to bail out their automotive industries decreases greatly as the call for bailouts rises.

In Japan, most of their industry has been stupidly avoiding the EV transition as much as possible. Japan is already the most indebted country in the world, and they already run gigantic deficits every year. A large economic downturn combined with bailing out their auto industry could actually bankrupt their entire country and plunge the yen into collapse. At this point I think this scenario is more likely than not unfortunately as Japan inc (especially Toyota) tries to pretend EVs aren’t real.

In Germany, a few years ago when the European periphery was basically in an economic depression, Germany told them to get bent and forced austerity on them. When the shoe is on the other foot, and Germany is asking the rest of Europe to help bail out its ICE industry I suspect much of the rest of Europe is going to tell Germany the same thing Germany told them: austerity time.
Largely agree, although wasn’t part of Germany’s drive for austerity in neighboring countries an attempt to minimize the cost to Germany of EU supports (since they cover a great deal of it and have many domestic issues to sort out)? Wonder if Elon is interested in addressing the Japanese market with a local GF? Otherwise Japan will be flooded with Chinese exports.

• Informative
Reactions: Mike Ambler